IGNORED

Never seen this game before..

liquid_sky

Recently, I downloaded a promo video of the 7800.. I have played ALMOST all of the titles on the 7800 and never encountered this.. could it be GATO?

Windows Media wont let me take screenshots, but it looks like an abstract checkerboard pattern, the video filename is 7800commercail-1 in case anyone wants to download it. The only games I havent really played that i can think of off the top of my head are Impossible Mission, and Scrapyard dog, but I am pretty sure this is not either one.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

it looks like an abstract checkerboard pattern, ... The only games I havent really played that i can think of off the top of my head are Impossible Mission, and Scrapyard dog, but I am pretty sure this is not either one.

Actually Impossible Mission does have a checkerboard in it. It's the room where you have the musical notes. You have to put the notes in order from low to high. It gets more complicated every time you get one right. And if you do get one right you get either a Sleep or Elevators Reset.

Did it look like this?:

http://home2.nexgo.de/cybergoth/epyx/blue1.gif

As Mitch said, the only other game with a checkerboard in it is Ballblazer.

Interesting how they mention Sky Fox and GATO. That Sky Fox clip could be from the prototype that John Hardie told me he discovered, but that GATO clip is damn odd. The prototype I saw didn't have the parascope screen with targets you could shoot at. Either there's a later prototype (Tom Sloper didn't think so), or they leeched that from the XE version of the game.

Tempest

Hmm...it is interesting to note that Skyfox appears to be much more further along than we were previously led to believe.

anybody notice that Choplifter doesn't look anything like it does in that commercial and also...Midnight Magic. Hehe...would have been cool to see Midmight Magic with a complete title screen on the side.

Just interesting to note those things that's all. I wonder what that Midnight Magic shot was from?

How about the shot of Choplifter! in the commerical clip. It is definitly NOT the Atari 7800 version. It is the typical 'night version' you saw on many other platforms. The Atari 7800 version was more arcade-like with the Day time setting, and larger sprites.

Tell you the truth, the Choplifter version they show looks like the C64 version. Ha!

-Trebor

Choplifter was originally released by broderbund on the Apple and Atari, later other platforms, but Sega later released it in the arcades and the C64 version and 7800 version are translations of the arcade version, that's why they look different.

Too bad they didn't include the the Sam launchers on the either...Man those are tough to take out! And dodge!

also you can clips your people with the blades...which isn't possible on the 7800 version. You can squash them...but not kill em with the blades.

I also wish the 7800 version had more than just that one board and scene. Instead of just ending once you lost all your lives or all 64 POWs being accounted for.

oh well, Not bad I guess for what it is...