IGNORED

Jaguar Section Now Online!

Albert

/software_search.html?SystemID=JAGUARTo coincide with the move to AtariAge's new home, we're proud to introduce the Atari Jaguar as the latest addition to our comprehensive, online database. We've created a Rarity Guide for the Jaguar, which links to cartridge scans, box scans, manual scans, overlays, and screenshots of nearly every Jaguar game known to exist. In addition, we have pictures and descriptions of Jaguar hardware, Jaguar history, links to Jaguar sites, and more! And we have plans to put additional Jaguar content online in the near future.

We hope you enjoy the new Jaguar section and if you have any suggestions or criticisms we'd love to hear them! Enjoy!

quote:

Originally posted by Waggie the CPA:

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to a Lynx section too, I hope.

It's coming. We worked pretty feverishly over the last week to get the Jaguar content done. Originally we were just going to move the server to its new home and then put the Jag section up. But most of the legwork for the Jag section was done, so we figured we'd put in the extra effort to get it done for yesterday.

I've already done a lot of the work needed for a Lynx section, and that will be the next one to go online. Now that we don't have to worry about disk limits, we have lots of content that'll go online. Right now I'm working through a huge backlog of scans I need to get online (2600 manuals, more catalogs, user submissions, and more), then work will proceed on the Lynx section.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Chazbeenhad:

So far I like the Jag section. I will help you fill in some blanks with things like Primal Rage Cover scans and all that. :-)

You have nothing for Rayman!!! it's a Sin!!!

hehe, I'll scan it all up tomorrow if you would like.

By the end of next week, the [/b]ONLY[/b] Jaguar game that I won't personally own will be Primal Rage, so it's amusing that you mentioned thatone. I did bid on one on eBay over this weekend, but was outbid. But that's okay, because I won five other games I needed, including Air Cars. I also have a BattleSphere on the way.

I'd love to get scans of the Primal Rage box and CD. And yes, it greatly disturbs me that I don't yet have Rayman, which is why there are presently no scans of it online. As soon as I get it in the mail I'll take scans and screenshots, making it a more complete entry. If you'd like to send me cart/box scans of Rayman, I can put them online even sooner.

Thanks,

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I have a complete Rayman, I'll scan the box and cart for you if want. I have all the Jaguar games with the exception of the Songbird titles, Aircars, and Battlesphere complete in the box. Let me know which scans you need.

With any luck, by next weekend I should have Rayman, Air Cars, BattleSphere and a few other games I am missing from my collection. The only one I'll need then is Primal Rage, which I need to keep my eyes out for. So there's really no need to scan Rayman since I'll be able to take that when it arrives. However, if you'd like to scan the box and cart I wouldn't complain. When I get Rayman in the mail, I'll also scan the manual and take some screen captures (boy, I can't wait until there's a working Jaguar emulator!)

..Al

If you ever beat Rayman let me know, I've been stuck at the end for months. I'm on the second to last set of boards and I'm missing one cage. It's on the level where you jump form beach ball to beach ball, the FAQ says it's there but it never appears. I think it's for a different version of the game since some of the boards it mentions weren't in the Jag version. I despertly want to beat this game!

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

If you ever beat Rayman let me know, I've been stuck at the end for months. I'm on the second to last set of boards and I'm missing one cage. It's on the level where you jump form beach ball to beach ball, the FAQ says it's there but it never appears. I think it's for a different version of the game since some of the boards it mentions weren't in the Jag version. I despertly want to beat this game!

Rayman will probably be one of the few Jaguar games that I'll attempt to play from start to finish. It's always a game I wanted to play, but I never got my hands on it when I first bought a Jaguar (when they first hit store shelves!)

I'll let you know when I get stuck at the same point as you. Hope it isn't a bug in the game!

..Al

I just wanted to say that I think that the Jaguar section is great. I really like all of the pictures. I would like to note a few things if I may.

1. Air Cars' media type is listed as a CD-ROM when it's a cartridge.

2. It's not important, but would it be possible to change the media type of the Tempest 2000 Soundtrack from CD-ROM to Audio CD? Like I said, it's not important, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway.

3. I noticed that the year of release sections were empty. If you're interested, Jeff's Jaguar Jungle has a game list that includes month and year of release of Jaguar games.

Anyway, these are my only suggestions and thanks for an excellent Jaguar section.

quote:

Originally posted by mshaver76:

2. It's not important, but would it be possible to change the media type of the Tempest 2000 Soundtrack from CD-ROM to Audio CD? Like I said, it's not important, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway.

????!!! The Tempest 2000 soundtrack IS a regular cd that can be played in any cd player.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

With any luck, by next weekend I should have Rayman, Air Cars, BattleSphere and a few other games I am missing from my collection. The only one I'll need then is Primal Rage, which I need to keep my eyes out for. So there's really no need to scan Rayman since I'll be able to take that when it arrives. However, if you'd like to scan the box and cart I wouldn't complain. When I get Rayman in the mail, I'll also scan the manual and take some screen captures (boy, I can't wait until there's a working Jaguar emulator!)

..Al

I have Primal Rage, complete except for the large outer box (just the case like the Jagcd pack-ins). I'll trade it for your copy of Aircars... I'm serious.

quote:

Originally posted by mshaver76:

I just wanted to say that I think that the Jaguar section is great. I really like all of the pictures. I would like to note a few things if I may.

3. I noticed that the year of release sections were empty. If you're interested,
Jeff's Jaguar Jungle
has a game list that includes month and year of release of Jaguar games.

Anyway, these are my only suggestions and thanks for an excellent Jaguar section.

Okay, I've fixed the media type for Air Cars, changed Tempest 2000 to Audio CD and added the Year information for nearly all the Jaguar titles. The only ones I didn't add this information for are the Memory Track, Tempest 2000 Soundtrack and Myst Demo. I know the Tempest 2000 Soundtrack and Myst Demo were included with the Jaguar CD, but I need to research when it was released and whether those items were included with it from the beginning. Also need to find out when the Memory Track was released.

I appreciate your eagle eyes and pointing out those items so we could fix them. Glad you enjoy the Jaguar section and we look forward to adding more content to it in the future (I'm working on an Archives section now, slowly building up items for it..)

Take care,

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

????!!! The Tempest 2000 soundtrack IS a regular cd that can be played in any cd player.

True, but it's not a CD-ROM in the "computer data" sense of the term. And it's not a CD in the proprietary format used by Jaguar games. It's a minor distinction, but mshaver76 is correct in pointing it out and it was easy enough to change.

..Al

quote:

I have Primal Rage, complete except for the large outer box (just the case like the Jagcd pack-ins). I'll trade it for your copy of Aircars... I'm serious.

Unfortunately I must respectively decline your offer at this time. If I happen to come into possession of another Air Cars, then perhaps we can come to arrangements at a future date.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Chazbeenhad:

things like Primal Rage Cover scans and all that. :-)

I sent in a Primal Rage box scan a while back... was it not high enough quality?

I guess I never got the rest of those cartridge scans to you, did I? Damn... I've been too busy lately to do much of anything. Despite just having two four-day weekends in a row, I don't think I've ever felt so stressed out in my life... I'll try to get these done eventually, but when I finally get the time, someone will probably have beat me to them. Sorry about that...

Tempest: I plowed through Rayman quite quickly, I'll have to try running through that level again to see if I can help you out. But, see the above paragraph before you expect my report (Oh, and prepare yourself for another dissappointing ending... the Jaguar seems to have lots of crappy game endings unfortuntaely)

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

I sent in a Primal Rage box scan a while back... was it not high enough quality?

I guess I never got the rest of those cartridge scans to you, did I? Damn... I've been too busy lately to do much of anything. Despite just having two four-day weekends in a row, I don't think I've ever felt so stressed out in my life... I'll try to get these done eventually, but when I finally get the time, someone will probably have beat me to them. Sorry about that...

I just put the Primal Rage box scan that you sent me, thanks! I had forgotten about those in my hectic rush to get the Jaguar section online after we leased the new server, and by then I had acquired nearly every Jaguar game. And now the only game I need is Primal Rage, so I can scan the CD and Box as well as take some screenshots. Well, okay, I also need all the Jaguar prototypes I can get my hands on, anyone want to help me with that?

I no longer need you to scan Jaguar cartridges, since I've already scanned all the cartridges and CDs that I have in my collection. Aside from Primal Rage, the only cartridge I need a scan of is the 2Meg Cybermorph, which may only differ from the 1Meg version by the color of the cartridge casing (and this is subtle enough that it probably wouldn't even be apparent with scans online unless they were done with the same scanner with the same settings).

It's interesting to note that the Jaguar section is the most complete of the four system we presently have online when it comes to cart scans, manuals, boxes and screenshots, although the 7800 is close behind. I'm now working on 2600 manuals and already have 100 manuals ready to go online..

..Al

<< Originally posted by Gunstar:

I have Primal Rage, complete except for the large outer box (just the case like the Jagcd pack-ins). I'll trade it for your copy of Aircars... I'm serious. >>

I bet your serious Gunstar Aircars is more rare than Battlesphere - and there will probably never be anymore Aircars produced.

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

I bet your serious Gunstar Aircars is more rare than Battlesphere - and there will probably never be anymore Aircars produced.

It's interesting that the

Air Cars auction I won on eBay went for considerably less than BattleSphere goes for, even with the rumors that another run of BattleSphere is going to be produced. I personally just paid $200 for BattleSphere, although I won't be terribly thrilled with that fact if they start selling BattleSphere again. But hey, it was for a good cause, now we have scans and screenshots of it online. And even if 4Play does another run of BattleSphere, the price will probably shoot right back up after they've sold out.

I've only played Air Cars and BattleSphere for a brief period of time and BattleSphere seems like the more interesting game to me. That probably helps to explain why it commands a higher price than Air Cars.

..Al

quote:

The only ones I didn't add this information for are the Memory Track, Tempest 2000 Soundtrack and Myst Demo. I know the Tempest 2000 Soundtrack and Myst Demo were included with the Jaguar CD, but I need to research when it was released and whether those items were included with it from the beginning. Also need to find out when the Memory Track was released.

I looked through old issues of Atari Explorer Online that's available at Jaguar Explorer Online and found the following information that I hope will help.

1. Volume 4, Issue 8 (October 10, 1995) says the Memory Track is shipping. It's under the Good, the New, and the Imminent section of Surfing the Jagged Edge.

2. I couldn't find any mention of the Myst demo shipping separately from the Jaguar CD. Also, the pack-ins were with the Jaguar CD from the beginning. Here's a press release quoted from Volume 4, Issue 8 (October 10, 1995) of AEO, spelling errors and all.

quote:

Atari Jaguar CD System Pounces onto Multimedia Marketplace

SUNNYVALE, CA -- (September 22, 1995) -- According to video game enthusiasts, it was well worth the wait. Atari Corporation's highly anticipated multimedia compact disc player for the Jaguar 64 interactive home entertainment system has hit the stores and is jumping off the shelves.

Atari Corporation has already sold out of its first production run of the CD peripheral, and is stepping up production to fill the high demand of retailers' reorders.

"Our first order of Jaguar CDs has been largely consumed by our customer pre-orders," said Peter Roithmayr, Senior Buyer from Electronic Boutique. "We have already reordered and are excited by the strong sales we are seeing for the Jaguar CD."

The combination of the Jaguar 64-bit console and the advanced CD technology yields a system with explosive power. As the first CD system coupled with 64-bit technology to hit the market, the Jaguar CD is on the leading edge of "next generation" home entertainment systems at only $149.95.

Gamers experience intense true color, full motion video and CD-quality stereo sound when upgrading to the Jaguar CD system. The CD component plugs into the Jaguar 64 console providing 790 Megabytes of raw data storage. Approximately 15 Jaguar CD titles will be available for sale later this year including hits like "Myst", "Primal Rage" from Time Warner Interactive, "Black ICEWhite Noise", "Highlander", and "Commander Blood".

"The launch of our Jaguar CD exemplifies Atari Corporation's commitment to providing consumers value priced components for their Atari entertainment system," said Ted Hoff, President of Atari's North American Operations. "Now, Jaguar owners can quickly and economically upgrade to a CD system and dramatically enhance their gaming experience."

In addition to the awesome gaming capabilities, the Jaguar CD elevates home entertainment to an entirely new level as it plays audio discs while providing simultaneous access to Atari's cartridge media. Players can experience a laser light show in their own homes with "The Virtual Light Machine" that is built into the Jaguar CD system. As audio discs play on the Jaguar CD, "The Virtual Light Machine" morphs, contorts and pulsates psychedelic light with the beat of the music.

With a suggested retail price of only $149.95, the Jaguar CD system is undoubtedly the best value on the market. Atari Corporation, however, takes their commitment to value-pricing one step further in giving Jaguar consumers a bonus pack with the CD peripheral. More than $100 in fast-action interactive software will be included free with the system. The software bonus pack contains:

* Blue Lightning -- Gamers pilot a plane from a squadron of United nations operatives as they fight to stop General Drako, the UN member turned terrorist. Players design flight plans and use their quick maneuvering skills to destroy key enemy locations and basis.

* Vid Grid -- An innovative way to "play" music videos. As players watch the video, the screen is divided into squares and placed out of order. Players must unscramble each video before it finishes playing. Vid Grid features videos from hot rock artist Guns 'n Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Ozzie Osbourne, Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Peter Gabriel, Aerosmith, and Sound Garden.

* Myst -- Jaguar CD consumers will be treated to a demo of the first level of game play for the wildly popular title. Players must use their intellect to unlock the secrets of ages past. Every detail, no matter how insignificant it first seems could be the key to unlocking the mystery.

* Tempest 2000 -- Consumers receive the audio CD to this all-time favorite Atari hit. With Jaguar CD capabilities, the Tempest 2000 soundtrack can by played with "The Virtual Light Machine".

The Jaguar CD peripheral with the bonus software pack-in is available in stores nationwide. Atari Corporation notified tens of thousands of Jaguar 64 users of the new Jaguar CD release through the company's Jaguar Alert consumer postcard program.

For more than twenty years, Atari Corporation has provided consumers with high quality value priced entertainment. Atari Corporation markets Jaguar, the only American-made advanced 64-bit entertainment system and is located in Sunnyvale, California.

# # #

Atari, the Atari logo and Jaguar are trademarks or registered trademarks of Atari Corporation. All Rights Reserved. All listed software is authorized by Atari for use with the Jaguar 64-Bit Multimedia System.

VID GRID ©1994-1995 Geffen Records, Inc. and Jasmine Multimedia publishing. All Rights Reserved. Produced by Norman Bell and Jasmine Multimedia Publishing. Licensed to Atari Corporation. Vid Grid is a trademark of Jasmine Multimedia Publishing and Geffen Records Inc.

MYST software copyright ©1993 Cyan, Inc. and Sun Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Atari Jaguar Adaptation (Worldwide) ©1995 Atari Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Myst is a registered trademark of Cyan, Inc.

Blue Lightning ©1989, 1995 Epyx. All Rights Reserved. ©1995 Atari Corporation. Blue Lightning is a trademark of Epyx, licensed for use by Atari Corporation.

3. The T2K soundtrack is trickier. It was released before the Jag CD. In the Offers from Atari Customer Service section, it was listed as a pre-order in the Volume 3, Issue 13 (December 4, 1994), Volume 3, Issue 14 (December 18, 1994), and Volume 4, Issue 1 (January 16, 1995). The first Offers from Atari Customer Service section to state that it was in stock was in Volume 4, Issue 2 (February 6, 1995).

4. This isn't related to any of the above, but thought I should mention it. In the Rarity Guide, Val d'Isere is misspelled. It's listed as Val D'Issere. Also, I'm not sure about this but I thought the Jaguar version of Doom was just plain old Doom, not Doom: Evil Unleashed. Like I said, I could be wrong. I was just curious.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: mshaver76 ]

quote:

True, but it's not a CD-ROM in the "computer data" sense of the term. And it's not a CD in the proprietary format used by Jaguar games. It's a minor distinction, but mshaver76 is correct in pointing it out and it was easy enough to change.

..Al

My bad, I thought he thought that Tempest 2k soundtrack WAS some sort of Jagcd, and he was asking if there was a way to convert it to a regular cd. I was letting him know that it was a regular cd and NOT a Jagcd. But I was the one that read his comment incorrectly as he was pointing out the error on the board. I did not know about the error of it being listed as cd-rom.

quote:

<< Originally posted by Gunstar:

I have Primal Rage, complete except for the large outer box (just the case like the Jagcd pack-ins). I'll trade it for your copy of Aircars... I'm serious. >>

I know, but Primal Rage is rare too. I used to own AirCars and traded it for a flashrom.

There is actually a small chance that Carl may republish AirCars at some point, he has mentioned this before, and he also said he wanted to try and get the source code from Midnight Entertainment (or whoever has it now as I think M.E. is out of business, but I think whoever worked/owned M.E. still owns the rights to the game, even though ICD published it), and make some changes to the gameplay and other improvements.

Albert, the reason AirCars does not cost as much as Battlesphere, even though it may be more rare, is because it is not very good, Battlesphere is good. AirCars could have been good, and that's what, hopefully, Carl at Songbird can do...I did kind of like the game (I finished it twice-30+ levels), but it does need a lot of work to be a "contender." I traded it because I wanted the unfinished PhaseZero game which is available but requires an Alpine development board or a flashrom to run. It's 10 times better in everyway than AirCars, even though it is only 5 really playable levels, and it still needs a lot of work. Unfortunately, I was loading another game on to the flashrom, or attempting to, when my PC's parallel printer port decided to short out and it took my flashrom with it. ;( So now, I have no Aircars and no PhaseZero. ;( But I never really cared for Primal Rage, and would just as soon have an AirCars again, I thought I'd give it a shot anyway...

quote:

My bad, I thought he thought that Tempest 2k soundtrack WAS some sort of Jagcd, and he was asking if there was a way to convert it to a regular cd. I was letting him know that it was a regular cd and NOT a Jagcd. But I was the one that read his comment incorrectly as he was pointing out the error on the board. I did not know about the error of it being listed as cd-rom.

Yeah, I re-read it too and realized I could've been a little clearer. The reason I was asking if it was possible is because I didn't know if those values in the Rarity Guide were hard coded for either cartridge or CD-ROM. In which case, CD-ROM would've been the more accurate of the two. I just didn't want them to go through a lot of trouble just to switch the T2K soundtrack from CD-ROM to Audio CD.

Gunstar is right, Primal Rage is also pretty rare, though no where near as rare as Air Cars. Primal Rage is also a much better game I got my Air Cars when Zenatak or whatever the guys name was liquidating on Jaguar Interactive II and I think I paid like 90 dollars for it. I have run across Primal Rage a few times for a decent price but only when it was part of a much larger collection that I was buying (the true secret to getting awesome deals on Jaguar games - buying collections).

quote:

I have run across Primal Rage a few times for a decent price but only when it was part of a much larger collection that I was buying (the true secret to getting awesome deals on Jaguar games - buying collections).

That's how I ended up with the bulk of my collection, which included a boxed Jag & Jag CD and a ton of CIB Jaguar games, including some rare Telegames titles. I was quite pleased. But now the only title I'm missing is Primal Rage and I'm not about to buy someone's collection just to pick up that one title. So if anyone happens to come by an extra copy of Primal Rage, please let me know!

..Al