IGNORED

Sega CD...worth looking into?

I have a Genesis II. I thought about getting a CD adapter to play the CD games. I've seen the Sega CDs here and there, but wasn't real sure if the system as a whole was worth looking into. The titles I have seen never really jumped out to me to make me want to track down the adapter.

However, in my ignorance, I'm not knowledgable to Sega's CD line up. So maybe I have not seen the "kick ass" games.

But...what DID change my mind to start thinking about buying the CD adapter was that I saw Samurai Showdown CD. I have that game as a cart, so I was thinking it should be way better on the CD. (or is it?)

So, in short of this long rambling....

SEGA CD adapter

1. Worth it?

2. Your favorite titles or suggestions

3. Is Samurai Showdown better on CD

4. Any Pros or Cons about CDs or the adapter I should be aware of?

Thanks all!

Ten years ago I got ahold of a Sega CDx, which is basically a "Genesis DUO" ecept about the size of a portable CD player... it's not compatible with the 32x or MasterSystem Converter, but it is an 'all-in-one" unit that is extreemly portable and doubles as a CD player. It's an interesting bit of Sega history, and if you are going to get into the world of Sega CD, it's definately worth a look, even if it does fetch a higher price.

I have a Genesis II. I thought about getting a CD adapter to play the CD games. I've seen the Sega CDs here and there, but wasn't real sure if the system as a whole was worth looking into. The titles I have seen never really jumped out to me to make me want to track down the adapter.

However, in my ignorance, I'm not knowledgable to Sega's CD line up. So maybe I have not seen the "kick ass" games.  

But...what DID change my mind to start thinking about buying the CD adapter was that I saw Samurai Showdown CD. I have that game as a cart, so I was thinking it should be way better on the CD. (or is it?)

So, in short of this long rambling....

SEGA CD adapter

1. Worth it?

2. Your favorite titles or suggestions

3. Is Samurai Showdown better on CD

4. Any Pros or Cons about CDs or the adapter I should be aware of?

Thanks all!

Well, consider when the SegaCD was released and what was popular at the time: Interactive multimedia. Playable movies. Sadly that's what a lot of the SegaCD titles were, and most of them were quite dull. There are, however, a few gems to be had. Snatcher is a much sought after (but unfortunately rare) game. If you can find it cheap, grab it; I recently sold mine for $45, which is well below DP value ($65). The two Lethal Enforcers are also great if you can find one or both Justifier light guns. SonicCD, of course, a definite must, along with a handful of others.

Is it worth it? That's subjective. I have one and like it, but will admit there's a dearth of really good titles. Most of the Cart-come-CD conversions do have more to them -- cutscenes, animated titles, some extra bits here and there, but are mostly the same with respect to gameplay.

Pros/cons? You'll use another power outlet (a third if you also have the 32X plugged in) and being that the transformer IS the plug that means you'll probably use an entire power bar if you have all 3 going. Also, the connection between the Genny and the SegaCD can weaken, so it's good idea to clean the edge connector on the Genny and the slot on the SegaCD. And make sure it comes with the aluminum mounting plate, as it helps secure the Genesis on the SegaCD mounting bed and ensure the connection remains firm and stable.

I have a SCD. I got it off eBay pretty cheap relatively. Used of course. It is the side mounted. The games I got WITH it aren't big deals, except Vay, which is basically a REALLY cool RPG. It had no box and was a throw-in. But it turned out to be good.

I am getting Sonic CD soon. And some other games. There are a few good CD ports of Genesis games that basically only have better sound. Ecco CD 1 is said to have some REALLY good music. And 2 is also good.

I've owned a Sega CD almost since they first came out. I've only ever owned 3 games though. Sewer Shark came with the system. It's a truely unique game with some humorous quotes from that jackass directing you. "Wrong way pencil neck!" After you beat the game, it'll probably lose its replay value, but it should keep you entertained until then.

I also have Sonic CD. It's perhaps the best Sonic game ever made. The graphics are nice, the gameplay is fun (very similar to the first one), and the music is cool for what it is. The first time I played it back in the day, the opening movie blew me away. It's not much by today's standards, but it's like the FMV movies from FF7 when it first came out. It's a game that you should definately look for.

I also had a racing game called Jaguar. I can't remember it too well. I had a lot more fun with Virtua Racing for Genesis though. I would rate it as about average.

Also, I rented Ecco the Dolphin, which was a great game. It had amazing graphics for back then, as well as amazing sound effects and a powerful, fitting soundtrack. I think I rented this game twice in fact. Another one that you should track down. I rented other games too, but I can't remember any of them.

I'd like to mention that I had trouble with these systems dying. I got one for Christmas (when I was a kid) and a little over a year later, it died. Then my parents bought me another one and later on, it died. They were both the second generation systems. My Genesis has died from being in the closet all these years too. I would love to have these working, but I've cleaned them to no avail and don't really know electronics too well. I can't really justify buying a new one as few of games as I have and that I just bought a Turbografx with CD. I sure would love to play Sonic CD though. Be warned about this.

Also, there's an audio cable that runs from the headphone jack on the Genesis to the back of the CD. Make sure you get that, or else the Genesis will only put out sound effects and the CD (through the line jacks on the back) will only put out background music. You could hook one up to your tv and one to the stereo, but you probably don't want to do that.

Good luck with this somewhat rare system.

I've enjoyed Sega CD games, but I take them as they are, not how they look up against the current generation of consoles. I secretly liked some of those FMV games.... Games like Surgical Strike, Caddilacs and Dinosaurs and Ground Zero Texas were pretty interesting at the time. Sonic CD is one that everyone will nominate as the system's best, and they'd be right. Games like Rise of the Dragon (point and click adventure) are fun, Stellar 7 is a good Battlezone type game, and Silpheed is a good shooter. I've always liked StarBlade too, but the poor Sega CD just can't throw polygons around, so nearly all the ships are done in wireframes. It stays true to the arcade version's gameplay, so I never cared.

I enjoyed the one I got back when they first came out. Nowadays, it doesn't work. Whenever I turn it on, it pretty much just does nothing. I found a webpage a few months ago that told of some part from Radio Shack which you could purchase and use to fix it, but I decided, why bother?

Kega (or Lazarus as it is now known I believe) is a fantastic emulator for SMS, Gamegear, Genesis, Genesis CD, etc. It can even read my CD Games. :)

Cap

I enjoyed the one I got back when they first came out. Nowadays, it doesn't work. Whenever I turn it on, it pretty much just does nothing. I found a webpage a few months ago that told of some part from Radio Shack which you could purchase and use to fix it, but I decided, why bother?

Kega (or Lazarus as it is now known I believe) is a fantastic emulator for SMS, Gamegear, Genesis, Genesis CD, etc. It can even read my CD Games. :)

Cap

I use GENS, personally.

I love SegaCD myself. My two faves are Sonic CD, which I would probably have liked no matter how it turned out because I love Sonic games. And Ground Zero Texas, which gets a bad rep because it's a movie game where you don't controll much on screen. but I loved it anyways. I had some others that were cool, most were interesting, but quite a few games simply weren't good.

I've never had problems with my Sega CD unit not working right, but I take great care of my stuff and it's left together all the time, rather than disassembling it when I just want to play Genesis. My main complaint was it having to use two powersupplies. I mean, really, couldn't Sega just given the CD a 18v6a power supply and let the genesis leech power off of it instead of using two 9v3a supplies?

Only problem I ever have is that most people didn't take very good care of Sega stuff around here. Most CD units that pass through my hands are in horrid condition, a few still work, but not well. And many of the games I bought used are so scratched they have problems on my system, to heck with the abused systems I got from other peoples.

Only game I have that comes to mind, as far as Cart to CD conversions go, is Eternal Champions, which I have on cart and disc. The disc one looks exactly identicle, except it has video fatalities (which are short, but amusing) Most games made for boths systems probably just used the CD to slap on videos, and perhaps some sounds.

I used to have the SegaCD system. The only games I liked for it were Flashback (great gameplay and great story) and Masked Kamen Rider Zo (for fun cheesy purposes). I had the top-loading system and it was a pain in the butt. It was nice to be able to play Sega games on it as well as Sega CD games but the machine was so bulky that it wasn't fun to mess with. I had some badass wireless controllers for it, too! :D :D AND a programmable gamepad. I would give it to you but I already gave it to Macgurl and Sauron. If they aren't using it ask them if they could give it to you.

Wow, I totally forgot about some of the decent games for this system! Back in my 386 days, Stellar 7 and Rise of the Dragon were killer! Maybe I should pick up one of these after all...

Some questions of my own:

1. Is "Panic!" (Also known as "Switch" I think) any good? I saw this game in a magazine, and it looked awesome... it's one of those games that made me think "Boy, if I ever get that system, I'll be all over that game!", like Mario All-Stars.

2. I have a version of Sonic for the PC, and I think it's just a port of the SegaCD version... is this the one where you go forwards and backwards through time within the same level? If so, I always thought it was rather terrible personally... or is the PC version just a crappy port?

3. Even with the SegaCD, you're still stuck with the Genesis color limitations, correct?

4. Samurai Showdown is on this system? Damn! Is it any good? This was always one of my favorite arcade games, but I figured I'd be buggered for a home version until I get a 3DO

Ten years ago I got ahold of a Sega CDx, which is basically a "Genesis DUO" ecept about the size of a portable CD player...

Don't forget the JVC X'Eye / Wondermega... same idea, except looks more like a console. I might end up getting one of these just so I can use one less power outlet in the end... cripes...

--Zero

2. I have a version of Sonic for the PC' date=' and I think it's just a port of the SegaCD version... is this the one where you go forwards and backwards through time within the same level? If so, I always thought it was rather terrible personally... or is the PC version just a crappy port?[/quote']

Crappy port.

Ten years ago I got ahold of a Sega CDx' date=' which is basically a "Genesis DUO" ecept about the size of a portable CD player...[/quote']

Don't forget the JVC X'Eye / Wondermega... same idea, except looks more like a console. I might end up getting one of these just so I can use one less power outlet in the end... cripes...

--Zero

But hte X'Eye isn't a Diskman too.

The Lunar series is great, if you like RPGs. Lunar 2 especially.

Yea, I have it on the Playstation version. I've had it since the summer, and play it a little bit at a time. It's taking me forever.

Lots of good replys on the subject. Finding out more about this system than I ever would! AA members, you kick ass!

4. Samurai Showdown is on this system? Damn! Is it any good? This was always one of my favorite arcade games

I KNOW! Finding out if Samurai Showdown is way better on the CD than the cart will probably be the deciding factor for me. From the looks of the replys, looks like there are some other good ones out there.

Hmm, decisions - decisions.

Ten years ago I got ahold of a Sega CDx' date=' which is basically a "Genesis DUO" ecept about the size of a portable CD player...[/quote']

Don't forget the JVC X'Eye / Wondermega... same idea' date=' except looks more like a console. I might end up getting one of these just so I can use one less power outlet in the end... cripes...

--Zero[/quote']But hte X'Eye isn't a Diskman too.

It could be... It COULD be... Just get a back pack with a portable generator. Voila! X'Eye Discman! ;)

Don't forget the JVC X'Eye / Wondermega... same idea' date=' except looks more like a console. I might end up getting one of these just so I can use one less power outlet in the end... cripes...

It could be... It COULD be... Just get a back pack with a portable generator. Voila! X'Eye Discman! ;)

But does it have the pretty control buttons and a headphone jack? :)

One only needs to fashion a makeshift Audio port that connects to the AV port. Sure, you can't tell what you're choosing without a screen, but what do you want?? ;)

One only needs to fashion a makeshift Audio port that connects to the AV port. Sure, you can't tell what you're choosing without a screen, but what do you want?? ;)
I concede the point. :)

If you have the 32X/CD versions of the certain games, they can do even MORE colors. Of course, there are only a few CD/32X hybrid games. Or so I'm told. 6 I believe. MUST. COLLECT. THEM. ALL!!!

Only Sega CD/32X game I've seen is Farenheight (sp?) Kind of an interesting game. I don't have the cable to hook up the 32X to the genesis (or is it SegaCD?) So I haven't ever tried the 32X version of the game. I'd assume it'd remove some of the choppiness of the game, and have better colors myself.