IGNORED

Official firmware update?

Gabe

Any news on an official firmware update for the 2600+? I know there are beta versions, as well as experimental versions, but I'm really surprised that, at nine months since release, there is still no official firmware update for it. 

I'd like to see some improvement to paddle movement, as in being smoother than it is. I know others would like to see the list of games that don't work with it shrink.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Any news on an official firmware update for the 2600+? I know there are beta versions, as well as experimental versions, but I'm really surprised that, at nine months since release, there is still no official firmware update for it. 

I'd like to see some improvement to paddle movement, as in being smoother than it is. I know others would like to see the list of games that don't work with it shrink.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious. 

As a Linux User...

Yes... i am also curious

No worries though either i'm just hoping i could do it someday.

• Like 3

Just grab whatever the latest experimental version is. Or if you don't need to, just wait for the final. Nobody is likely to tell you on here, because nobody knows when it's gonna be and there's nothing really "experimental" about the new updates, they just allow more carts to work and make some other improvements that you'll likely not notice, like using the CPU more efficiently. 

The original firmware has the the difficulty buttons in the wrong place and isn't compatible with all kinds of carts but if you personally don't have carts that don't run then... no need

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Since newer shipments of the 2600+ (to say nothing of the upcoming 7800+) already have the updated firmware straight from the factory, the question of "official" is strictly academic. The thing most people want (that isn't yet available) is a better way of installing the update.

Edited by NicodemusLegend
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, NicodemusLegend said:

Since newer shipments of the 2600+ (to say nothing of the upcoming 7800+) already have the updated firmware straight from the factory, the question of "official" is strictly academic. The thing most people want (that isn't yet available) is a better way of installing the update.

yeah, because i dont think i can do it.

I could but i feel like my nana thinks i'm already wasting my time doing nothing all day, but then i'd have to back up everything i have blah blah blah... fiddle with VMs.... have to go back to windows if i'm too dumb, bleh bleh blehhhhh...

at this point i'd even take something absurd like kiosks in major cities with WIFI cart docks that allow you to rent an upgrade cartridge for $9.99 a day!

But in all serious i do appreciate the other comments just saying what is probably likely, i will await.

On 8/29/2024 at 5:35 PM, NicodemusLegend said:

What updated firmware? If there is updated firmware for new stock of the 2600+, why has it not been released for the rest of us? 

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What updated firmware? If there is updated firmware for new stock of the 2600+, why has it not been released for the rest of us? 

This updated firmware, and you can consider it "official":

"Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper"

*CLICK HERE* for the post containing all needed files to update the 2600+ console in one downloadable file archive, including complete step-by-step instructions.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

There is a newer version of the updated firmware that will be on the forthcoming stock of the 2600+ and 7800+ WHEN THEY HIT RETAIL, and will also be made available on here in the same pinned thread WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

It will have some new features including 50/60Hz switching, bilinear filtering, phosphor effects, and added compatibility.

BUT -

It's not ready yet. They're still working on it. The people working on it also have other lives, and these things take time to test. That's why it's not out yet. It will be out WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

Please be patient.

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

There is a newer version of the updated firmware that will be on the forthcoming stock of the 2600+ and 7800+ WHEN THEY HIT RETAIL, and will also be made available on here in the same pinned thread WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

It will have some new features including 50/60Hz switching, bilinear filtering, phosphor effects, and added compatibility.

BUT -

It's not ready yet. They're still working on it. The people working on it also have other lives, and these things take time to test. That's why it's not out yet. It will be out WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

Please be patient.

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

Well, we have lives too! Atari lives! 😆😂🤣

All kidding aside, that’s great news!

IMG_1709.gif

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

This updated firmware, and you can consider it "official":

"Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper"

*CLICK HERE* for the post containing all needed files to update the 2600+ console in one downloadable file archive, including complete step-by-step instructions.

So they're putting experimental software on new 2600+ stock? 

That doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Thank you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

So they're putting experimental software on new 2600+ stock? 

That doesn't make any sense. 

You’re too hung up on the word “experimental”. It’s really only still called that because that’s how Chris named the thread when he posted the first one. They don’t have a final version prepped for wide release yet with all of the features they want implemented and regression testing completed - yet. 

• Like 2

Let me also throw this out there to everyone, and not any one person in particular:

With projects like this, where it’s a bit of a work in progress because of all of the random idiosyncrasies of emulating a nearly 50 year old gaming console to a high level for public purchase: sugar is better than salt where our collective approach is concerned. 

What I mean by that is - the people working on this and those in the know are, and always will be more willing to be forthcoming with info on what is happening behind the scenes if you (the proverbial Atariage user) are polite, and supportive of the product/company, and willing to help if you can. 

But if the sum total of your comments in this section are akin to “Atari sucks because I didn’t get what I wanted” angry, or unnecessarily critical, or constantly begging for things - then they will be less inclined to share info with you and the public at large until they are confident it is the right time to do so. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I think that's the last time I'll ask any questions here.

Why? Keep asking questions. You have every right to ask questions about a product you purchase. These forums are for discussion. 
I’m hopeful they get a few more issues resolved. I keep asking, sometimes I get an answer sometimes not.

I’m also hoping for some paddle improvement, as well as touch pad and others have mentioned track ball and driving controller.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I’m also hoping for some paddle improvement, as well as touch pad and others have mentioned track ball and driving controller.

I would even go as far as to say, that improved paddle support is the no. 1 issue still missing! There are over 40 paddle games on the 2600 alone, and some of them belong to the "must plays"! This is my personal opinion, without wanting to offend anyone (the programmers).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I would even go as far as to say, that improved paddle support is the no. 1 issue

I absolutely agree! Atari was known for paddle games. The paddle controller is a really unique way of game play and only Atari has the best collection of paddle games!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Atari was known for paddle games. The paddle controller is a really unique way of game play and only Atari has the best collection of paddle games!

I agree, I wish we would also get some modern paddle games. Breakout is rather a bit simplistic, port of Krakout would be great. 
BTW, with Medieval Mayhem paddles work quite well. This is really fun game. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I would even go as far as to say, that improved paddle support is the no. 1 issue still missing! There are over 40 paddle games on the 2600 alone, and some of them belong to the "must plays"! This is my personal opinion, without wanting to offend anyone (the programmers).

I would think that game compatibility for the games that don’t run at all takes priority over the relatively small number of paddle games that *do* work, just not as smooth as some people would like them. 

that being said there are quite a few things they need to tackle to make everyone happy, so again - patience is key.

23 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I would think that game compatibility for the games that don’t run at all takes priority over the relatively small number of paddle games that *do* work, just not as smooth as some people would like them. 

that being said there are quite a few things they need to tackle to make everyone happy, so again - patience is key.

of course we are patient! :-)

If there is anyone to blame, it would be Atari Inc. themselves, as they released an "unfinished" product even with their own new version of paddles but unfit to work properly. that's not far from product failure if you ask me. You guys are just trying to fix what others have messed up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

I agree, I wish we would also get some modern paddle games. Breakout is rather a bit simplistic, port of Krakout would be great. 
BTW, with Medieval Mayhem paddles work quite well. This is really fun game. 

This is a great idea, more modern paddle games! There is already some great paddle games, why not more paddle games!

Not only would they be selling paddle games but more paddle controllers in the process. I have Medieval Mayhem, you’re right the paddles work quite well with this game!

• Like 2