IGNORED

Another Battlesphere Post

Mendon

There have been a lot of threads and such about Battlesphere and how many, many consider it the BEST game for the Jag. Some of the recent threads have dealt with how expensive it has become and predict that it will become even more costly.

With all that in mind, I'm curious: does the fact that the game is becoming more valuable/costly as a collection piece (not saying its not a GREAT game, just saying that I believe a lot of the asking price is based on the rarity of it) make you less inclined to actually play the game? I mean, do you play it (and the demo CD's, read the manual, etc) less for fear of causing some sort of damage that might decrease its resale value, such as putting wrinkles/creases in the manual or denting the box? Or the fact that the cartridge itself might become damaged and it will be hard to replace?

This all might seem like a dumb question but I was talking to a guy in another state a couple nights ago and he has the game and keeps it in a home fire-proof safe (along with his important papers) and never touches it because he considers it so "valuable and almost irreplacable". Me, I have it on the shelf with my other games and play it whenever the mood strikes me; never think about resale values.

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Mendon

There have been a lot of threads and such about Battlesphere and how many, many consider it the BEST game for the Jag. Some of the recent threads have dealt with how expensive it has become and predict that it will become even more costly.

With all that in mind, I'm curious: does the fact that the game is becoming more valuable/costly as a collection piece (not saying its not a GREAT game, just saying that I believe a lot of the asking price is based on the rarity of it) make you less inclined to actually play the game? I mean, do you play it (and the demo CD's, read the manual, etc) less for fear of causing some sort of damage that might decrease its resale value, such as putting wrinkles/creases in the manual or denting the box? Or the fact that the cartridge itself might become damaged and it will be hard to replace?

This all might seem like a dumb question but I was talking to a guy in another state a couple nights ago and he has the game and keeps it in a home fire-proof safe (along with his important papers) and never touches it because he considers it so "valuable and almost irreplacable". Me, I have it on the shelf with my other games and play it whenever the mood strikes me; never think about resale values.

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Mendon

Actually Mendon, I think that's an excellent question. We were just talking about it over at TAEX. I don't play mine any "less" per se, but I am extremely careful with the cart when I do. As far as the manual and CD's go, I really have no use for them anymore so they stay put. :)

Mine gets played like any other game. With all my games I put the box and manuals away in a box and leave the carts out to be played. But I feel that anyone who buys the game at the current price will be disappointed. Whenever I pay more for a game I seem to expect more out of it. I've had more fun playing stupid games I buy for like 3 bucks for the genesis then I have on the latest expensive jag games I have bought. I'm all about the fun-to-cost factor. Having something rare is only cool to the people that care. Most of my friends and family wonder why I even have a jaguar or even bothered paying so much for battlesphere. Most think anything other then a PS2 is a waste of time (number one reason I don't own a PS2).

There have been a lot of threads and such about Battlesphere and how many, many consider it the BEST game for the Jag.

This sentiment should always be qualified as "best MULTIPLAYER Jag game".

I've found the singleplayer to be... meh.

You gotta wonder about a space combat game that doesn't even bother telling you the range to target. Even the dinky little 8K original Star Raiders cart managed that.

I didn't manage to get one while they were in print, and I can't see myself paying $350 for one on eBay. I would treat it like a regular cart. I don't buy games for collectability, I buy them because the game idea appeals to me, and I think it would be something I would get a lot of play out of. And I don't need BattleSphere Gold, I wouldn't mind the original BattleSphere. Unless a deal gets cut so that the game can go into reproduction like Aircars, I will never be able to afford one.

I finally got to play BattleSphere at the Austin Game Expo. I really hate to admit this, but the idea did cross my mind to just grab the cart out of the Jag I was playing it on and take off out the door........ I never in a million years would have actually done it, but being totally honest, the thought had occured. Maybe at the next Expo, they can put them in Jag kiosks to take the temptation away from me, and more importantly, from those who really would take the game.

I finally got to play BattleSphere at the Austin Game Expo. I really hate to admit this, but the idea did cross my mind to just grab the cart out of the Jag I was playing it on and take off out the door........ I never in a million years would have actually done it, but being totally honest, the thought had occured. Maybe at the next Expo, they can put them in Jag kiosks to take the temptation away from me, and more importantly, from those who really would take the game.

LOL! That just game me a funny picture of you running out the door with a BSG cart. Sad thing is....you would probaley get away with it! LOL!!!

I always felt that BattleSphere was a very solid game. I wouldn't say the best game for the Jaguar but over all a good game. I played the game all the time and used the demo discs (Native kicks ass!).

I actually do own a fire safe that I keep my expensive Jaguar stuff in (along with important papers). When I had BSG I only kept the box and instructions in there.

I didn't manage to get one while they were in print, and I can't see myself paying $350 for one on eBay. I would treat it like a regular cart. I don't buy games for collectability, I buy them because the game idea appeals to me, and I think it would be something I would get a lot of play out of. And I don't need BattleSphere Gold, I wouldn't mind the original BattleSphere. Unless a deal gets cut so that the game can go into reproduction like Aircars, I will never be able to afford one.  

I kept my eye on those carts every moment I could spare, and when I personally wasn't watching them, I had another very trustworthy person watching them. You wouldn't have made it out the door alive. :D

I do know what you mean, though. Every time BS or BSG has been available, I simply haven't had the money to buy it. Couple that with refusing to pay more than what it costs directly from ScatoLOGIC, and I've resigned myself to never owning the game. My only hope for owning it is that Tbird suddenly discovers that I have been on the waiting list for the last batch in a couple of weeks when I will have the money. :(

Since AtariAge's relationship with Scatologic isn't the happiest, will you be doing a BattleSphere contest for AGE 2004? If not, we could get a bunch of AtariAgers to bring their copies of Aircars and have a network shoot-out. I've always heard that Aircars was fun in multiplayer. Which is good, because one player Aircars is boring as hell.

Since AtariAge's relationship with Scatologic isn't the happiest, will you be doing a BattleSphere contest for AGE 2004? If not, we could get a bunch of AtariAgers to bring their copies of Aircars and have a network shoot-out. I've always heard that Aircars was fun in multiplayer. Which is good, because one player Aircars is boring as hell.

I couldn't answer that for you, I won't be doing JagFest @ AGE this year, so that will depend on who runs it IF it's done at all. If someone steps up and does it, then great, but I think I'm done with running JagFest events.

That kind of sucks. I was really looking forward to a new AGE show. I hope that someone does it.  

So, why was it so difficult, and why wouldn't you want to do it again?

There will be another AGE show, don't worry about that. :) It just remains to be seen what will be done in the realm of Jagfest activity. I'm sure at minimum there will be some Jaguars setup and likely some Jaguar tournaments.

..Al

That kind of sucks. I was really looking forward to a new AGE show. I hope that someone does it.  

So, why was it so difficult, and why wouldn't you want to do it again?

Like Albert said, there definitely will be an AGE show, I just won't be running a "JagFest" event at it. Last year's JagFest @ AGE was quite time consuming for me and monopolized all of my time at AGE. I had a blast doing it, but I think this year my help will be needed with other parts of AGE. If someone wants to step up and organize it, I am definitely more than willing to support them and even help. I just can't do it alone. Any takers?

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I found it very interesting reading your opinions on how you treat the game considering its rarity and cost.

Maybe its just me but I was really blown away by the guy I mentioned who keeps his in a safe and never plays it. If I can't play it and enjoy it, I don't want it.

Thanks again!

Mendon

Aghhh....I play my Battlesphere just like any other Jag cart. Seriously, it's not like I'll be rich if I sell my BS cart. If I sold my BS cart on ebay, I probably wouldn't even get enough money to cover one months car payment. Battlesphere is worth more to me as a fun game to own and play.

Battlesphere is a great game, but I think AVP, Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier 1/2 and Cybermorph/Battlemorph are better. The thing Battlesphere has going for it is high replayability. Starlancer for the PC is a better space combat game and it has online multiplayer and can be had for $10.

I own Battlesphere and BSG now, and I pretty much agree with Major Havic. I treat them the same as any other cartridges, keep in mind though that I treat all my Jag stuff as rare collector's items; boxes safe on the shelf and cartridges in a holder, all kept dust free, but I use the games regularly. Replayability is a major factor for BS, along with the multiplayer if you have the means. But I do have other Jag games that I prefer. One more thing, StarLancer is on the DC too, and I think it can be played online as well still, with PC&DC users. :ponder:

....keep in mind though that I treat all my Jag stuff as rare collector's items; boxes safe on the shelf and cartridges in a holder, all kept dust free, but I use the games regularly.

You don't keep the cartridges in the boxes on your shelf, Gunstar? If not, what sort of holder do you use for the carts?

Mendon

Y'know, this really is an interesting question. I'm sort of a "playing collector," meaning that I'd never buy something I wasn't planning on getting some use out of. So, I played my $200 copy of BS a bit when I first got it.

I keep my carts separate from the boxes, in a couple of cardboard Tops timecard boxes (Being the Personnel Mgr at work has a few perks, I reckon) and I have put labels on most of the carts. By "labels" I mean one of those label making phaser-looking thingys that I affix to the top of the cart, so I can see what's what without having to pull them out.

Part of the problem I have is that due to the cost of the BS cart, I didn't want to risk putting a gummy label on it...y'know, in case I want to resell it someday. I have a few others I didn't label, partially out of laziness and partly due to possible reselling, so whenever I go to play a game that's not labelled, I seem to ALWAYS grab the BS cart by mistake. These carts are tightly packed in the holder, so there's a little SCRAPE sound...and I always wince.

I think I finally reached my point. Part of me wants to put the cart someplace safe, so I won't be yanking on it accidently. (Sounds like a personal problem, eh? :roll: ) But damn it, it's a game, and games are meant to be played. I didn't buy it to resell it, tho if I ever get all poor and desperate...hello eBay!

Still... (editorial mode engaged) no game should cost that much money. I only bought the one I did cuz...well, $200 is ACTUALLY a freakin' bargain for this game. I had to convince myself, bargain with myself that I COULD resell it someday if I needed to. Good investment, dude, can't pass it up...oh, and it's a good game, too.

I'm just happy we have places like Songbird and Sinister that put out games at REASONABLE prices. $160 for a new, current game...that's rediculous and rude... I don't care how long it took or how much trouble they had to go thru or if a charity is involved (tho that, at least, is a good thing)... it's still rediculous and rude.

(editorial mode disengaged)

:D

• 1 year later...
I'm just happy we have places like Songbird and Sinister that put out games at REASONABLE prices.  $160 for a new, current game...that's rediculous and rude... I don't care how long it took or how much trouble they had to go thru or if a charity is involved (tho that, at least, is a good thing)... it's still rediculous and rude.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, and this looked like as good a place as any to ask...

Why has Scatalogic never done another run of these? It's obvious there's still a market for another production run. Is it lack of carts? B&C and Songbird manage to still produce runs of cartridges so I can't for the life of me figure out why no one sees an opportunity here.

I was on the waiting list for the original but never got one, then shelved the Jag and forgot about it during the BSG reissue. I've resigned myself to paying through the nose but it's now rare to even see one pop up in eBay.

Anyone know what the deal is?