IGNORED

BattleSphere Gold announced!

someguy

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

I hear a lot of the demos are coming off the Demo CD such as Durantik, and the Sinistar stuff. You might want to verify exactly what you get on the demo CD as some people on JII were saying they did not want there games released on that demo, they wanted to release the demos themselves.

All the demos are included. We had a mixup because I had asked to distribute the demos over 2.5 years ago and it was long forgotten because this was so long in the making.

All is cool now, and I want to thank Sinister and Duranik for their help. If these guys release any products, I suggest we all support them! They are top-shelf developers!

I got my copy in the mail yesterday! Whoohoo! As someone who missed the boat on getting Battlesphere the first time around, I'm pretty psyched.

My first impressions:

Having been spoiled by newer space combat games like colony wars and star wars starfighter, the graphics are decidedly simpler. However, the control setup seems great. I've played some of the training missions and gauntlet so far, and combat is very satisfying.

The demo CD is pretty cool. There are eight demo in all, three of which are games. The Jaz 3D/Music Engine demo and Turtle 3D demo are more interesting after you've experimented by pressing different buttons!

I haven't tried out JUGS yet as I don't have a Jaglink cable, however it was fun to see the pdf of the Color Battlesphere manual...

Thanks Scatologic for making Battlesphere available again.

Cheers,

le geek

Thanks for the posotive feedback! We're really glad you liked it.

When I get a little free time, I'll put up some of the history of those demos online, so everyone can see where they originated.

For example, the JAZ 3D demo was an in-house Atari demo which was intended to show off to developers their 2nd generation music and sound engine. It's really quite a nice piece of work. They combined it with their updated 3D polygon engine for the demo. I never saw anyone else who had this demo, so I thought it would be cool to share.

The Fulsyn demo is a demo of another Atari sound engine. This one uses completely synthesized instruments (no samples). I think it's pretty nice sounding actually.

Yes, keep pressing buttons! You'd be amazed what you might find.

I got my copy of BS Gold yesterday. Very well done. I won't rehash about the BS differences, but I absolutely love the demo CD. Having purchased Jugs earlier, I didn't do much with it other than play with some of the demos when I first got it. The demo CD is a real convenience if one has a JagCD. I hope to see more demos released, if not actual games. I would definetely support any folks who develop for the Jag. Slam Racer is pretty nice. It was the first time I played that one. Hope to see some more releases soon.

Question for T-Bird- Are the sounds generated on the synth demo all generated from the Jag? If so, I am impressed, those tracks are extremely cool. I assume Stephanie helped out on most, if not all these.

Thanks again for a very fine product and your support of the Jag community.

-Lee

quote:

Originally posted by Lee Krueger:

Question for T-Bird- Are the sounds generated on the synth demo all generated from the Jag? If so, I am impressed, those tracks are extremely cool. I assume Stephanie helped out on most, if not all these.

The JAZ demo is a demo that Atari sent out to developers to promote their new Music/3D engines, late in the life of the jaguar. I'm not sure if anyone ever used this code. I just liked the demo.

The Fulsyn demo uses a sound engine that Atari put together that uses only generated waveforms for sound. No samples were used.

Thanks for all the great comments! We're so glad you like it!

Thunderbird:

I rec'd my copy today and my only regret is not buying two more! It broke my heart to break the shrinkwrap; I was thinking 'Geez, I shoulda got 3, two for network play and one for the vault'. Of course thats just wishfull thinking.

Congrats on a great game, I know I'll be spending some time with it!

thanks,

Markimus of K.

quote:

Originally posted by Markimus of K.:

I rec'd my copy today and my only regret is not buying two more! ... Congrats on a great game, I know I'll be spending some time with it!

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was hard to come up with ideas to top what we already did, but judging from the compliments we succeeded. Thanks again for making this hobby so rewarding!

• 2 years later...

Hello,

(No, it's not... this is an old thread for historical amusement!)

If you don't already know, the Scatologic web-site is down.

A limited edition of "BattleSphere Gold" has been announced!

http://www.scatologic.com/  

icon_smile.gif

For the conspiracy theorists here, who thinks a new product

might be on the way? They say they've given up on the Jag,

but maybe BattleSphere Gold for the Xbox, or for Windows?

What product would you like them to release, if any?

If you want to comment to Thunderbird, you have to be a member

of the JS-II forum though. I'll ask the same question over there...

Let this discussion be flame free though, T'Bird can't come here,

and apparently it's just a hosting move problem, or something,

but when did a cover story like that excuse conspiracy theories?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Welcome. ;-)

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would guess that Scatologic is working on a commercial Jaguar emulator that will come with a licensed Battlesphere ROM.

But that is nothing more than a wild guess.

Are you a BattleSphere or BSG owner yet, how long with a Jaguar?

Would you buy such a thing? (It depends I guess if you're new to Jag.)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Both T-bird and Oppressor have hinted over at JSII about a PC or Xbox 2 release of Battlesphere.  The site being down has nothing to do with an update, or at least that's what we've been told.

Despite the small snag in the topic, they really should read the "Battlesphere: Killer app or old pap" topic first. It was a pretty good insight on what people thought of the game beyond the hype.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53340

Both T-bird and Oppressor have hinted over at JSII about a PC or Xbox 2 release of Battlesphere.  The site being down has nothing to do with an update, or at least that's what we've been told.

Despite the small snag in the topic, they really should read the "Battlesphere: Killer app or old pap" topic first. It was a pretty good insight on what people thought of the game beyond the hype.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53340

Well, I know T-bird can't read that forum over here since he was banned. I think Oppressor stopped frequenting here in support of T-bird, but I could be mistaken. There was definitely a few constructive comments (as well as a few not so constructive) in that thread that they could probably incorporate into a release on the PC or Xbox 2.

Hi, Jaysmith

I thought that Tbird just canceled his subscription. And by the way, can't ANY guest read the posts?

Just curious

Hi Paolo,

Well, last time I asked him about this he said he was blocked from coming here. He was indeed banned, if you search through past threads I believe you can still read about it..... I never agreed with the decision to do that, but of course it wasn't up to me.

Hi, Jaysmith

I thought that Tbird just canceled his subscription. And by the way, can't ANY guest read the posts?

Just curious

Well, last time I asked him about this he said he was blocked from coming here. He was indeed banned, if you search through past threads I believe you can still read about it..... I never agreed with the decision to do that, but of course it wasn't up to me.

Because AtariAge does not require an account like JS-II to read it though, and because there are a multitude of proxy servers out there, including free anonymous ones, if he wants to read anything here I'm sure he can.

Also, I gather from his posts previously, whenever anything remotely connected to BattleSphere comes up, people email him threads direct. I think he's then totally free to comment on the parallel JS-II forums. :)

However, no forum needs the authors of all the other Jaguar games to be present to discuss them, and have a good time, we recently had a good chat about , and the Club Drive authors didn't need to be present, although of course perhaps they could have contributed some useful information if they had been, but people might hold back thoughts too.

Anyway... the thread was brought back for a tongue-in-cheek hypothetical discussion about what Scatologic might have up their sleeves for when their web-site is back online. Really a wish-list. Your idea of a dream surprise release from them, just as Thunderbird surprised us all with the Gold update to BattleSphere.

I'm sure their next product will be great, and I'm sure a lot of people know their enthusiasm for the X-Box (which would itself look great with an Atari logo on it perhaps - but might drive away a generation of MS hating Atari fans - if MS don't buy Nintendo first) and could be the natural home for the next BattleSphere. I still think it would look great on a GameCube though, the spinning big-N-cube would look great with the spinning big-4-cube of 4Play at the start!!! (Sony? I can't see it on a PS2 somehow.)

BattleSphere-X I hope... start a petition! :D

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hi, Jaysmith

Just curious

Because AtariAge does not require an account like JS-II to read it though, and because there are a multitude of proxy servers out there, including free anonymous ones, if he wants to read anything here I'm sure he can.

Also, I gather from his posts previously, whenever anything remotely connected to BattleSphere comes up, people email him threads direct. I think he's then totally free to comment on the parallel JS-II forums. :)

However, no forum needs the authors of all the other Jaguar games to be present to discuss them, and have a good time, we recently had a good chat about , and the Club Drive authors didn't need to be present, although of course perhaps they could have contributed some useful information if they had been, but people might hold back thoughts too.

Anyway... the thread was brought back for a tongue-in-cheek hypothetical discussion about what Scatologic might have up their sleeves for when their web-site is back online. Really a wish-list. Your idea of a dream surprise release from them, just as Thunderbird surprised us all with the Gold update to BattleSphere.

I'm sure their next product will be great, and I'm sure a lot of people know their enthusiasm for the X-Box (which would itself look great with an Atari logo on it perhaps - but might drive away a generation of MS hating Atari fans - if MS don't buy Nintendo first) and could be the natural home for the next BattleSphere. I still think it would look great on a GameCube though, the spinning big-N-cube would look great with the spinning big-4-cube of 4Play at the start!!! (Sony? I can't see it on a PS2 somehow.)

BattleSphere-X I hope... start a petition! :D

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Good point Richard, I guess that is true. Of course, he can't respond though which is unfortunate.

I agree their next project really sounds like it's going to be cool. Scott LeGrand is a lot more forthcoming with information. :) I know I'll be first in line to pick it up!

Who knows what else they might have up their sleeves.... ;)