IGNORED

Interest in a new Jaguar/Lynx/Classics book?

Songbird

Question for all you Jaguar and Lynx fans out there. For a long time I've been thinking about doing a (one-time) Jaguar and Lynx magazine. This would be a full-color, glossy magazine with 32 or 64 pages, similar print quality to any current video game magazine.

The goal here would be to provide all-new content on post-Atari releases for the Jaguar and Lynx. Not just a rehash of reviews and screen captures already on the web, but NEW material on these games. Things like interviews with the original developers, unpublished cheats, background info on how the game was licensed/published, strategy guides, screen captures of game endings or other unusual/hard-to-access scenes, and so on. Each game would probably receive anywhere from half a page to 2 pages in coverage. Layout would be professional style, not just black text on white pages with one or two tiny screens.

The drawback: full-color glossy printing is VERY expensive, and my current estimate is that I would need to sell approximately 200 issues at $29.95 apiece just to break even. That's an awfully big risk to take.

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in owning a Jaguar/Lynx mag like this? Would you pay $29.95 for what would be THE definitive guide to post-Atari releases?

What about expanding it to cover post-Atari 2600 (5200, etc.) releases? Would that make the mag even more appealing, or would it dilute its appeal?

Any feedback is welcome.

I like the idea. I am not sure you would call it a magizine (I'm not sure what the definition of a magizine is). It would be more like a post-mortem guide. I definitely support this effort.

I would like to see inclusion of all Atari game systems as well as 8bit and ST computers (as long as it is game related as opposed to applications).

Just my 2 cents....

-Lee

I think it's a great idea, including all of the above, but your right about the price...that is a bit much. So I'd go one of two ways; use less expensive materials and/or do a disc that people can print off on their color printers. Or, add a lot more content maybe covering Everything released for the Jaguar and Lynx, not just the post Atari stuff...I'd be willing to pay upwards of 40-50 bucks for a book covering it all on those two systems...

I think it's a pretty good idea if it includes all post-Tramiel Atari related stuff. It could include homebrew games for the older systems, and perhaps even Atari titles for modern systems. A post-mortem on Atari Games would be another good feature.

I think the focus that would be the most likely to garner interest would be an all-inclusive view of Atari in the modern world of gaming. Focusing on the Lynx and Jaguar would make that price point a bit of a hard sell.

Hit him in the eye!  That's what you have to do.  

Penetrate the eye and go right through to his brain.

I think Gregory George from the Atari Times website (www.ataritimes.com) is doing a similar project but for Lynx games only.

He is actually paying people to write short reviews and guides for Lynx games which he is supposed to compile and publish in book form when enough material is submitted.

Just thought you guys should know.

I'd be up for either a magazine or a CD-ROM, but for the "collecting" streak in me, a magazine would seem more appropriate (although "feel" less permanent, hmm.....).

As for content (and this is purely from a selfish viewpoint) I would prefer it to concentrate on Jaguar and Lynx titles purely because I have very little knowledge of the older systems & games, but as a newcomer to the Jaguar & Lynx scenes, I would certainly get some value from an in-depth look at post-Atari releases.

I would also hope (although this is perhaps wishful thinking) that it could be regarded as a "Part 1". I would hope that there would be enough new titles released after the magazine was printed that a "Part 2" could be done in the future. I am attemtping to learn to program purely to create a game for the Lynx so I'd like to think there were others out there still creating away on some things as yet unannounced.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Brig ]

O.K., maybe I was asking for too much now that I think about it more...as far as content. Your idea Carl, of having only post Atari stuff is the best way to go. But, Maybe you could do a combination high-quality magazine and a CDrom for about 30-35 bucks. The addition of the cd would help ease wallet pain as people are getting more for their money and a more permanent record. The glossy format of the book/mag is starting to look a lot better the more I think about it too. A real quality collector's item. Then the cd could also include sound bites and tunes and short fmv's. I'd be willing to pay close to $40 for such a thing, if neccessary. Of course I STILL have to scrape up the money for a few of your Lynx games and Protector. I can't keep up with your releases! But keep them coming, I'll get them all eventually.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Here's a sample list of post-Atari (Lynx and Jag) games:

Lynx releases:

Fat Bobby

Krazy Ace

Bubble Trouble

Raiden

Hyperdrome

SIMIS

SFX

Ponx

Lexis

Remnant

CyberVirus (two editions)

Champ Rally

Sokomania

Othello

Ultravore (upcoming)

Distant Lands (upcoming)

etc.

Jaguar releases:

Towers II

Breakout 2000

World Tour Racing

IS2 (two editions)

Worms

BattleSphere

Protector (two editions)

Hyper Force

Soccer Kid

Skyhammer

Gorf (upcoming)

Painter (upcoming)

etc.

Pretty good mix of games, I think.

I would definitely go for the CD. I am doing something similar right now on my own computer where I am stock piling different Atari items to put onto a CD. I am getting very close to having enough content to put it on CD ( I have about 500 megabytes of Atari content right now) but it would be only for my own personal use and not for distribution.

Therefore, I would suggest the CD as this would be less expensive to produce, gives easy access to materials and it is easier to store than a magazine that might tear by accident and thus lose its value.

Just my 2 cents.

I just posted this as a response on the newsgroups, but I'll repeat it here as well.

How about publishing it on a CD-ROM (or more likely a CD-R) instead? It would surely cut down on the costs, since you wouldn't have to pay so much for full color printing. Just put the content on a CD in HTML and/or Adobe Acrobat format. If the purchaser wants a hard copy, he could then print out whatever portions he needs.

You could also include some MPEG files demonstrating the games in action. That's something you can't do with a print magazine. I bet a lot of people haven't seen all of those games in motion yet.

Another advantage to doing it this way is that you could produce updated versions later on. It would be nice to see it updated annually.

Here are some other ideas that could be implemented on the CD:

1. Compilations of all the FAQ's for the various Atari systems.

2. Searchable database of hints and codes for Atari games, with the ability to suppress hints or codes that the user does not want revealed to him at that particular time (such as walkthroughs, codes for higher levels, or game endings).

3. Links to Web sites of Atari game developers, vendors, publications, and enthusiasts.

I myself would pay up to $10 for something like this, but probably not much more unless it was REALLY comprehensive, or had some enticing bonus (like mini-games that could be loaded on a Jaguar using the JagFree CD).

I like the idea, I like the idea even more with a cd-rom. Would be much more less expensive and can include a hell of a lot more goodies like hundreds if not thousands of pictures, video clips, etc. That would definately be cool. And just so you have an idea, I would be willing to pay 15-20 for such a thing like that on cd.

Actually what might be cool is a CD-ROM with a smaller published magazine, say maybe 8 pages or so.

Also, I've been batting around an idea for a Lynx and/or Jaguar collector application. The idea is that the program is pre-loaded with a database of all the carts, hardware, collectibles, etc., including pictures. You can put in your inventory and your own pictures as well as create want lists. It would also distinguish between having the cart, box, instructions, etc.

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by Songbird:

Here's a sample list of post-Atari (Lynx and Jag) games:

Lynx releases:

Fat Bobby

Krazy Ace

Bubble Trouble

Raiden

Hyperdrome

SIMIS

SFX

Ponx

Lexis

Remnant

CyberVirus (two editions)

Champ Rally

Sokomania

Othello

Ultravore (upcoming)

Distant Lands (upcoming)

etc.

Jaguar releases:

Towers II

Breakout 2000

World Tour Racing

IS2 (two editions)

Worms

BattleSphere

Protector (two editions)

Hyper Force

Soccer Kid

Skyhammer

Gorf (upcoming)

Painter (upcoming)

etc.

Pretty good mix of games, I think.

You left out ZeroFive and Aircars on the Jaguar list of post-Atari games...

And Painter is a game that can be loaded up with a BJL, JUGS or possibly the Jagfree cd, what's up with it being in the list? If it's the same game, and someone is going to "publish" it, I doubt I'd buy that one since I already have it! It's not good enough to be a commercial release either...unless a TON of work has gone into improving it...

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Sounds like a good idea. Personally, I would prefer a book/magazine & concentrated on the Jaguar/Lynx. As you said it is nice to be able to pick up & read, as I spent too much time in front of PC screens at work & home!

What I really want to know is, Carl do you have 8 days in your week? You are far too busy Not complaining keep up the good work & I am sure whatever option you take it will be as good as previous efforts

And Painter is a game that can be loaded up with a BJL, JUGS or possibly the Jagfree cd, what's up with it being in the list?

Because the JagFree CD of it hasn't been released yet, and the game is still being worked on. The version you have is actually one of the demos included on the most current BJL ROM.

If it's the same game,

Which it isn't.

and someone is going to "publish" it, I doubt I'd buy that one since I already have it!

No, you don't. I do

It's not good enough to be a commercial release either...

Again...your version isn't, mine is.

unless a TON of work has gone into improving it...

Which it has.

If you want to spend the rest of the thread trying to prise your foot out of your mouth then feel free ;-)

The problem here is that you're referring to the version released YEARS ago and I have the new version, which is much cooler (music throughout, nicer menus, more levels, etc, etc.). Gordon of SiniDev released a video of the release I was testing for him; it's on his website somewhere. The address is

http://sinister.kewlplace.com/

Enjoy.

Stone

If you decide to release it on CD-ROM, could you include some interviews like the type that found on the back in time website. I used to love to visit that site to see what new Atari alumnus was being interviewed but it seems that there have been little to no updates in some time.

I've been reading this thread on Jaguar Interactive II, the Jaguar discussion newsgroup, and here at AtariAge... and this is my turn.

PAPER OR PLASTIC?

I'm still not sure about the CD idea. At first mention, that appealed to me because I could imagine being able to play the CD in your PlayStation, Sega CD, Atari Jaguar, etc. which would make it a unique CD+G console enhancing collectible. That's probably not the format you were thinking about, but I thought it'd be cool if it could use a console system to promote the games, if that's a possibility. However, another post mentioned that some people may copy the CD. No hard copy magazine would be subject to the kind of easy copying methods a CD would be subject to. In the end, I'm still left saying I would prefer to buy the paper product. I'm not as concerned about price as others might be. You get what you pay for and in this case it would be a quality product, I'm sure.

DOES IT HAVE 64-BITS?

Now, this rough estimate of "32 or 64 pages" in length wouldn't have anything to do with the Atari Jaguar's 32-bit or 64-bit debates, would it? ; )

Guys, thanks for the continued responses. All the feedback is appreciated, believe me. Even though a lot of people have spoken in favor of the magazine format, I honestly don't think I'd be able to sell the 200+ copies need just to break even.

But I will keep working on the concept, see if there are alternatives (B&W, CDROM, etc.) that would both be economical and justify the incredible amount of time this kind of project would require.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see it on CD-Rom for windows with a price under $20.

Any info on the Lynx would be awesome.

Interviews with the programmers,artist,gametesters..etc..

Video clips of anything Atari related...

The more info the better..fill that CD up!