IGNORED

Homebrew genre survey. Which games you like to play?

agradeneu

Homebrew genre survey.   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which genre interest you the most for a homebrew project?

• Vertical shooters
    • Horizontal shooters
    • Platformer games
    • Tower defense games
    • Action RPG/Adventure like Zelda
    • Dungeon crawlers 3D/2D
    • Rogue lites/likes
    • RPGs
    • Sports
    • Puzzle

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Voted for rogue like/lite but in the modern definition :D

I want platformer roguelike/lite, shooter roguelike/lite, cardgame roguelike/lite, dice game roguelike/lite (one day maybe :D), sport roguelike/lite and even classic roguelike/lite... 

Tower defense rogue lites? :-D

• Like 1

I like to code/play RPGs with a minimal storyline. Like On Duty, Wizzy. Another fun area is also paddle games for analogic paddles like Breakout, Warlords, Medieval Mayhem.

It is kind of sad that the Lynx does not have paddle support.

Multiplayer games like Dynalynx are a blast.

• Like 2

I like platformers, especially kinda old school flip screen platformers when it comes to 2D games (hoping to be able to make one myself for the Lynx sometimes when life admits) and "Action Adventure games like Zelda". I do like all types of games, but those are probably my faves.

@karri I tried out Wizzy on the Lynx the other day and watched a let's play of the 7800 version. Lovely game, you have a knack for writing funny stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks Sampo, I started by creating the big fights with all the capabilities. But my sons adviced me to cut down on similar talents.

In a way I understand the desire to keep things simple.

Do you guys have opinions?

Wizzy has different objects that allow for different things like:

- fast transport (witch)
- tank/melee damage (barbarian)
- crowd control (ice mage)

- area of damage (earth mage)
- damage over time (fire mage)
- stealth (air mage)

Is this too much for a Lynx game?

You can swap objects by a long press on B + joypad.
During fight you have basically
A - attack

B - transport/parry

I still dream of making Wizzy as an improved On Duty with a better engine and NPC characters to interact with.

It got stuck because I got problems with programming my special 2MB flash cart. And I just have not had the time to analyse what went wrong.

• Like 2

Sorry I meant the Rainbow game! I think I've only played some really early alpha stuff of Wizzy. Got them mixed up since both have witches.

It's a hard question. I like the "keep it stupid simple" design approach myself, but on the other hand it feels like a lot of people that follow the Lynx are "IT-people" so to speak, and probably can handle more complicated games. It probably matters if one manages to make the controls somewhat standard and intuitive too. I don't know any science on how to make controls intuitive other than by trial and error by feel and feedback from testers though.

• Like 1

My top 3:

- Action RPG (one of the biggest genres to not be represented on Lynx, although Ynxa is arguably one)

- Puzzle (although the Lynx has many good puzzle games another one is always welcome)

- Adventure (the ones we have from Karri and Marcin and Fadest are some of my favorite indie Lynx games, and Bill and Ted and Dracula are some of my favorite retail games)

But really, I don't care about genre. Any good game is welcome. I'll never get tired of shooters, puzzle games, platformers, action adventure games, RPGs, dungeon crawlers, and what have you.

Whoever voted Dungeon Crawlers, I hope you've played Silas Adventure - it's amazing! 

• Like 2