IGNORED

Atari 7800+ vs S video modded 7800

JOD-I

So just before The atari 2600+ was announced, I spent a pretty penny getting an S video modded atari 7800.  I spent more for a retrotink 2x pro.  I got my hands on a Concerto Cartridge.  I noticed that some people complained about certain 2600 games not working or fitting into a 7800 so I got a multicart selector to get around those games that would not fit into my 7800 so that they would fit and work.   I am telling everyone about this so that you could save a lot of money just getting a 7800+ when it comes out.  I am definitely tempted to get a 7800+ myself.  I know it is not perfect but at least ATARI continues to try to fix the problems they find as they find them with updates, etc...  I also like that they continue to release new games and controllers that will work with original hardware and their plus systems.  I originally was one of the true hardware or bust type of gamer but seeing that ATARI actually cares about keeping retrogaming with atari games alive has softened me a little. 

• Like 7

How would you rate the picture quality of your modded 7800 when plugged into a newer TV? I realize that you're never gonna get an HD type of picture like you will with the + systems. I was considering investing in a modded 7800 in the near future.

• Like 1

bigfriendly

I would consider it very good.  Not perfect but very good.  Considering that when I was a kid fighting with the TV just to not have a fuzzy screen was an issue back in the day, I am very Happy with the picture quality.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JOD-I said:

So just before The atari 2600+ was announced, I spent a pretty penny getting an S video modded atari 7800.  I spent more for a retrotink 2x pro.  I got my hands on a Concerto Cartridge.  I noticed that some people complained about certain 2600 games not working or fitting into a 7800 so I got a multicart selector to get around those games that would not fit into my 7800 so that they would fit and work.   I am telling everyone about this so that you could save a lot of money just getting a 7800+ when it comes out.  I am definitely tempted to get a 7800+ myself.  I know it is not perfect but at least ATARI continues to try to fix the problems they find as they find them with updates, etc...  I also like that they continue to release new games and controllers that will work with original hardware and their plus systems.  I originally was one of the true hardware or bust type of gamer but seeing that ATARI actually cares about keeping retrogaming with atari games alive has softened me a little. 

I have a similar setup with Retrotink5x but just a basic AV mod.

Yours should look much better as I have my C64 with S Video connected to the tink.

But I really got used to the hdmi output and today I sold my spare unmodded 7800.

I like the 2600/7800+ as it can handle PAL and NTSC games. Space Duell NTSC did not look good on a PAL machine, Robotron did not work at all and so on.

It is so nice you can pick the best version now  and do not have to care.

Pitfall at full speed... oh yeah!

My real 7800 is hooked up still for Trakball (Centpede TB!) and Atarivox games.

I hope on the 7800+ (or even 2600+) they will get the Trakball running then it will be just the Atarivox...

I might keep my 7800 next to the 7800+ on same shelf but will play 80% of my time on the 7800+🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I don't have a 7800 with S Video mod but I do have a 7800 with an AV mod.  It's hooked up to an older smart TV that has an AV port.  Picture looks good enough to me.

hdmi is signficantly better than any "composite" or "component" in. sorry, but also not sorry. 

• Like 1

These are atari games and not PS5/XBOX/PC games.  If you can see them well enough and are having fun then that is all that matters.  yes HDMI is always the best but while our original systems and older TVs still work then we can play the games like its 1984.  Hopefully our systems and TVs hold up while updates are made to the plus systems to make them almost like our real systems.  If the only difference between the 2600+ and 7800+ is mainly the shell then I might want the 2600+.  I can always get whatever controllers and cartridges at my own leisure.  I can update the firmware for the 2600+.  I can even hope that one day the plus systems will even be able to run Harmony and or Concerto cartridges to their fullest lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tradyblix said:

hdmi is signficantly better than any "composite" or "component" in. sorry, but also not sorry. 

You should be sorry, because you're wrong.

"Component" is actually an HD Format, Y Pb PR, which can carry signals at 1080p equal to Standard HD resolution through HDMI, without the copy protection of HDCP or the lossy compression of the digital signal.

Most HDTVophiles consider it superior at Standard HD than HDMI, as it's not as compressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JOD-I said:

If the only difference between the 2600+ and 7800+ is mainly the shell then I might want the 2600+.

The 7800+ also got new chips on the I/O board!

Time will tell, what the impact of the new 7800+ MCUs  for dumper and controller really is. With the 7800+ you'll have the latest hardware revision.

The new cartridge socket is much more sturdy, so if you buy a 2600+, make sure to get Rev2, it will have it as well.

From a optical point of view, I can understand you like the 2600+, as you have got a 7800 alreday.

In my case I will put the big and little 7800 next to each other on a shelf to show the differences🤗

And my wife might admit "the black one looks better if you put them next to your PS2/3" 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

You should be sorry, because you're wrong.

"Component" is actually an HD Format, Y Pb PR, which can carry signals at 1080p equal to Standard HD resolution through HDMI, without the copy protection of HDCP or the lossy compression of the digital signal.

Most HDTVophiles consider it superior at Standard HD than HDMI, as it's not as compressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

So we use 10 cable ends to plug in our device instead of 2!

IMG_1628.gif

On 8/22/2024 at 3:03 AM, JOD-I said:

I originally was one of the true hardware or bust type of gamer but seeing that ATARI actually cares about keeping retrogaming with atari games alive

My thoughts exactly! But even my original consoles aren’t 100%. I have a light sixer that some cartridges will not fit, a 2600Jr. That has a graphics issue with Spider Fighter. Even the original 7800 had a few issues with backward compatibility if I’m not mistaken. I’m definitely satisfied with my 2600+ and also getting the 7800+.

Edit: The best part is the compact size and you can power it with a battery pack! No outlet no problem!

IMG_1482.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I got the modded 7800 last year.  I didn't know Atari was going to bring out a 7800+ with HDMI.  But I wanted an original console because I never had one before.  

Well, on the plus side, you can still play things like champ games games. I think.

Plus I mean, You can always flip it.I'm pretty sure any kind of a v modded Original seventy eight hundred is still worth money.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Well, on the plus side, you can still play things like champ games games. I think.

Plus I mean, You can always flip it.I'm pretty sure any kind of a v modded Original seventy eight hundred is still worth money.

Right.  It can play the Champ Games carts.  I plan on keeping the 7800 but yeah I could sell it at some point.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

But even my original consoles aren’t 100%.

That's right.

My real 7800 fails to run my Juno First cart, my Gas Hog cart,... quite a few 2600 PAL games. 

My 2600 PAL Jr denies a Warlords cart...

They all work on the plus🤗

I currenty use a real modded 7800 PAL, a real modded 2600 Jr PAL and my 2600+ to cover all my games.

NTSC 2600 carts run so well on the 2600+, I put my modded 2600 NTSC Jr on Ebay.

Once it's sold, I gave away 6 of my original consoles since I got my 2600+ (7800 PAL Scart, light PAL 6er RF, 7800 PAL RF, 2600 Vader PAL RF,  moded 2600 PAL woody, modded 2600 NTSC Jr).

But I will always keep my carts (not boxes)😊

Space, the final frontier😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually play on my AV upgraded 7800 more than any other Atari console I own. The 2600+ aside from checking out the FW updates to confirm things when requested, pretty much just sits in its box in my closet of spare stuff. For the me the extra loading times to play the games kinda kills it and takes me out of the experience reminding me I'm playing emulation. And I can do that just as easily and with no load times on my computer. 

But yeah, I just find it easier to keep the actual 7800 at the ready so I can pop in a cart or multicart and just load up what I want quick and easy. The AV setup I have does make it all look very nice and isn't something most folks would want to invest the money and time in. But then I have lots of consoles that I have at the ready to be played so the extra stuff needed like the OP stated hasn't been a waste of money to me at all and has helped better enjoy the games and systems on my modern display in a way I never thought I could but always wished for when I was much younger.

• Like 1

I have an S-Video modded 7800, using the UAV mod (best on the market) and a Retrotink 2x mini.

I bought the 2600+ partly because the modded 7800 through a retrotink has compatibility issues with my Samsung QLED TV on games with out of spec video signals (Starmaster from Activision being the worst offender for me, but there are others as well.

Also - 40 year old gaming consoles, regardless of the level of care and maintenance, will not last forever.

• Like 3

ngl thats kinda awesome.

Plus i imagine perhaps the 7800+ will still be a gateway for atarians of all ages in the future to possibly get into the original hardware, thats the fun part! They'd already have all the controllers and games for them.

I've said it before, i dont think the 7800 will be only for the OGs, give it some time and maybe we'd see a variety of new faces :D

• Like 2

I have a 2600+ and an original PAL 7800.  The 7800 isn't AV modded so the RF output is pretty poor.  Plan on selling that and getting the 7800+ to sit next to my 2600+.

A few years ago I wouldn't have even thought about replacing an original console with an emulated device but the continued support from Atari and Ben make it a no-brainer this time.  The only downside is that the 7800+ doesn't come with a built in version of Asteroids but hopefully that will get released as a cartridge at some point (not Asteroids Deluxe, the original 7800 version of Asteroids).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, atariman72 said:

I have a 2600+ and an original PAL 7800.  The 7800 isn't AV modded so the RF output is pretty poor.  Plan on selling that and getting the 7800+ to sit next to my 2600+.

A few years ago I wouldn't have even thought about replacing an original console with an emulated device but the continued support from Atari and Ben make it a no-brainer this time.  The only downside is that the 7800+ doesn't come with a built in version of Asteroids but hopefully that will get released as a cartridge at some point (not Asteroids Deluxe, the original 7800 version of Asteroids).

someday...

i mean yeah, absolutely. And i do get the common as hell complaints about "emulation not accurate do FPGa" or whatever because yes, accuracy is basically the main thing. But stuff like FPGA is a bit too expensive and kind of hard to obtain a constant supply of just so somebody could play Combat or 2600 Pac-Man on their HD TV :D

• Like 1

Modded 7800 is my favourite. Because:

- image is good enough

- supports Rikki & Vikki and other high end homebrew games

- supports multicarts

- supports paddles

- can run 2600 games from top segment of a 7800 cart

- supports SN carts with weird chips creating the sound

- supports experimental bankswitch modes

For a developer the real hardware is essential.

PS. I also have an Analogue Pocket that is supposed to run 7800 games. It runs only a few games of interest. Mostly this fpga is overhyped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1