IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

• 1 month later...

Recently, my CC2 menu has begun to shimmer/shake about half the time it is booted up. You can still read the menu well enough to select a game, but obviously something is wrong. When I select and load a game, the game looks and runs fine.

Before that, I had to move the 7800 and removed the CC2 from the console for the first time in perhaps a couple of years.

Not sure if the CC2 or the 7800's PSU is going south. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Recently, my CC2 menu has begun to shimmer/shake about half the time it is booted up. You can still read the menu well enough to select a game, but obviously something is wrong. When I select and load a game, the game looks and runs fine.

Before that, I had to move the 7800 and removed the CC2 from the console for the first time in perhaps a couple of years.

Not sure if the CC2 or the 7800's PSU is going south. Anyone else encounter this problem?

I don't own a CC2 myself, but are you stilling using RF and if so, is it connected to a CRT or modern display? I don't have screen shakes too much with Atari systems, but ever single Intellivision I've used or had come to me for service work, shakes on my Sony flat panel through RF whereas the Samsung I had before that didn't.

I don't own a CC2 myself, but are you stilling using RF and if so, is it connected to a CRT or modern display? I don't have screen shakes too much with Atari systems, but ever single Intellivision I've used or had come to me for service work, shakes on my Sony flat panel through RF whereas the Samsung I had before that didn't.

I am using an S-Video modded 7800, although the shimmying happened while using composite (quick testing). I'll have to test with S-Video on a CRT too.

Hmm..was just thinking if it was something like odd scan line count or something on the menu screen for the CC2.

Your posts got me thinking that perhaps the problem had to do with the LCD TV's inability to sync correctly over composite.

So I dragged out the PVM, and everything worked fine with S-Video and composite. I'd forgotten how great this modded 7800 looks on a PVM with S-Video.

When I tried to connect back to the LCD TV with composite after that, I got the shimmying again.

Problem solved, it seems. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Yeah, I know it's been awhile for any CC2 discussion...  And this isn't a big deal, just was playing with my CC2 again recently.

I had primarily been using one full size MMC card, but I also had an RS-MMC I had around as a backup (128M SanDisk).  Now, I am 99% sure that card used to work on the CC2.

I think I used to swap cards.  In that, if I added a new game, I added it to the card that wasn't plugged into the CC2, then swapped.

If it worked, I synced the files (robocopy from a dir on my PC) to the other card.  It's been awhile, but I am pretty sure I used to do that.

Anyway, recently I was adding demos to the CC2, mostly on the card that was in there, when I saw the RS-MMC card.

Figured it was time to resync it, as it was probably pretty out of date.

It had CC2 files on it, and is even named CC2.  ;-)

So, I synced it, placed it in the CC2 and...  menu is showing garbage.  Hmmm.. 

The CC2 screen shows up, and all the program/control stuff is right, but the center of the screen where the game names should be...  Garbage.

Hmmm..  Deleted everything, resynced.  Same thing (tho I think it was different garbage).

Weird.  OK, Reformat (I know you aren't supposed to do that with a memory card) re copy all the files again.

Garbage.

Hmmm...

Thinking it is the menus (.CC2) files that are messed up, I placed the card in my PC and regenerated all the menus.  Tried again, garbage...

So, I am thinking, that was my backup MMC card. ;-(  Check e-bay and there are some options, but I'm not sure how much I trust them.

Then I go thru my stuff and I find another RS-MMC card!!  (64M)

It's empty (really?  I never put anything on it?  Wow...), so I copy the files over to that one, and it works!!!

So, I again have a backup (whew), and I apparently have a Sandisk 128M RS-MMC card that works in Windows, but not on my CC2 (and I could swear it used to work).

I ran a diskcheck on it in Windows, and it thinks it is fine.

I even tried deleting everything and recopying it on my old laptop (thinking maybe the card reader on my PC didn't like the old MMC card), but nope.

Same garbage.

But now I am thinking I might want to pick up another MMC card or two to have more backups...  ;-)

40 minutes ago, desiv said:

Yeah, I know it's been awhile for any CC2 discussion...  And this isn't a big deal, just was playing with my CC2 again recently.

I had primarily been using one full size MMC card, but I also had an RS-MMC I had around as a backup (128M SanDisk).  Now, I am 99% sure that card used to work on the CC2.

I think I used to swap cards.  In that, if I added a new game, I added it to the card that wasn't plugged into the CC2, then swapped.

If it worked, I synced the files (robocopy from a dir on my PC) to the other card.  It's been awhile, but I am pretty sure I used to do that.

Anyway, recently I was adding demos to the CC2, mostly on the card that was in there, when I saw the RS-MMC card.

Figured it was time to resync it, as it was probably pretty out of date.

It had CC2 files on it, and is even named CC2.  ;-)

So, I synced it, placed it in the CC2 and...  menu is showing garbage.  Hmmm.. 

The CC2 screen shows up, and all the program/control stuff is right, but the center of the screen where the game names should be...  Garbage.

Hmmm..  Deleted everything, resynced.  Same thing (tho I think it was different garbage).

Weird.  OK, Reformat (I know you aren't supposed to do that with a memory card) re copy all the files again.

Garbage.

Hmmm...

Thinking it is the menus (.CC2) files that are messed up, I placed the card in my PC and regenerated all the menus.  Tried again, garbage...

So, I am thinking, that was my backup MMC card. ;-(  Check e-bay and there are some options, but I'm not sure how much I trust them.

Then I go thru my stuff and I find another RS-MMC card!!  (64M)

It's empty (really?  I never put anything on it?  Wow...), so I copy the files over to that one, and it works!!!

So, I again have a backup (whew), and I apparently have a Sandisk 128M RS-MMC card that works in Windows, but not on my CC2 (and I could swear it used to work).

I ran a diskcheck on it in Windows, and it thinks it is fine.

I even tried deleting everything and recopying it on my old laptop (thinking maybe the card reader on my PC didn't like the old MMC card), but nope.

Same garbage.

But now I am thinking I might want to pick up another MMC card or two to have more backups...  ;-)

Another option that is much easier...is to swap out the MMC reader with a standard SD card reader. I've done this to two other CC2s in the past and Bob did it with his personal one. The pinouts are basically the same and no modification other than swapping out the chip reader socket is needed. It does have one disadvantage in that the new SD slot reader will stick out of the CC2 on the top of the cart since they end up being longer when installed vs the original MMC slot.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just had one of those (OMG, Work is crazy! What am I doing here?  Aaaarrghh!!!) moments, and looked up at my 7800..

There is the unassuming Cuttle Cart 2 plugged into it.  I've had this thing for a while...

I went to this thread and Chad started it on Jan 19, 2004...

So I went online (I REALLY needed a distraction right now!!!!) and plugged that in and:

Result: 6853 days

It is 6853 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 18 years, 9 months, 5 days excluding the end date.

Or 225 months, 5 days excluding the end date.

---

Wow!

And recently 1941 with Pokey is working...

That is a heck of a run for this incredible piece of tech...

Thanx Chad!!!!!

Now, is our issue at work fixed or am I still screaming?
OK, back to work; screaming it is...  Have a great day!

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1