IGNORED

Atari is finally embracing their Japanese heritage

JPF997

Just now, JPF997 said:

This is the only thing I agree with you on so far, beautiful people in fiction and in real life don't exist just so that basement dwellers can jack off to them, if you have a healthy mind you can appreciate beauty without succumbing to dark thoughts and desires.

Dude. You already tried to claim that "Normal people aren't fine with this".

1. Nobody who looks at a cartoon character for more than 5 minutes and thinks about their attractiveness level is "normal".

2. There is nothing wrong with the character in this photo. In fact, I would argue that it takes far more talent to create a realistic looking video game character than it does a cheap looking oversexualized anime character.

31 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

People like you might think that the current degeneration of beauty standards are perfectly fine, normal people aren't fine with this : Alloy PS4 vs PS5 

image.thumb.jpeg.cce130229b20fab4a2cb37634c711a73.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

FYI, not everybody who grew up in the 80's are Anime fans. Also, I'm not sure Atari ever abandoned anyone. If anything, people abandoned Atari because of the crap games some of the third parties were putting out. Honestly, they don't need Anime to make their games fun again.

It's more the people who grew up in the 90s who embraced anime, I think, or at least the very tail-end of the 80s, after Nintendo & co started bringing over Japanese titles.

It was not something I was exposed to other than watching "Speed Racer "in the 70s.

It seems that the millenials & Gen Z are far more into it,   I understand why today's Atari might embrace it, even if I doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 2

*Reaches into pocket and pulls out note from doctor which says:

"Beautiful people in fiction and in real life don't exist just so that basement dwellers can jack off to them, if you have a healthy mind you can appreciate beauty without succumbing to dark thoughts and desires"

*Exhales deeply and breathes "one day at a time, one day at a time."

*Puts note back in pocket

Edited by Lost Monkey
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Dude. You already tried to claim that "Normal people aren't fine with this".

They aren't, just look at the sales numbers of Stellar Blade vs Concord.

1. Nobody who looks at a cartoon character for more than 5 minutes and thinks about their attractiveness level is "normal".

Beauty and attractiveness are two different things, I guess you never heard of the concept known as Platonic Beauty.

2. There is nothing wrong with the character in this photo. In fact, I would argue that it takes far more talent to create a realistic looking video game character than it does a cheap looking oversexualized anime character.

Once again real looking doesn't mean that it has to be ugly, Lara Croft was beautiful and realistic in the Reboot trilogy, Abby in Last of US part 2 will always be an unattractive bitch.

Edited by JPF997

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Here's an alternative to this thread's bad take:

Why in the hell is nearly every video game now employing an Anime style theme? Why does every female character look like an incel's waifu pillow?

Can we calm down with the bandwagon creepiness and just go back to concentrating on making good games?

Just quoting this for the beauty of "incel's waifu pillow".  That's a masterpiece.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

They aren't, just look at the sales numbers of Stellar Blade vs Concord.

Beauty and attractiveness are two different things, I guess you never heard of the concept known as Platonic Beauty.

Once again real looking doesn't mean that it has to be ugly, Lara Croft was beautiful and realistic in the Reboot trilogy, Abby in Last of US part 2 will always be an unattractive shemale.

Some day there may be a set of goal posts heavy enough that you can't lift. 

Edited by Lost Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

People like you might think that the current degeneration of beauty standards are perfectly fine, normal people aren't fine with this : Alloy PS4 vs PS5 

image.thumb.jpeg.cce130229b20fab4a2cb37634c711a73.jpeg

I can't tell if they purposely uglified her or the more advanced graphics now allows them to display details like wrinkles and blemishes that has the overall effect of making her look worse.  

This is an issue people are having with the new Until Dawn remaster..  focus on details of characters and objects, but also made the atmosphere of the game worse in the process.

I would argue Horizon Zero Dawn and Until Dawn were both amazing looking PS4 games and did not really need remastering

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

I can't tell if they purposely uglified her or the more advanced graphics now allows them to display details like wrinkles and blemishes that has the overall effect of making her look worse.  

This is an issue people are having with the new Until Dawn remaster..  focus on details of characters and objects, but also made the atmosphere of the game worse in the process.

I would argue Horizon Zero Dawn and Until Dawn were both amazing looking PS4 games and did not really need remastering

They made her look human. There is nothing "ugly" about that character unless you have the unrealistic beauty expectations of a 13 year old boy.

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

They made her look human. There is nothing "ugly" about that character unless you have the unrealistic beauty expectations of a 13 year old boy.

"Unrealistic beauty expections" you mean  actually leaving the house for one day  and noticing that the average woman on the streets is much more beautiful than the ones portrayed in modern western triple A games ?

16 minutes ago, zzip said:

They 100% uglified her, hell  in the  original game she was already uglier than the model she was based on but now it's somehow even worse

Alloy ( game ) vs real Alloy (Hannah Hoekstra)

image.thumb.jpeg.e473d0ab3a33fbaad53d924e9efa1ffd.jpeg

Edited by JPF997

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This thread turned into some gamergate shit the instant someone said "incel waifu pillow"

This shit is insane. I'm a big anime guy but this "western devs are making the characters ugly on purpose" stuff doesn't really click with me. 

and the guy did have a point. I really hate being lumped in with "incel waifu guys" but they certainly do make up at least a tiny bit of the people who eat that stuff up.

On whether Atari should keep doing anime? Sure, as long as they keep working on good games first. Personally I wanna see a variety in art direction. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LilSwampAss said:

and the guy did have a point. I really hate being lumped in with "incel waifu guys" but they certainly do make up at least a tiny bit of the people who eat that stuff up.

It's way more than a tiny bit. A simple internet image search for the word "anime" on any of the largest search providers shows that the vast majority of anime content is overtly sexualized, and much of it is either underaged, rape, or incest themed.

Shit, if you just browse to the front page of reddit while not signed in, and keep hitting refresh, it's like a slot machine of creepy anime images.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LilSwampAss said:

This thread turned into some gamergate shit the instant someone said "incel waifu pillow"

well don't say "incel waifu pillow" then...

26 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

They 100% uglified her, hell  in the  original game she was already uglier than the model she was based on but now it's somehow even worse

Alloy ( game ) vs real Alloy (Hannah Hoekstra)

image.thumb.jpeg.e473d0ab3a33fbaad53d924e9efa1ffd.jpeg

i don't see a difference except for the hair.   But I think Aloy's hairstyle is more fitting for a tribal warrior than the real actress.   So I don't fault that choice.

There are better examples of what you are talking about out there.  I don't think this game was being ugly on purpose, it was was quite beautiful