IGNORED

Who here has a Heavy 6er?

ApolloBoy

HI  

Thanks Mindfield for the info, checked the joysticks 2 were as you described minus the metal caps.one problem with one stick  wont go left!!.   What about the paddles with the Sears unit,did they say Sears or Atari? Just want to get all the original stuff in one place . Thanks Ron

They say Sears on them.

I have an Atari which is not a Heavy sixer but is the later release made in ithink "Hong Kong" which has the 6 switches. I've never seen Heavy Sixer, even when I was a kid. Strange.

I'll just keep my eyes open and see what I come across at garage(garbage) sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc.

They're worth the search. If I can say one thing about my sixer, aside from it being a sexy, sexy beast, it's that the picture quality is outstanding, particularily when used with an RCA-to-Coax adapter to plug directly into the cable input. Vibrant, crystal clear color without a speck of RF interference, just how it ought to be. :-)

• 1 month later...

Just got mine today at a flea market for 75 bucks. It isnt all original though, It came with two very bright and working joysticks, a set of paddles, a four switch box, power supply and a rf.

Im interested in completing the package with original parts if anyone could help.

The console is so beautiful. I never seen one like it before though I thought I had. I am appling my third coat of armor all now.

Very gently of course,,,, and it is now my new love in my collection.

is there any way to tell by serial numbers, the date of manufacture???

Like month and day? That would be interesting.

Anyway, It is a great item. The heavy sixer. and much more sexy

than any 5200 i ever seen. IMO.

Oh yeah Is there any way to restore the orange pait stipe that goes around the face of the unit???

Oh well,,,

Just thought Id share my story. :P

I've got two, one Atari & one Sears. The Sears unit I picked up on eBay this past summer. It's in great shape, looks hardly used. It came with all the paper work, and the box was in good shape with some minor wear. I watched the auction till the end and saw it didn't get any bids. I offered the guy the opening price of $100 and he took it.

My Atari unit is my own. It has seen better days (I played the hell out it back then!), but after 25 + years it still works!! I remember that Christmas well. My dad wouldn't by us any video system until "they make one that you can change the game you want to play". When I found out about Atari and the fact that it came with Combat (my dad's favorite video/arcade game) well it was a shoe in present for that year!!

- Sal

I have a Sears heavy sixer (Sunnyvale) and also an Atari six switcher that was made in Hong Kong(I believe),has the heavy RF shielding,but the later style squary corners instead of the rounded(sunnyvale style) corners.Also has the yellow border around the control panel instead of the orange one.Could this one be like that from factory?,since it has parts from the "early" six switcher and "late" six switcher all together. :? :? :?

I seem to have 2 heavy sixers, both working, one beautifully, the other (see "2600 atari consol thread") has bad sound. One is a sears Telegame the other Atari.

I just got the funky sound one and all of those controlers and games for $25... heh.

• 2 weeks later...

just got a fitted dust cover for my 6 switch vcs and one of those game holders that when you press the button on top it spits the game out. Ive seen them in the catologs but i cannot fit a book in the last slot what the hell is it used for anyway.

I got my Atari heavy 6er at this one fleamarket for like 5 bucks or something...works everythings fine no frayed cords or anything :) I used it as my main 2600 until it pissed me off by shredding part of my Solaris game's label. Apparently the slot was too small for it!

Im currently looking for any original accs. that came with the heavy VCS.

The box and cardboard insert,paperwork,like manuals, and possibly controllers if I can afford it.

I bought mine complete but not completly original. would like to peice it all together. Ser# not matching doesnt really concern me much.

• 3 weeks later...
Arrgh why did foxglove turn her atari into a MUSIC BOX of all things  

WHY A MUSIC BOX!!!  lol

Well to be fair the person who gave it to me told me it didn't work, but I never actually tested it to see why. :P

I'm a musician and also like to dabble in circuit-bending so I couldn't think of anything better to work with than an Atari 2600. But from what everyone says here it's not even a heavy 6'er. I thought for sure it was with all the metal and weight inside but the side plastic trims don't match the photos posted here.

I originally was going to program a 2600 music program several years ago, and I had all my schematics all set up and started learned how to program and something like 4 months later Paul Slocum releases his SynthCart, so I gave up on the project.

I just have a regular sixer, recently purchased from ebay, though I don't recall one that had the joystick ports so low in the back like mine.

Anyway, I think Foxglove's musical mod of his 2600 was interesting. It could almost pass for an actual peripheral to the unsuspecting eye.