IGNORED

Collecting Goals

sku_u

I've been debating how much more collecting I'm actually going to do for the Atari 2600, but have set a goal for myself that, if I reach, will likely be the end of the road for me in terms of actively collecting for the 2600.

My goal is to have every rarity 1-9 NTSC game including major label variations (my definition of major variation: label variations listed in the Atariage DB, AND/OR the Atariguide site) loose. I'm getting there, but still have a ways to go, although the only "original' title with a rarity under 9 I still don't have in some fashion is Exocet by Panda :D

What are your 2600 collecting goals?

My goals are to get as many different 2600 games as i can! :D But my short term goals are to finish my 7800 collection i'm about 15 games away maybe less. I have 165 different 2600 games and i wanna be at 250 by the end of the year. I also wanna finish my parker bros collection by the end of the year.

in one large waste of money i bought out a online store and completed my goals for collecting for the 2600/5200/7800/400/800 ect... now all I do is play around. I might get into collecting PAL games because they are next to impossible to get in the US. or maybe I'll collect for carts where the writing is not in english. just a huge collection of non-english games!

500 carts. I'm at 441 right now.

I'm also looking to complete my Sears collection (2 more to go) and then try and get all of them boxed (33 to go).

Finally, I want to complete my boxed Activision collection. Four more to go there.

--Jason :)

Get all US commercially released games by the following companys.

20th Century Fox

Activision

Atari (And Sears)

Apollo

Avalon Hill

CBS

Data Age

Epyx

Imagic

Konami

Milton Bradley

Mattel

Parker Brothers

Sega

Sunrise

Tigervision

Except for the extremely rare games, I'd like to own them all by these companys. Doesn't matter if they're loose or not. Don't really care about label variations either. Already well on my way to my goals, but it will be a few years before I finish.

my goal.. to just get one freakin thing that CPU dosn't have  :razz:  :D

I was really happy when I found out I had something he didn't. But, I'm sure he has a few hundred things I don't... ;)

One of my collecting goals is to obtain every NTSC rarity 1-9 release for the 2600 as well as all of the instructions for those games. I only have 26 games to go and about 150 manuals. I'll move on to something else once this is feat is accomplished. (Colecovision :?: ) Biggest hurdles holding me back currently are malagai, the NTSC Bomb titles, out of control and river patrol.

I would someday like to have the best 2600 instructions collection (i collect variations but don't count them in my totals) but this is probably just wishful thinking.

I want everything. If it's interesting, I want it. If I like the look of it, I want it. I'm pretty easy to please like that! Of course "I want" includes all sorts of things I can't afford....

My finite goal is to get one of every publically released Atari cart, PAL and NTSC (i.e. excluding Beagle Bros etc. but including pirate carts). I want to get all the PAL ones boxed, as stuff like the Technovision and Video Gems carts and things are dead hard to get and very few people have them because the "heavy hitters" are mostly in the US so don't collect them. That's a long-term goal though.

In the meantime I just want every released Atari cart.. not asking much am I?

I am reading (and enjoying) this thread. Since I don't collect for the 2600, my knowledge of collecting for it is very limited. But I'm curious... with so many titles available to collect, what percentage of your collections are:

Complete (box, manual, cart)

Semi-Complete (box OR manual plus cart)

Loose

Are you willing to buy just loose games in order to complete your collection or do you try to have all the games in your collection as complete as possible? If you have a rare/uncommon loose cart already in your collection and see a complete one (or semi-complete), are you willing to pay the extra big $$$ to buy the more complete one?

Just curious.

Mendon

I collect the boxes passively, of course, but actively only on really unusual items.

It's just not practical to try and get all the boxes for the NTSC carts when you're not in North America - you have to draw the line somewhere. Hence Boxes only if cheap or unusual. That's just my personal method, of course.

My collecting goals? Well, I completed my goal when I got my replacement 2600 last year. Activision's Space Shuttle. I got it off ebay complete in box. That was the only cart/game I've wanted badly since my return to the Atari scene.

Now, I just leave my cart finding destiny to the thrifting gods.

Oh yeah be thou gods and shine upon thee! (hope the shameless bowing works)

(oh, and I did seek out AD&D and TRON for my Inty II. Had to have those)

My goals change.. First.. to replace all teh games that I had back in 83-85... than.. it was to get 100 games.. that I still play.. than it changed to 200.. now I am looking at completing certain company titles (since I play for fun... certain companys are OFF that list *cough*US Games*cough*.

My goals change.. but the most important thing is the fun of the games..I dont want something to dust so I can say "lookie at what I got".. games are to be played and enjoyed :D

I have a list of about 25 games that I am actively pursuing. Once those are obtained, I will most likely passively look to get whatever else my collection lacks. Mainly I just want all the games I had as a kid back, and maybe a few select others.

My ultimate goal is one of each original unique game, complete. Fortunately, that eliminates about half the 10's (for example, I can get Froggo's Karate instead of the Ultravision version). Unfortunately, that means I need a complete Air Raid which is never going to happen.

Since that goal is far far away, I like to set little goals along the way like completing one company's collection.

I don't know what the ultimate end is. I started collecting one of every cart-based NTSC system released, and I am almost there. Then I started on LD and CD systems. When I started collecting seriously for the 2600 though, that Halcyon stopped being quite as appealing :)

Goals for the 2600? Fully boxed collections of the following:

Atari CX-series of games (missing around 20)

Activision (complete)

CBS (complete)

Commavid (I dont care if its a repro :) Need a Stronghold box, wink wink)

Milton Bradley (need 1)

Avalon Hill (missing 2)

Tigervision (missing 3)

Sears (gatefolds and the 3 exclusives only)

Imagic (have not even started collecting but have a few)

Starpath (need the same ones everybody else needs :) )

Parker Brothers (about half way)

M-Network (about half way)

Others maybe on the horizon, but not likely anytime soon

Spectravision, Telesys, Sega (although I am close there too), Coleco

To me, the boxes give authority to the collection. They are displayed in a library format in my collection, and it adds credibility to them I think. People are blown away when they see them all together. I sequentially store/display them, however I have seen others group by box style, color, etc. What gets me are the wierd boxes like Kid Vid stuff. What do you do with those monsters?

Cassidy

I am reading (and enjoying) this thread. Since I don't collect for the 2600, my knowledge of collecting for it is very limited. But I'm curious... with so many titles available to collect, what percentage of your collections are:

Complete (box, manual, cart)

Semi-Complete (box OR manual plus cart)

Loose

Are you willing to buy just loose games in order to complete your collection or do you try to have all the games in your collection as complete as possible? If you have a rare/uncommon loose cart already in your collection and see a complete one (or semi-complete), are you willing to pay the extra big $$$ to buy the more complete one?

Just curious.

Mendon

Not sure how to calculate percentages but I do know that the majority of my 2600 collection is made up of loose games. 227 loose games to be accurate. I also have 27 boxed games.

I don't mind trading up from a loose copy to complete copies of certain games. It usually depends on the price though. Sometimes it's not worth the price. Other times, it is.

I typically only collect one box from every company but that is impossible in some cases. Anyone got a spare music machine or CBG box?

I have around 430 unique 2600 "games" but once you add sears and all the titles that were released by more than one company, I have around 480. I have 366 different instructions for unique games released by different companies, sears included.

On loose carts I think I'm between 85% and 90% complete.

On instructions I'm 73% complete.

I only have 30 or 40 boxes.

Oh, and I wanted to mention I have one set of instructions I don't own the game for: Texas Chansaw Massacre. Strange, isn't it?

OK - so here's a stupid question (or maybe just an observation).

For those who are bent on absolutely needing to get the Ultra rares it's simply not enough to be able to play the game, right? You have to actually have the original box, cartridge, etc.

In other words - taking the Malagai rom, burning it to a new cartridge and inserting it into your 2600 for some nostalgia fun isn't enough, right?

I'm just curious about the mind of a collector...

To me, the boxes give authority to the collection.  They are displayed in a library format in my collection, and it adds credibility to them I think.  People are blown away when they see them all together.  I sequentially store/display them, however I have seen others group by box style, color, etc.  What gets me are the wierd boxes like Kid Vid stuff.  What do you do with those monsters?

Cassidy

You put them on top. :D

ontop.jpg

OK - so here's a stupid question (or maybe just an observation).

For those who are bent on absolutely needing to get the Ultra rares it's simply not enough to be able to play the game, right?  You have to actually have the original box, cartridge, etc.  

In other words - taking the Malagai rom, burning it to a new cartridge and inserting it into your 2600 for some nostalgia fun isn't enough, right?

I'm just curious about the mind of a collector...

When it comes to the Ultra rare games (which to me are most of the 10s and a few 9s), I'm satisfied with reproduction carts of the games I actually enjoy playing. The rest I'll probably never own and have little interest in paying $500 to $4000 per game to own.

As far as collecting complete games, I will always go for a complete game over a loose one given a choice if the complete game is a reasonable price. I have somewhere around 200 complete games for the 2600 and about 650 carts overal (this includes label variations, PAL titles, pirate carts, homebrews, a few reproductions, and a handful of hacks). In the interest of saving space, I decided not to actively pursue boxed games for this system.

My goals for the 5200, 7800 and Intellivision were different, however. I wanted and obtained every 5200 title CIB, many NIB, and am now pursuing 1 more title loose to have a complete boxed collection and a complete loose collection. I'm still searching for a few 7800 titles in NTSC format loose, although passively to have a complete boxed 7800 collection, and am missing, but would like a bunch of boxes for the Intellivision, plus the game Thin Ice. Yes, I am a complete nut when it comes to collecting for the 5200 :D