IGNORED

Is it worth to buy 7800+ if I have 2600+?

MarcinJ

Well, the actual 7800 would lose HDMI connectivity, that's a minus, BUT, the 7800 would be 99% compatible out of the box, it reads all the controllers properly, so no jittery paddle due to read resolution (hoping that gets fixed) Indy 500, plus homebrew that use driving controllers. Like I said, 99% compatibility, the actual hardware has issues with some third party stuff, like xonox, tend to be problematic, and supercharger doesn't physically fit, koolaid man and a few others run janky. But, common problem games like pitfall 2 and ram carts work fine.

I imagine the 7800 works better now, than the plus ever will, not counting future hardware revisions, so if you can do WO HDMI, and 2600 plays nice with your tv, I'd say 7800 for sure.

I'm in for any Atari+ platform release! Atari 50 got me back into Atari and the Atari 2600+ is keeping me in. I already preordered the 7800+ and all the games. If we can get all the homebrew cart formats working I am ready to buy all of them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Video said:

Well, the actual 7800 would lose HDMI connectivity, that's a minus, BUT, the 7800 would be 99% compatible out of the box, it reads all the controllers properly, so no jittery paddle due to read resolution (hoping that gets fixed) Indy 500, plus homebrew that use driving controllers. Like I said, 99% compatibility, the actual hardware has issues with some third party stuff, like xonox, tend to be problematic, and supercharger doesn't physically fit, koolaid man and a few others run janky. But, common problem games like pitfall 2 and ram carts work fine.

I imagine the 7800 works better now, than the plus ever will, not counting future hardware revisions, so if you can do WO HDMI, and 2600 plays nice with your tv, I'd say 7800 for sure.

There are at least 2 serial number runs of the original 7800 that Activisuon Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Robot Tank don’t work without modification that if performed breaks other games. 

4 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Like I've said, one obviously needs a second console for the lake house, beach house, den, basement, bedroom, mother-in-law suite, garage, and to give as gifts.  Buy more consoles!

I've already got one for the gift wrapping room, and another for the flower arranging room, but damn I forgot the mother-in-law suite! I'll get an order in now.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Billiesan said:

I'm in for any Atari+ platform release! Atari 50 got me back into Atari and the Atari 2600+ is keeping me in. I already preordered the 7800+ and all the games. If we can get all the homebrew cart formats working I am ready to buy all of them!

So, speaking of this, I would *really* like a cart copy of the Atari 50 release Swordquest: Airworld.

Not becuase the game is actually any fun to play, (it's not bad, it's not fireworld at least) but just to complete our Swordquest cart collections. 

Get whichever one works for you, whichever speaks to you most, i picked the 7800+ after 2600+ because it just felt more my avenue but thats not dismissing the 2600+, its going to stay great with its new buddy. I'm not all that sure if the improvements on the 7800+ are completely overshadowing for the 2600+ for most people. I hope this eventually means as both get better and cheaper if theres a will, there could be something completely different but whom knows?

• Like 1

I think I'll move my 2600+ to another floor, where I still have a tv sideboard with integrated stereo from the 70s as soon as the 7800+ arrrives. The 7800+ will fit nicely with the more modern consoles. But the question if I "need" the 7800+ would be answered with a "no". I want one, though. :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Video said:

It plays champ games which is a major advantage. Because those games are some of the more desirable games. However, at least a few of them have alternatives, for example, their robot war game, you can play robotron seventy eight hundred. Same for galagon. And theoretically, same for scramble, although 7800 scramble is a much harder cart to find now. And not cheap. 

There's no alternative for ladybug arcade or turbo arcade tho.

On the other hand there's at least a few games That you could play on these systems that those older ones won't play, because they're finicky.

And the output is a big deal.The output is the difference between playing your games and not playing them in my case... Or having to go source a crtv, and find a place to set it up, And even then, with the possible of exception of 7800 games, the results are worse. And that's with something like a component modded 7800. RF output is absolutely terrible (on modern tvs). It should not be discounted how big of a deal the native hdmi output is.

Edited by tradyblix

17 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I think this strategy is perfect @Ben from Plaion

Those who bought the 2600+ as it was are happy with it, most of us anyway. The experimental update program has been a huge achievement so far, all my classic carts work. So much has already been done, for free. 

If, because of the success of the machine it is now possible to iterate on it and improve it then great, do it! If you also try to implement any upgrades on the original release 2600+ then that's a nice bonus, I hope it can be done, but if not, we all have the option to get it on eBay, gift it, use it in another room. It's already very compatible, it's not like it's a piece of junk.

Early adopters often get a slightly inferior product, but have enjoyed the product for longer, so value has already been had. 

I am buying a 7800+ and hope that my 2600+ will be able to be updated to work as well as it, if not it may become a gift for my Dad, and I will get an updated 2600+. 

I think this hits the nail on the head.

So much support with the firmware updates was shared for free in exchange for user feedback.  That firmware work also applied to the 7800+.  That's a win-win in my book.

I think the 7800+ core package including wireless CX78+ and Bentley Bear cart is a great value.  I was going to purchase the wireless controller and cart anyway.  Getting the updated console hardware for just a little more than purchasing cart and controller separately made sense to me.  I also added the wireless CX40+ and a couple more carts.  

17 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I think this strategy is perfect @Ben from Plaion

Those who bought the 2600+ as it was are happy with it, most of us anyway. The experimental update program has been a huge achievement so far, all my classic carts work. So much has already been done, for free. 

If, because of the success of the machine it is now possible to iterate on it and improve it then great, do it! If you also try to implement any upgrades on the original release 2600+ then that's a nice bonus, I hope it can be done, but if not, we all have the option to get it on eBay, gift it, use it in another room. It's already very compatible, it's not like it's a piece of junk.

Early adopters often get a slightly inferior product, but have enjoyed the product for longer, so value has already been had. 

I am buying a 7800+ and hope that my 2600+ will be able to be updated to work as well as it, if not it may become a gift for my Dad, and I will get an updated 2600+. 

I think this hits the nail on the head.

So much support with the firmware updates was shared for free in exchange for user feedback.  That firmware work also applied to the 7800+.  That's a win-win in my book.

I think the 7800+ core package including wireless CX78+ and Bentley Bear cart is a great value.  I was going to purchase the wireless controller and cart anyway.  Getting the updated console hardware for just a little more than purchasing cart and controller separately made sense to me.  I also added the wireless CX40+ and a couple more carts.  

• Like 1