IGNORED

N64 Roms

Rocko

Or usenet. ;)

(Unfortunatly, thanks to the increasing number of morons, don't expect to find N64 stuff in the N64 groups. Try Xbox, there have been several complete N64 postings in the last few months there. :roll: {Sorry, this comment probably should be in the newsgroup thread. :P })

• 3 weeks later...

I remember using an N64 emulator about a year ago with Zelda and Mario and it ran fine. What's so bad about the emulators that are out there now?

I still have my N64 and a handful of carts (Zelda Gold Box) but there's no point in wasting a spot on my extension cord when I could emulate the thing. But now I can run Zelda on my GC so it's good all around.

Mike

I gave my stepbrother a Windows N64 emulator (don't remember which one, but it looked a lot like the one I used under Linux so it might have been mupen64) on the athlon 2400/geforce 3 box I built him at xmas, and I put Mario 64 on there and configured a gamepad to match the Gamecube I gave my niece at the same time.... and it plays flawlessly, as far as I can tell. Not too surprising really, since the n64 was "only" a ~100MHz machine and there's all kinds of high level translation and dynamic recompilation these emulators do now. I was going to give him a desktop full of games to play, but unfortunately in the hour or so I had to configure it, I couldn't get anything working nearly as well as Mario. In particular, Zelda kept crashing by saying I was using the wrong CPU emulation or something.

Not so good on my 933mhz mobile celeron laptop with intel onboard video though ;)

as previously mentioned, the N64 emulation scene will take quite some time before it will get up to your expected NES emulation quality.  Why not spend 30 bucks (at EB; can be found much cheaper on Ebay and thrift stores), and a few bucks on some nice quality titles....

I still have my N64, and I'll never sell it.

However, having a laptop that allows you to play N64 games whenever you want is a serious advantage. Also, it doesn't tie up the TV when your wife wants to watch something.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

my N64 emulators run beautifully on my AMD 2600+

and i also have a REAL n64 to compare to. The emulated version is crisper and in what seems better resloution.

as for getting roms, only kazzaa so far i have found ( i have about 3cd's or about 70 roms but thats about all i can find).

I am both an emulation freak and a REAL console freak

i think that both are necessary, and they both complement each other.

:)

I found a ton of N64 stuff on Japanese and Chinese websites, I even found one that had famicom,super famicom,megadrive,N64....well, you get the picture...some pretty cool roms!! I'd advise trying the words "Chinese N64 roms" or a similar combo in a good search engine. Another good place is Shareaza, a copy-cat of Kazaa (bonus: The "man" isn't watching them like they are Kazaa!!!)

hmmm...the grey area of roms....

can anyone shed some light on this subject?

i have a large mame rom collection and although i would like to update the roms to the latest versions, i am unable to find any sites. This didnt seem to be a problem about 2 years ago.

You basically have three options for reliably obtaining a complete MAME set (not that this really belongs under "N64 Roms", but similar techniques apply.) Realize, though, that a complete MAME set is something like 10GB nowadays. Therefore, I have to assume that you have at least a fast DSL or cable connection and a ton of free disk space.

(1) Wait till a day or two after a major version release of MAME and people will start posting torrents of complete sets. Grab them and fire up your friendly local bittorrent client. Wait a day or two for them to download.

(2) Look on sharereactor or jigle to find MAME sets on the ed2k network. Grab the ed2k links and paste them into your favorite ed2k program (like emule/xmule.) Wait about a week for them to download.

(3) Following major version releases, there's inevitably a flood of complete sets on several Usenet newsgroups, like (IIRC) alt.binaries.mame, alt.binaries.emulators.misc, and others. You will almost certainly need a premium (i.e. paid for) news feed to have any hope of completing it, and even so you'll need to check in several times a day to queue up the currently available files. This method takes about a MONTH and you have no way of verifying that what you download is good except for "unzip -t" or whatever the winzip equivalent is. I last did this about 2 years ago and would not consider doing it again!

There were MAME sets on Kazaa and the like when last I looked, but they seemed to often be mislabeled, old versions and/or have very few people sharing them, so they're virtually impossible to complete due to their size. And forget about obtaining anything resembling a complete set on the web, no matter what the site's come-on tells you... if you just want to play a single obscure game like Astro Invader or something you can probably acquire it (heh, wonder where the Stern collection from Jakks is... maybe it'll come out after the Taito collection....) but it's been years since I saw full sets available via HTTP.

hmmm. my current MAME collection is about 8 cd's and i have more than 2000 roms ( all the way up to mame 0.68)

I have found a good reliable place to get my necessary roms so that they are up to date. It will take me a couple of weeks to go sort the roms which i have and which i still need..fun fun :twisted:

Does any one know of any compatibility isssues of older romsets with newer versions of mame? I do not wish to have to get ALL the roms again, only the ones that have been released since then.

The problem is Nintendo could go postal on any site that offers any ROM for *any* Nintendo systems including the long dead NES.  So it's a good idea to discourage anyone from asking for Nintendo ROM here.

Same thing with Sony and Microsoft.

Much like Atari could do the same with a site that offers Atari roms for their long dead systems?

:roll:

Well the third party companies that are still active that had titles on the Atari could...yes...or the companies that bought companies that had titles on that console

Does any one know of any compatibility isssues of older romsets with newer versions of mame? I do not wish to have to get ALL the roms again, only the ones that have been released since then.

As long as your last complete set isn't too old, you should be able to find torrents of "MAME 0.xx to 0.xx update" with which you can incrementally upgrade your set to the current one. If not torrents, then there's definitely sets on ed2k - check sharereactor.

I was complete up to MAME 0.67 when last I looked, and downloaded a few update sets, but I'm afraid it's been long enough that the next time I give a crap I'll have to seek out a complete set.

The problem is Nintendo could go postal on any site that offers any ROM for *any* Nintendo systems including the long dead NES.  So it's a good idea to discourage anyone from asking for Nintendo ROM here.

Same thing with Sony and Microsoft.

Much like Atari could do the same with a site that offers Atari roms for their long dead systems?

:roll:

Well the third party companies that are still active that had titles on the Atari could...yes...or the companies that bought companies that had titles on that console

Active schmactive...Atari could just as well "go postal" if they chose to. The copyrights are still valid...even if the games are no longer being sold. Search for "Vic20" for an example of even orphan systems doing this. For Atari specifically...look at VGR's notes regarding the creation of "Indenture".

No, I think he was talking about third-party companies who released Atari games and then closed their doors without selling the assets off, had them seized by the IRS or the bank or whatever.

However, even then, *someone* owns the rights, though they probably don't actually know it. You won't see the US government suing a video game maker for breach of copyright (well, I guess now they sort of *are* in the video game business, but not for the 2600...) and no bank that I know of has ever sued someone for infringing a copyright they'd foreclosed.

hmmm. my current MAME collection is about 8 cd's and i have more than 2000 roms ( all the way up to mame 0.68)

I have found a good reliable place to get my necessary roms so that they are up to date. It will take me  a couple of weeks to go sort the roms which i have and which i still need..fun fun   :twisted:  

There are programs that can tell you what romsets and/or files your are missing in the sets that you do have, and even rename any that the mame team may have renamed over time.

But to be honest, it's almost easier just to start over again from scratch. Sometimes so many changes have been made it's extremely tedious to manually fix each one.

Yeah...especially since they will have problems with merged romsets if you have any of those. Floods appear with entire version sets periodically on newsgroups...so just stick to those. Or have Freeburn send you a full set (that'll save some time).

as previously mentioned, the N64 emulation scene will take quite some time before it will get up to your expected NES emulation quality.  Why not spend 30 bucks (at EB; can be found much cheaper on Ebay and thrift stores), and a few bucks on some nice quality titles....

I still have my N64, and I'll never sell it.

However, having a laptop that allows you to play N64 games whenever you want is a serious advantage. Also, it doesn't tie up the TV when your wife wants to watch something.

Mike

I think you are giving to much credit to the ability and compatibility of the current N64 emulators.