IGNORED

Best Atari ST "Game Machine"

Tempest

Which Atari ST system makes for the best "game machine"? I know systems like the TT030, and Falcon have compatibility problems with many older games, so they're probably out. I don't know how bad the compatibility issues are on the STE line of computers, but I've heard of problems. I don't know how many STE only games were released, but I'm guessing not many so the STE is probably out.

That leaves the 1040ST and Mega ST. The Mega ST looks pretty sharp, so I think I may go for that unless there's a reason to upgrade to the Mega STE.

Tempest

There's going to be compatibility issues regardless of which system you get. Some games don't like old TOS versions, while some don't like anything other than TOS 1.0. There's also a few that were written for STE and up, and some that will work on all but lose some features on the older systems. I think the Falcon has pretty good compatibility with games on the ST, while it has it's own games that just won't run on any of the others. If you want max compatibility, just download STeem. :D But grabbing a Falcon and a 1040ST will probably set you up for at least 99% of the games written for the ST series.

I like the Mega ST computers also, not just because they look good, but because I love the feel of the keyboards on those. Plus you can stick the monitor on top of the computer, and if you have a MegaFile, all the better. I don't remember having many problems running software on the Mega ST2 (or was it ST4? I forget now).

Of course, a Mega STE would also not suck. :) But I have no experience with the STE computers at all, nor do I even have one (need to get my hands on one at some point).

..Al

I would not recommend the Mega STe as a "general" game computer.

I know that compatibility issues have been addressed thorughly here, but I'll add that only about 1/2 of my ST collection will work on my Megas, and the TOS fixes often don't seem to help that much.

I'd suggest that the 1040STe is a better choice, as it would seem that about 75-80% of commercial entertainment software will run on them.[/b]

I think that would largely depend on what version of TOS is installed in your Mega. They did have a production run (I think) from '87-'90, so it's possible that the installed TOS might vary.

My Mega was modded, as well, and I suppose it's a given that the installation of some third party products is going to effect compatibility with some software. Overall, I'd say that there's a better chance that a Mega will be able to play a wider selection of games than a Mega STe would. :)

Do the Mega ST's have the compatibility problems or is it just the STE's?

Tempest

Mega STs don't have most of the compatibility issues that a Mega STE would have. Still, though, I'd have a hard time recommending that anyone get a Mega ST over a Mega STE unless ALL you want to do is play games. Also, I still wouldn't dismiss the Falcon as being highly incompatible. Maybe it's just me, but I've had very few ST games fail to work on mine. I guess it just depends to what extent you want it to function as a game machine.

I have a Mega STE and a TT. The Mega STE is obviously better at running games than the TT.

I have to say I have had very good sucess with the Mega STE on gaming. I would say I am seeing 80-85 percent compatibility with games if not higher.

One benefit to the Mega STE (and TT) is they support high density disks. I have found a few of my games that have stopped working (bad disks) and I was able to find images on the Web of them and right them back to high density diskettes (even though they are being written in DD) and they work fine. I have pretty much imaged all my stuff and burnt it to a DVDR. Most of my favorites I have written back from the images to HD diskettes for playing in the Mega STE.

A friend has a 1040 STE and has tried to use HD diskettes with the one hole covered with tape and writing games to them in double density, but hasn't had great success. He had to find DD diskettes for a better sucess rate.

It depends on what type of games you want to play.

If you want to play Falcon and STe games, I'd go with the Falcon. I'm pretty sure most STe games work with the Falcon.

If you want to play ST games, then a 1040ST with TOS 1.0 is the best. I have yet to see an ST game fail with TOS 1.0 (after all, it's the original)

The Megas only came with TOS 1.2 in the US. Some of the later 520STFMs and 1040STs came with TOS 1.2 too. Unfortunately, you can't tell which TOS version you have until you boot it up or open it up. :( I know there are some games that don't work with TOS 1.2 and up.

I own a 1040STf and 1040STE and my STf is in the closet. I own about 40 ST games and all of them work on my STE except Star Wars: The Arcade Game. I also have a 27' TV next to my computer desk and will sometimes hook up my STE to that. It’s nice to kick back and play games on a nice big screen with sound pumping through my surround sound system. :D A regular STf can't be hooked up to a TV.

I think the 1040STE is better with gaming than the Mega STE's are. 1040STE's will either have TOS 1.6 or 1.62, which is more compatible with older games than TOS 2.05 and 2.06, the TOS that shipped with Mega STE's.

I think that some games are also enhanced for the STE line as well. I know that Populus on my STE has music, while on my STf it has no music. I also think(don’t own) that the regular ST(non Falcon) versions of Ishar, Robinson’s Requiem and Transartica take advantage of the STE.

The standard 1040STE has the blitter graphics co-proccessor, 720k floppy drive, stereo sound, 4096 color palette and up to 4mb of memory. The STE also has the Atari Jaguar gamepad ports on the side, which are used by some STE/Falcon only games such as Substation(FPS), Zero 5(shooter, also on the Jag) and Obsession(pinball).

Are there STE ONLY games? Most of the enhanced games seem to be STE/Falcon games. There are also some cool Falcon only games. The ultimate ST gaming rig would be to have a 1040STfm and Falcon, SC1435 monitor, TV and a system selector. ;)

So it's not the system that's the problem (for the most part), it's the TOS version? Interesting... What TOS version is best? Rainbow TOS?

The only thing that turns me off about the 1040STE is the case design, it's ugly! I really like the Mega ST case style (and the Mega STE). I don't think there are enough STE enhanced games to make it worth the trouble of getting an STE system (especially since you give up some compatibility with older systems). I'm probably going to be running standard run-of-the-mill ST games.

Tempest

From my experience, if you are looking to play a lot of games then you should get an STe. You still might want to have an ST with TOS 1.0 also because there are several older games that will not run on an STe (I think Arkanoid is one). There were also several games written for the STe that will take advantage of its features, such as Pac-Man STe.

I would recommend an STe as it will play the vast majority of games. The ideal setup would be an STf, an STe, and a Falcon. You got the best of all worlds then.

I never used my TT for games; it was my workhorse for applications.

Mendon

I might be going to a flea market this weekend near me that has had a MegaST 4 w/ monitor, 60meg external HD, and a Atari laser printer (can't remember the number; it was the smaller of the two printers) for sale for a few months now. Last time I talked to the vendor he wanted $125 for everything. Looks in good cosmetic condition and from what I played around with it appears to be in perfect working order (not sure about printer). I almost bought it once but decided not to as I don't need another ST of any kind. I'll see if its still there when I go.

Mendon

Hmm... I just read this article in MyAtari Magazine called Mega STE love:

http://www.myatari.net/issues/sep2002/megaste.htm

I think I want a Mega STE now. Still, the compatibility issues do worry me. However if I stick to TOS 2.05 (rather than 2.06) I think I should be ok. Any thoughts?

Tempest

I love the Mega STE (and the TT). Your not going to get 100% compatibility with it, but you are going to get very good compatibility.

You can do some stuff to get programs to run that are flaky. I have loaded Tos 1.0 from disk on the Mega STE to get a couple old games to work.

If you have any must run games your curious about let me know, I can do some tests for you.

Hmm... I just read this article in MyAtari Magazine called Mega STE love:

http://www.myatari.net/issues/sep2002/megaste.htm

I think I want a Mega STE now.  Still, the compatibility issues do worry me.  However if I stick to TOS 2.05 (rather than 2.06) I think I should be ok.  Any thoughts?

Tempest

I will check Ultima's out tonight.

I think 2.06 is better in the long run. I think you will find a game here and there that doesn't like 2.06, but likes 2.05 and vice versa. Just like some don't like other versions of Tos.

Loading Tos 1.0 is an option that can help. The only problem with the disk Tos'es is that they boot to the desktop so running stuff that has a boot sector or auto folder can still be a problem. You can sometimes get around the auto folder issue by just running the program manually, but it doesn't always work. I am going to make a little program to load the boot sector manually and execute the code.

I have two games I have used the Tos 1.0 on disk with my Mega STE. 10th Frame Bowling, and Arkanoid (the first one). From what I have read Arkanoid only runs on Tos 1.0 no matter what machine you have.

If you look at some of the Atari FTP sites out there you will find some stuff that has been patched to work on the STE. There are quite a few "Version 2" automation disks that had STE fixes to them.

How about the Ultima series? (II-VI)

So is TOS 2.06 a problem (as described in that article) or is it a better choice than 2.05?

Tempest

Wasn't there a product that allowed you to dual boot between two TOS's?  A Wizztronics board or something like that?

Tempest

I actually did have a dual boot system at one time (Bought it second hand, though)

I'm sure if you look around you can find one.

Which Atari ST system makes for the best "game machine"?  I know systems like the TT030, and Falcon have compatibility problems with many older games, so they're probably out.  I don't know how bad the compatibility issues are on the STE line of computers, but I've heard of problems.  I don't know how many STE only games were released, but I'm guessing not many so the STE is probably out.

That leaves the 1040ST and Mega ST.  The Mega ST looks pretty sharp, so I think I may go for that unless there's a reason to upgrade to the Mega STE.

Tempest

Hi,

if you want the best ST game machine, you should get a STE with TOS 1.62 and 1 or 2 megs of RAM.

It is interresting to note that compatibility is better with cracked games than originals, it seems old ST games used some very strange protections that made the games crash on STE.

I remembered after looking at my game list that Ultima II worked on the Mega STE. If I remember right it was a GEM based game. It had windows for the various parts of the game.

I created a new topic with my list of games that have worked on my Mega STE.

How about the Ultima series? (II-VI)

Tempest