IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

I'm pretty sure now that the MMC cards are to blame. I've been corresponding with Chad, and he's been gracious enough to help me troubleshoot this. He suggested formatting the MMC in a digital camera, and that kind of woke the Rio card out of its funk. Now it works intermittently, and I've been able to play some games. Weird though -- it will operate normally, and you cycle the power once, and it reports that MENU.CC2 is not found. Before it did that, it outputted a lot of ASCII gibberish. So I have to think that the MMC is failing. I've got a Sandisk RS-MMC and a SimpleTech regular MMC on the way. Fingers crossed.

Just to bring a little closure to this drama ... the new MMC cards worked like a charm. I guess MMC cards can just go bad. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of spares. I also bought a Sandisk MMC reader/writer to use with the new cards.

The CC2 is just an amazing invention. I'm glad I joined the bandwagon, even if seven years late.

I've got a Sandisk RS-MMC and a SimpleTech regular MMC on the way.

Just to bring a little closure to this drama ... the new MMC cards worked like a charm.

woohoo!

Just so I could get a backup:

Can you tell me/us where you got these cards?

And how big are they?

I can’t get my generic 128MB to work. It did read the MENU.CC2 once when I removed everything from the card except MENU.CC2 but it had a delay that I’ve never seen before. Of course I can’t play a game with it. Ugg.

I bought them off eBay. There's a seller who is selling 16MB Simpletech cards for $5 shipped (I got mine for $3 with best offer). I think the seller has over a hundred of these. These have no labels (they do in the photo), but it works like a charm. I think you can fit all 2600 and 7800 games on 16MB. I'm keeping this one as a backup and am using a 256MB Sandisk RS-MMC. I got it for about $7 shipped. Good luck!

I bought them off eBay. There's a seller who is selling 16MB Simpletech cards for $5 shipped (I got mine for $3 with best offer). I think the seller has over a hundred of these. These have no labels (they do in the photo), but it works like a charm. I think you can fit all 2600 and 7800 games on 16MB. I'm keeping this one as a backup and am using a 256MB Sandisk RS-MMC. I got it for about $7 shipped. Good luck!

Thank you! Wow it works with 256MB? I wonder if there is a limit to the MMC size the CC2 will take.

Do you think you will buy a Harmony 2 cart for ($100 or less)?

• 4 months later...

(UPDATE BELOW - Working)

Having a quirky issue with my CC2 and/or MMC card..

It's always worked for me, but I've been just using one long menu..

So, I decided to update to the 2.x multi-level menus...

The flash seemed to work fine..

The multi-level menus work...

And most of the games I've tried work, but...

When I went to try Commando, I get

MMC data error: 2E

Fatal Error. Cycle power to reset.

Then I tried another game and got that.

I've re-copied the bins.. Same BIN that worked hours before. Another copy of the same BIN form a different source. Same thing.

I noticed that most (all??) of the games that don't seem to be working have "SC" in the bank switching names.

I went to the CC2 download page and downloaded the SCNEW.ZIP file and overwrote the 2 files in there, but it didn't seem to matter.

I've replaced everything in startup and banking with the one from the CC2 download page (re-downloaded to make sure I had the versions from the page) and still the same thing...

I haven't tried going back to the 1.x flash yet (and a single menu), but that will probably be next if I can't find out what this is..

The weird part is that it's an MMC error, but on games I know worked on the same card before I flashed this thing...

Thoughts???

UPDATE: Got it working..

I just deleted the banking and startup directories and copied them back from my backup (pre-menu boot flash) and it's working.

Not sure what I might be missing by not having the updated files...

Interesting tho, I decided to try the Soft Cell demo, but it says I don't have 78POK512.BNK, which I don't.

But where is that? Not too worried about not having it, but I have no idea why it's missing??????

I'll check my original CD, but not sure how I would have missed it (it's not on the CC2 site either).

What else might I be missing.. Hmmm..

Thanx,

desiv

Edited by desiv

I'm pretty sure the only place to find that bankswitch file is here.

Thanx, got it. I'll test it out in a bit..

Makes me feel a bit better about not having it, as I was thinking I might be missing more if I was missing that one..

My theory now (which I have to test) is that possibly the scnew.zip files might have caused my issues.

But I have to try putting them back on to see, as I just did a wholesale replace of the banking and startup directories.

Hey, another question (now that I'm using this more).

When I launch KLAX, I get the 7800 logo, and then a black screen.. And that's it...

Any thoughts? It did this when I had the old single menu system and when I had the wrong banking/startup files, so I think it's more the ROM and/or my 7800. It's an NTSC 7800.

7800: Klax (proto) KLAX78 78SC_LOW 78BIOS

Also, Apple Snaffle demo doesn't run, but I'm thinking maybe that's a PAL demo???

7800: Apple Snaffle AppleSna 78SC_POK 78BIOS

I did get the SoftCell Demo to play, that's pretty neat.. ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

All my 7800 games are written so that there is only a single binary required for both NTSC and PAL so the problem is elsewhere.

Thanx, got it going..

I just had a really old BIN for some reason... (32k, compared to the 128k one I just grabbed from the thread)

(Old news for you but).. That's a great looking / playing game!!!!!!!

Thanx,

And I re-downloaded Klax and that works now.. So, that's a PICNIC error (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer). ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

It was actually around $200 new (a bit more if you bought early in it's life).

But still, they really gained in value...

I spent some time not using my setup (it was downstairs and the 7800 used RF, which was a bit more awkward) much and that's when the prices were going crazy.

But I held on to it...

Now that I'm back into this setup (composite modded my 7800 and now its upstairs), I'm glad...

I can totally understand selling, because that's a crazy markup, but this thing is just so great. ;-)

I'm even having fun adding new games to the menu system. (I'm trying to decide whether I need to give Bob's games their own menu or not.. ;-) )

Frankly, if I just dropped BINs onto the card and they "just worked," it wouldn't be as much fun. ;-) Anything involving a text editor is awesome.

desiv

Edited by desiv

I would have edited this into my other post, but there's a time limit to editing.. ;-)

Anyway, for no reason, I just felt like stating what I'm doing with my menu files.

I haven't given Bob his own menu (yet).. ;-) Still thinking about that..

But I have taken my menu of 7800 BINs and placed all (most, I forgot to move SoftCell) at the bottom of the list preceded by DEMO: instead of 7800:.

As for actual changes, I have copied my whole MMC card to a directory on my PC.

I actually do all my edits and adds/removes in that directory. I run the CC2Menu.exe app there also.

Then (as I don't want to copy everything over ever time) I just use robocopy to sync the directory to the MMC card.

I found another banking file I needed (and then I found it here, so I'm good) for Rescue on Fractalus. I wonder how many banking files there actually are out there.. ;-)

(Actually, there were 2, I found another one for something else.. 7832KR8K.. Although I can't remember what that one was for..)

I'm having fun "organizing" (if I can call it that) my 7800 BINs. Have to admit tho, I'll probably leave the 2600 games alone, at least for now. Just too many of them.. ;-)

And of course, while organizing, I have to stop and play the games, to make sure the menus work.. ;-)

desiv

When I went to try Commando, I get

MMC data error: 2E

Fatal Error. Cycle power to reset.

OK, curiouser and curiouser...

Has anyone ever seen these MMC data errors????

I ask because I tried to add Bentley Bear..

MMC data error... (I think it was a different number tho)..

As I think the last time I had this error, it was related to the startup or banking files, I check and Bentley uses the same banking file as Crossbow.

So, I try that and... MMC error...

But, I go back into Commando and it's still fine...

Does this thing not like my MMC card? It can't just be the card, as I had problems with Commando, and then replacing files got it working, but apparently broke Crossbow. Thoughts?

I am perplexed...

How many people are using 2.x and multi-level menus?? Considering flashing back, as I don't remember (might not have tested everything before tho) problems when I had that...

Thanx,

desiv

• 10 months later...

Correct HammR25 - Id alos say that demand today is prob less than 100 at the $200 price point.

The potential that the H2 has it would not make sense for Chad to produce more CC2's. They were great when released but there a few shortcomings which make it a bit of a pain to use.

Correct HammR25 - Id alos say that demand today is prob less than 100 at the $200 price point.

The potential that the H2 has it would not make sense for Chad to produce more CC2's. They were great when released but there a few shortcomings which make it a bit of a pain to use.

But the H2 isn't out. I'm looking at threads going back to 2010 or earlier about its impending release and its still not out. There's an intent out there but no product so it's vaporware at this point and shouldn't curtail a re-release of the CC2 or AtariMax taking pity on the 7800 scene and releasing their own version.

Anything's better than enthusiasts forking out $500 for a used CC2.

And I'd argue the retro scene for the 7800 has expanded today with all of the enthusiasm being generated by retro gaming vids on YouTube being so popular now in comparison to ten years ago. There's people like me that missed the HSC release, the CC2 release, the XBoard release, etc and are now anxious to play catch-up. And it's annoying that there's 2 vids on YouTube currently with the posters owning HSCs and CC2s and either not using them or asking what they are...