IGNORED

Jaguar CD+

YarsFan

What are the odds that the next Atari+ release will be a Jaguar CD+, where the marketing can also point towards how it can used as a music CD player with HDMI (CDs are due for a retro comeback - still the best fidelity)?

Maybe add some light shows, including perhaps an “Atari Video Music” feature?

What would also make it amazing would be if it had Polymega-like capabilities allowing it to run all the CDs game that the Polymega does? Obviously a cartridge slot for retro Jaguar games, some Jaguar re-releases (do whatever it takes to get Alien Vs. Predator re-released), and an online store for independent developers to make new Jaguar games. Add a slot for SD cards, and enable the 2020s VCS owners to run most of their VCS games on the Jaguar CD+ if they like (whichever games the Jaguar hardware can handle). Enable all Atari wireless controllers to work on it, but include one OG Jaguar ProController. 

This just feels like a really great opportunity for Atari, especially since the Jaguar was always a lot cooler than history remembers it. And the toilet memes could really make the thing go viral, especially if they leaned heavily on trying to make listening to music on CDs cool again (bringing back Atari Video Music, both the OG and a modern version, would be so epic). 

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 2

I like the suggestion about the JagDuo that was made here:

As to the odds of any Jag products coming soon, I'd say the odds are probably lower than many of us like. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

I'm looking forward to repro Jagpads. I hope they improve the dpad first though

...and keep the DE15 connector so we can use them on the STe/Falcon 🙂

Did they sell out of the Reproduction Jaguar Pro controllers?  I think the fittings / spacing was a little off as the buttons would come loose, other than that they worked fine.  You can get non-pro ones off ebay for pretty cheap, as someone found a few boxes unopened of them...

Besides, you need a PowerPad for the STe/Falcon!  They look cooler (though have shorter cords).

16 hours ago, leech said:

Did they sell out of the Reproduction Jaguar Pro controllers?  I think the fittings / spacing was a little off as the buttons would come loose, other than that they worked fine.  You can get non-pro ones off ebay for pretty cheap, as someone found a few boxes unopened of them...

Besides, you need a PowerPad for the STe/Falcon!  They look cooler (though have shorter cords).

I have a Jaguar so I use those pads with my STe. It would be nice if there were more in circulation though and I'd definitely buy a new one if the dpad was improved.

..and yes, if they came in grey - I'd definitely be on board.

This is not me speaking personally for Atari, but I very much doubt that if a Jaguar+ console (or something similar) was designed, that it would contain a physical CD drive.  I just can't see that happening.  However, I would hope that CD games were supported, just you would need to load them up another way. 

..Al

• Like 1

My faith in companies making products geared towards how I would like to enjoy my hobby is near nil.

Someone needs to get excited about MiSTer Jaguar cores again.  Cheaper clones are just about out.  There seems to be an active community making both hardware and software.

• Like 1

Albert is right. While a jag, or jag CD might come, I figure it would be 400 style minus any physical media port. I'd love one for sure, but having two media ports is unlikely.

Still be nice though, as I said in the other post, the exorbitant price for jag stuff kills most peoples access to it, which is a pitty, for those of us who bought it for a song in the 90's, I can say its a great, and powerful 16 bit era console, that most can't experience because $$$

Aliens vs predator won't happen. Don't remember who made it, but having to license avp franchise holder AND whoever made it would be an expensive convoluted proposition. If licensing issues weren't a thing, I'd add doom to that mix.

Still, jag mini would be cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Video said:

Albert is right. While a jag, or jag CD might come, I figure it would be 400 style minus any physical media port. I'd love one for sure, but having two media ports is unlikely.

Still be nice though, as I said in the other post, the exorbitant price for jag stuff kills most peoples access to it, which is a pitty, for those of us who bought it for a song in the 90's, I can say its a great, and powerful 16 bit era console, that most can't experience because $$$

Aliens vs predator won't happen. Don't remember who made it, but having to license avp franchise holder AND whoever made it would be an expensive convoluted proposition. If licensing issues weren't a thing, I'd add doom to that mix.

Still, jag mini would be cool.

Yep, not having AvP would be a killer. It's possibly the only Jag game that people outside of the Jag community have heard of. But there are some new games that would make it worthwhile. Even though I own a Jag, being in the UK makes the AA games unaffordable so having them on a mini (or whatever) would be great. If a few became available on Amazon, even better.

Posted (edited)

So Alien Vs. Predator was developed by Rebellion Developments, who are still in business and who made Alien Vs. Predator branded games as recently as 2010. Obviously there have been many Alien Vs. Predator movies since the 1990s, so it does not seem impossible. Maybe Atari makes it the pack-in game and agrees to pay a royalty to Rebellion Developments and the copyright owners of Alien and Predator. Why would they turn down money for nothing?

I still think building the Jaguar+ with a fixed CD accessory with the cartridge slot opens up the marketing possibilities: Music CDs are now retro and due for a comeback. People want light shows with music, so giving them that with a music CD via HDMI is appealing to light gamers. Plus, a partnership with Playmaji could possibly make the Jaguar+ on par with the Polymega in some ways. Ideally Atari buys out Playmaji, stops production on Polymega, and makes Jaguar+ the new ultimate retro station where cartridge adapters can be developed for folks who want to play NES, SNES, TG-16, N64, Genesis, Master System, etc. 

Just a simple cartridge-based Jaguar+ that only plays Jaguar games just seems far more limited and therefore far more unlikely. 

Circling back to the idea of Alien Vs. Predator as the pack-in game, those franchises have become SOOO huge in the last thirty years that having that game as the killer-app would move systems on its own. 

How cool would it be for Jaguar and associated branding to once again become the flagship system/marketing for Atari via Jaguar+ (it was always the coolest branding even though the system did not quite hit the mark on sales)? And this time they nail it by making it the ultimate retro system with an online shop and fully compatible with VCS controllers? Such potential. This could really get Atari back in the game by being THE retro gaming company. 

Edited by YarsFan

The ideal is, in addition to the console (Jaguar +) with cartridge port and why not CD player but in a shape that does not look like a toilet ;-)

is to add the VR headset with a game for that, and plan future jaguar games.

it will be the best 🙂

Yeah the 3d setup would be cool, but they got what, 2 games that would use it?

There's tons of post jag games that would be cool to get too, battle sphere comes to mind that got a limited run for some reason and as a result has really limited access due to price.

While there wasn't a lot of musthaves on jag, the good games tended to be really good. Ruiner and phantasy pinball were great, despite the hate people gave it, Atari carts was good, and deeper than most give it credit for. Iron soldier. Then there's IS 2 and club drive, that really need the CD drive. Well, IS2 did get a cart release. The CD makes sense to me, but with like half a dozen official games, it might not make sense on atari's end. Still for like a decade, homebrew came out almost exclusively for CD, though I can't comment on their worth as I, and I assume many others, never acquired the expensive add-on.

As for styling, I like the original duo mockups from bitd. The jag, plus CD looked like ass to a lot of people, sure, but I kind of liked it, even if it does look like a scyfy space toilet. If Atari did a jag+ A CD would be cool, but required built in, I just find it more likely it would be a collection of CD games built into an internal ROM. I'd love a CD, and the vlm was cool. Modern consoles missed out not supporting CD despite having disc drives. I don't get much use our of my ps4 or Xbox one consoles, but still get a ton out of my 360, as much as anything, because it plays CDs (and has a pretty awesome visualizer)

On 8/23/2024 at 11:41 AM, Albert said:

This is not me speaking personally for Atari, but I very much doubt that if a Jaguar+ console (or something similar) was designed, that it would contain a physical CD drive.  I just can't see that happening.  However, I would hope that CD games were supported, just you would need to load them up another way. 

..Al

At this point, I'm tempted to buy a few backup CD mechanisms for my JagCD, I've had to replace mine once, long ago (not that I've used the jagcd a lot since).  Optical drives seem to be going the way of floppy drives.  If it weren't for movies, they would have gone away by now.  There were only 14(?) official releases on the JagCD, and most of them were 'meh'.  Primal Rage, with some fixes and loaded from flash memory would be nice though.  Battlemorph and Blue Lightning were decent versions, and I seriously wish Highlander had gotten the full trilogy.  But the rest of the games I think are available for other platforms.

How about just a Tempest standalone console with a super high quality spinner?  It's the only game I own for my Jaguar, which I bought brand new in Tower Records in Chicago, when it came out.

And yes, I have a sad modded controller, using a 2600 paddle (knob filled with pennies) that I rigged. LOL

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

How about just a Tempest standalone console with a super high quality spinner?  It's the only game I own for my Jaguar, which I bought brand new in Tower Records in Chicago, when it came out.

This please. No way I could turn down Tempest with a good spinner.

The Jaguar is the only Atari console I don’t have in my collection and boy are they pricey. Their neck and neck with the Vectrex.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 9:54 AM, Bakasama said:

Then again, nobody thought the 7800+ would be a thing but that mini console is real.

this didn't much to do, just make a new shell for the 2600+ add a few controllers, and wireless.

the jaguar would be a lot more to do, with even less of a demand.

i had one that i got used for cheap, plus the cd, and the light add-on, but gave them away a long time ago, when i got tired of it.

i did buy it for tempest 2000 only.

later

|  || | | 

ne gative1

1 hour ago, MASTER260 said:

FYI, I'm pretty sure the Alien & Predator franchises were owned by Fox, which means they're owned by Disney now lol.

Yes.  I always found it odd that there are plenty of Alien games, several Alien vs Predator games.  But there have never been (as far as I'm aware) any games based solely on the Predator (at least since 1991 when Predator 2 came out, and there were a few iterations of the first Predator).  We've had quite a few new movies since then though...

'Over here.... turn around...'