IGNORED

Fatal Run 2089

YarsFan

Read somewhere this will get a release on the Switch, but have not heard if this will be released on VCS. If not, does the decision to publish this on Switch but not VCS pretty much signal the end of the VCS considering the VCS is more technologically advanced than the Switch?

Hopefully we at least get Unsung Warriors as the unsung swan song of the VCS…

It doesn't mean end of life for the Atari VCS 800 at all. You seem to be obsessed with the end of life of the Atari VCS 800 it's all about money and financially it doesn't really make sense to release it on a machine that's locked to the states and has a small user base thanks to that hurdle. I read on Discord that Davpa hasn't ruled out a VCS version, he is also trying to get Proton support inplimented into the Atari VCS OS so we get more big games on the system. I would just play this game in PC mode it's not the big deal if it doesn't come to the device, but i have faith it will afterall Davpa got us Lunar Lander in the end so.. 

• Like 2

I also think the VCS's capabilities are very underestimated. Case in point, Im a huge Flight Simulator fan and mostly fly on Xbox Series S. On occasion, I will use the Xbox Game Pass app on the Atari VCS to fly. The VCS handles the program beautifully, same frame rates as Xbox with no hiccups.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

I also think the VCS's capabilities are very underestimated. Case in point, Im a huge Flight Simulator fan and mostly fly on Xbox Series S. On occasion, I will use the Xbox Game Pass app on the Atari VCS to fly. The VCS handles the program beautifully, same frame rates as Xbox with no hiccups.

Do you talk about the Microsoft Cloud gaming ?

22 hours ago, YarsFan said:

I agree its capabilities are underestimated in that it’s almost surely more powerful than a Switch. Not sure how close it is to a Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro, though. 

The VCS has a fairly weak GPU compared to the PS4/Xbox One

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2024 at 2:08 PM, zzip said:

The VCS has a fairly weak GPU compared to the PS4/Xbox One

Yeah, though I'd say the main difference would be resolution.  You could probably run a similar game that'd do 30fps at 1080p on a PS4 and on the VCS at 30fps at 720p.  Kind of makes me want to do some benchmarks  between the Steam Deck and the VCS.  My guess is the Steam Deck is a bit faster / closer to PS4 performance than the VCS.  Though it's definitely a few years newer in tech too.

16 hours ago, leech said:

Yeah, though I'd say the main difference would be resolution.  You could probably run a similar game that'd do 30fps at 1080p on a PS4 and on the VCS at 30fps at 720p.  Kind of makes me want to do some benchmarks  between the Steam Deck and the VCS.  My guess is the Steam Deck is a bit faster / closer to PS4 performance than the VCS.  Though it's definitely a few years newer in tech too.

It's more about the amount of 3D detail you can render into each frame.   If you cut frame rate in half, you can get twice the detail,  cutting resolution helps too.

My wife's PC has a cheap nVidia card that is more for work than gaming,  the thing doesn't even have a fan.  It's GPU benchmarks are similar to the VCS.    My kid started using it for gaming, and I was amazed at the kind of 3D games it could handle.   Performance isn't alway great though.

People tend to underestimate what older/weaker GPUs can handle.   So much of the performance gains on newer hardware tend to focus on small details.   Look at how much crisper the shadows are here.  The extra detail in the character's hair there.   These cloth physics!    A lot of times it's stuff you don't even notice when the game is in motion,    You don't have time to admire the detail in that character's hair because he's about to shoot you!  :D    Watching Digital Foundry side-by-side comparisons cracks me up because they often have to pause gameplay AND zoom in to show you the difference between two systems.   Cut all that detail out and it can run on a weaker system and you won't notice unless you get close

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It's more about the amount of 3D detail you can render into each frame.   If you cut frame rate in half, you can get twice the detail,  cutting resolution helps too.

My wife's PC has a cheap nVidia card that is more for work than gaming,  the thing doesn't even have a fan.  It's GPU benchmarks are similar to the VCS.    My kid started using it for gaming, and I was amazed at the kind of 3D games it could handle.   Performance isn't alway great though.

People tend to underestimate what older/weaker GPUs can handle.   So much of the performance gains on newer hardware tend to focus on small details.   Look at how much crisper the shadows are here.  The extra detail in the character's hair there.   These cloth physics!    A lot of times it's stuff you don't even notice when the game is in motion,    You don't have time to admire the detail in that character's hair because he's about to shoot you!  :D    Watching Digital Foundry side-by-side comparisons cracks me up because they often have to pause gameplay AND zoom in to show you the difference between two systems.   Cut all that detail out and it can run on a weaker system and you won't notice unless you get close

Shadows... like legitimately the shadows take a massive toll on performance!  There have been many games where on older hardware they run perfectly fine depending on how you set the shadow detail.  Cranking that up will just murder your GPU.  Or at least turn your game into a slide show.

I have fond memories of the days where GPUs didn't need a dedicated fan... now they're so massive you need a brace to prevent it from sagging in your case... which could be prevented if we could go back to desktop style cases... Ha, it's almost much more fun to build old computers simply because they don't have such massive things in them.  Granted, newer ones are nice for the NVME being on the motherboard, and not needing to figure out how to route fat IDE ribbons...

I think a Nintendo Switch port would be the best route for this game to get it on to the Atari VCS, that being said there's always PC mode but i genuinely don't think its going to be possible in PC mode, the system requirements on Steam for this game are pretty heavy to be fair but i guess the Atari VCS has surprised me by running games that shouldn't be possible on it's hardware in the past so we shall see 🙂  I'm actually looking forward to this game, probably be a PS5/PC pick up for me if it doesn't get to the VCS.

On 10/9/2024 at 10:15 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I think a Nintendo Switch port would be the best route for this game to get it on to the Atari VCS, that being said there's always PC mode but i genuinely don't think its going to be possible in PC mode, the system requirements on Steam for this game are pretty heavy to be fair but i guess the Atari VCS has surprised me by running games that shouldn't be possible on it's hardware in the past so we shall see 🙂  I'm actually looking forward to this game, probably be a PS5/PC pick up for me if it doesn't get to the VCS.

Huh, 8gb of ram and a 3050 or higher?  Funny enough, it's the 9gb in size that I think a stock VCS 800 would suffer the most with.  I'm not sure what a 3050 equivalent for AMD would be.