IGNORED

Atari is finally embracing their Japanese heritage

JPF997

After all the Atari recharged games, Lunar Lander and now Yars Rising ( which was much better than even I expected ) I think it's safe to say that modern Atari is finally embracing aspects of it's heritage that previously had been ignored, specifically it's Japanese  roots

( anime, Cyberpunk/synthwave, Japanese gaming culture in general  ).

The very name Atari is a Japanese term so one  would  think that they would have capitalized on this sooner, unfortunately after the Tramiels took over (1984 ) they kind of ignored this aspect of Atari ( that it was the most Japanese American company ever  created ) and turned it into a completely westernized corporation. 

I'm glad the current iteration of Atari is finally paying it's respects to the Nation and culture that it's name derives from.

Edited by JPF997
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

"From the mind that brought you the '5200 is the best Atari console' statement comes a new shocking take on gaming"

The 5200 is the best Atari console from a game library standpoint, casuals never picked up on that because:

1- It came out just a year before the gaming crash so it didn't have a big lifespan and few people played it.

2- Dumb AVGN memes ( omg this 40 year old controller doesn't work, omg look how huge this console is  etc ).

Also what i said isn't a shocking statement or a hot take , after the  2800 flopped in Japan Atari (especially after Tramiel took over) completely gave  up on the Japanese market and became a fully westernized company, it's only been  very recently (  the Blade runner 2049 cameo, Yars Rising etc ) that Atari has started acknowledging/caring about their Japanese roots and not just the western ones.

Edited by JPF997

6 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

The 5200 is the best Atari console from a game library standpoint, casuals never picked up on that because:

1- It came out just a year before the gaming crash so it didn't have a big lifespan

2- Dumb AVGN memes ( omg this 40 year old controller doesn't work, omg look how huge this console is  etc )

Also what i said isn't a shocking statement or a hot take , after the  2800 flopped in Japan Atari (especially after Tramiel took over) completely gave  up on the Japanese market and became a fully westernized company, it's only been  very recently (  the Blade runner 2049 cameo, Yars Rising etc ) that Atari has started acknowledging/caring about their Japanese roots and not just the western ones.

Was AVGN a thing back when the 5200 was active?

24 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

"From the mind that brought you the '5200 is the best Atari console' statement comes a new shocking take on gaming"

What about the VCS is better than the Dreamcast? Wasn't that another dumb topic?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Was AVGN a thing back when the 5200 was active?

Obviously not, like I previously said almost no one knew of it's existence back then and even less people played it because it came out barely a year before the gaming crash, it never had a chance to succeed in a collapsing gaming market .

This  console only became well known in the gaming community thanks to AVGN, unfortunately because of James's terrible video ( with over 8 million views ) most people only know the 5200  as that giant console with a terrible controller and heavy power brick that's not  even worth checking out on an emulator.

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

What about the VCS is better than the Dreamcast? Wasn't that another dumb topic?

No I made a topic talking about how the VCS had outlived the Dreamcast ( in terms of official lifespan  ), I never stated that it was a better console like you're claiming now.

Edited by JPF997

9 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Obviously not, like I previously said almost no one knew of it's existence back then and even less people played it because it came out barely a year before the gaming crash, it never had a chance to succeed in a collapsing gaming market .

This  console only became well known in the gaming community thanks to AVGN, unfortunately because of James's terrible video ( with over 8 million views ) most people only know the 5200  as that giant console with a terrible controller and heavy power brick that's not  even worth checking out on an emulator.

No I made a topic talking about how the VCS had outlived the Dreamcast ( in terms of official lifespan  ), I never stated that it was a better console like you're claiming now.

If the 5200 is only known from, as you say, a terrible video that makes fun of it, then your argument is weak in addition to being stupid.

NES came out after the crash and it seemed to do well. But yes let us blame the crash instead of it just not being as good as you'd hope.

I bet you also think it's a miracle that the NES outsold the 7800. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

After all the Atari recharged games, Lunar Lander and now Yars Rising ( which was much better than even I expected ) I think it's safe to say that modern Atari is finally embracing aspects of it's heritage that previously had been ignored, specifically it's Japanese  roots

The very name Atari is a Japanese term so one  would  think that they would have capitalized on this sooner, unfortunately after the Tramiels took over (1984 ) they kind of ignored this aspect of Atari ( that it was the most Japanese American company ever  created ) and turned it into a completely westernized corporation. 

I'm glad the current iteration of Atari is finally paying it's respects to the Nation and culture that it's name derives from.

Japanese culture = Anime??

Akira Kurosawa Japanese GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Reaction Gifs No GIF by Studios 2016

• Like 2

"that it was the most Japanese American company ever created"

Wait.... what? 

It was named after a game..  that's it.

And it was named after a strategy game... because of strategy...

It had nothing whatsoever to do with a country or culture in the way you are purporting.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

"that it was the most Japanese American company ever created"

Wait.... what? 

It was named after a game..  that's it.

And it was named after a strategy game... because of strategy...

It had nothing whatsoever to do with a country or culture in the way you are purporting.

image.thumb.jpeg.3805aba9245da3e8745d104708a94c51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca362f2655a0978f7fe388b79978c545.jpeg

Edited by JPF997
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

2- Dumb AVGN memes ( omg this 40 year old controller doesn't work, omg look how huge this console is  etc )

While I don't agree with lots of things you say, this is one take I can agree with. AVGN and his clones were a disservice to gaming history. Good thing they're just inoffensive jokes now, but for a long while they made people see and treat all old game consoles and software as disposable garbage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3805aba9245da3e8745d104708a94c51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca362f2655a0978f7fe388b79978c545.jpeg

Neither of those has any connection to Atari, f/k/a Syzygy, the company founded by Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney, who had worked together at AMPEX. There's literally nothing Japanese about the classic Atari, Inc. at all except the name.

• Like 3

I think SEGA has a better claim on being Japanese or "Japaneseness" than Atari and that company was founded by an American dude.

Unless you're suggesting that Atari somehow buy back the Japanese branch of Atari that was sold to Namco a while back.

Edited by Bakasama
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JPF997 said:

PLEASE don’t lecture us about history or culture or music. You’ve been wrong EVERY TIME.

Also as someone who goes to Japan on business often… most Japanese are offended by the wierd “anime/cyberpunk is Japanese! Waifu!” garbage.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MateusSolo said:

AVGN and his clones were a disservice to gaming history. Good thing they're just inoffensive jokes now, but for a long while they made people see and treat all old game consoles and software as disposable garbage.

Off take. If anything, AVGN, spurred a lot of people to collect and play old video games. It doesn't make sense that his character would have walls and walls of those old games if he thought the games should be tossed in the garbage.

I always figured the AVGN was inspired from characters like SeanBaby, and his Rest of the Crap articles in EGM.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JPF997 said:

You are correct, but to be honest I regret forgetting about the "VCS had outlived the Dreamcast" statement for my fake trailer voiceover. 🥺

6 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Off take. If anything, AVGN, spurred a lot of people to collect and play old video games. It doesn't make sense that his character would have walls and walls of those old games if he thought the games should be tossed in the garbage.

I always figured the AVGN was inspired from characters like SeanBaby, and his Rest of the Crap articles in EGM.

I think the tradition of trash-talking old games goes even deeper than EGM. If I remember correctly, GamePro used to make fun of Atari, calling its games trash when compared to the 16-bit generation. Anyway, I have always seen this kind of game "coverage" extremely disrespectul to the creators and the fans of the badmouthed games.

Edited by MateusSolo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MateusSolo said:

Anyway, I have always seen this kind of game "coverage" extremely disrespectful to the creators and the fans of the badmouthed games.

Even hotter, hot-take. Video game magazines shouldn't review games. Or give games bad scores  I guess the NA video game crash of 1983 was a mistake. No one should have sounded the alarm against games like Chase the Chuckwagon (10/10), and we should have kept buying the slop they put out.

Atari’s attempts to do anything in Japan were pathetic and short-lived the idea that there’s any Japanese “heritage” is laughable. I remember the Ultimate History of Video Games book having some good information on that venture.

9 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

PLEASE don’t lecture us about history or culture or music. You’ve been wrong EVERY TIME.

Also as someone who goes to Japan on business often… most Japanese are offended by the wierd “anime/cyberpunk is Japanese! Waifu!” garbage.

Your constant bad faith attacks against me have gotten stale at this point... not worth a serious reply...

Here this is for you 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8eaf0ce71de2e0527a34dd1faaf6b11.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.975194625dc695e867f15a7988f049b0.jpeg

Edited by JPF997