IGNORED

Best snes rpg is?.....what is the best rpg PS1 and earlier?

adams_ale

I only have a snes and 2600 these days and was thinking back on how I regret selling Chrono Trigger. At one point I sold all of my snes rpgs and I miss them all. :sad: What are your favorite snes or classic(Playstation 1 and earlier) rpg's? Hopefully you don't ever sell them like I did....

I've never owned a playstation but have thought recently about picking one up when my bills are under control. :ponder: :wink:

:D Favorite snes rpg's:

1)Chrono Trigger(multiple endings, best graphics, most fun)

2)Final Fantasy III(actually 6)(best music)

3)Lufia II(best ending of any snes rpg, great replay with 99 level dungeon)

4)Secret of Mana

5)Shadowrun(futuristic, dark rpg)

6)Final Fantasy II

7)Breath of Fire II

Have not played: Secret of Evermore, Earthbound, Y's, Dragon Warrior, Lufia I, Breath of Fire I.

Im not much of an RPG kinda guy but i liked these ones

is Warcraft 2 an RPG? (well either way i played the hell out of the Saturn version :D

Albert Odyssey: Legend Of Eldean (Saturn)

Miracle warrior (SMS)

Phantasy Star (SMS)

Phantasy Star 2 & 3 (Genesis)

Land Stalkers (genesis)

Super Mario RPG (SNES only need the box to make it complete)

Luner I & II (sega CD)

Defender of the Crown (Philips CD-i & NES)

For SNES: BoF I & II, Chrono Trigger, and I don't consider Zelda to be an rpg, but an adventure game like Super Metroid.

Super Famicon: Terranigma, greatest action rpg ever.

For psx I recommend Parasite Eve, Lunar and Lunar 2, Chrono Cross (even though it can get boring), and Breath of Fire 4, my favorite rpg ever.

(and I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck final fantasy.)

For SNES: BoF I & II, Chrono Trigger, and I don't consider Zelda to be an rpg, but an adventure game like Super Metroid.

For psx I recommend Parasite Eve, Lunar and Lunar 2, Chrono Cross (even though it can get boring), and Breath of Fire 4, my favorite rpg ever.

Yeah, I wasn't real sure whether or not to put Zelda on my list of rpg's either. :?: It really is more of an adventure game but it does have rpg characteristics such as it's weapon/defense leveling-up and it's story line. It's not considered an rpg basically because the leveling up is not done by how many experience points you have. No doubt, if it is to be considered an rpg it is the simplest. There should be no question as to it's fun and replayability though. ;) Lufia II is the hardest and most satisfying rpg I've ever played, but I have it at number 3 because it's just to damn hard!!!! I have been wanting to play Earthbound on the snes, Final Fantasy 7 on playstation, and there was an rpg on TG-16 cd that I can't recall, but wanted to play when it first came out(and still do).

oh, okay I guess that makes sense not to spoil the 2nd game. I went straight for Lufia 2 because my friend had told me that it was so great. He wasn't kidding! :D I've heard that Lufia is coming to the gameboy advance and I will be sure to pick it up when it comes out! :twisted: Hopefully, it's a new installment. :ponder:

oh, okay I guess that makes sense not to spoil the 2nd game.  I went straight for Lufia 2 because my friend had told me that it was so great.  He wasn't kidding! :D  I've heard that Lufia is coming to the gameboy advance and I will be sure to pick it up when it comes out! :twisted:  Hopefully, it's a new installment. :ponder:
There's already a couple on the GBC, and a few for the GBA I believe :ponder:

Are there any good RPG's for the SNES that aren't so damn Japanese? I can't stand all the cliche's and slow-paced storylines... I really don't like Square's stuff much at all.

I know about Shadowrun, and I'd love to give Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master a try (even though they're probably not as good as the PC versions). Is there anything else that would be worthwhile?

--Zero

meh, this is my area of expertise, just that 1)there's not enough threads for me to bust out my knowledge and 2)I'm usually not the first one to it when there are.

Let's go over what I think of your choices:

1.eighteen different endings, and I've seen them all. All those dual and tri techniques are very interesting, and all those optional side quests are fun, and don't feel like chores because it doesn't really force you to do them.

2.views already stated

3.Great graphics, and good battle engine, inside and out. Great way to use all those special techniques. Empty yet full story.

4.open-ended rpg. only thing was it let you get into areas that you just weren't ready for. Graphics ok.

5.not an rpg, but an adventure game

6.never played it, been meaning to though

7.stated

8.favorite rpg series ever. First game I was overwhelmed by the number of characters and how each seemed to have their own personality/attributes. 'tis a worthy succesor to the name

Yeah, I wasn't real sure whether or not to put Zelda on my list of rpg's either. :?: It really is more of an adventure game but it does have rpg characteristics such as it's weapon/defense leveling-up and it's story line.

New equipment is not levelling up.

And may I ask what storyline? My copy of Legend of Zelda never gets more complex than "Big pig kidnapped princess. Save her." Zelda 3 isn't much better, featuring a grand total of one major plot development(from save princess from wizard to save world from blue pig)..

It's not considered an rpg basically because the leveling up is not done by how many experience points you have.  

Because there is no levelling up.

If Zelda is an RPG, then so is Megaman X.

No doubt, if it is to be considered an rpg it is the simplest.

To see Zelda as an RPG, try Crystalis.

Hell, try Crystalis anyways. Great game.

Anyways...

Good RPGs...

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. SegaCD.

This is the game that sold a die-hard Nintendo fanboy(I was so cute as a kid, thinking hardware made the games...) on a Sega system. And for years it was literally the only Genesis game I owned. I love The Silver Star, but it really needs some polishing, IMO.

Tales of Destiny. PS1.

'Tis a rare RPG where the battle engine is a strong point, but ToD can hold up to action games in my opinion.

Valkyrie Profile. PS1.

Beautiful game. Not quite as fun in the fights as ToD, but the dungeon maps are a lot more fun, occasionally becoming light platformer fare(nothing particularly mind-blowing, but precision jumping is required).

Most insanely hard to find "good" ending ever, BTW.

Castlevania: Symphony of hte Night. Again with the PS1.

Yes, it's an RPG. And a fun one. ToD's battles are still more fun, though. :P

The NES/FamiCom Final Fantasies.

Yes, that's right. The PRE-SNES ones are the only ones to get my nomination. And screw FF7.

FF2j is my favorite in the series, dispite being much-hated by the majority.

Then FF1. The first is still one of the best.

Parasite Eve. MORE PS1? I need to look at some of the older stuff, but I'm out of my RPG phase...

Set in "the real world". Last week of December 1997, specifically. You're a cop in New York, and soon-to-be savior of the world. Don't worry about large parties, because only one person is invited to this one.

Idiotic gameplay(real-time motion, but not actions, in battle. incredibly ridiculous weapon customization system) sucks a little atmosphere out of a game that really relies on it's realism. But it's still damn fun. And despite my complaints about the weapon system, I do grudgingly admit to getting a certain degree of satisfaction from wasting monsters with a pistol that carries 200 poisoned explosive shotgun shells.

Parasite Eve 2 improves vastly on the gameplay realism, but the writing and atmosphere isn't on the same level. And it's RPG status is debatable.

That's all I can think of for now.

and I'd love to give Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master a try (even though they're probably not as good as the PC versions).
No, they're not :(

oh and just go down this list, I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.

Brandish and 7th saga are good, and tales of phantasia is a great rpg with an innovative battle system that combines turn-based with action rpgs

How is Final Fantasy Tactics? My favorite part of rpgs is leveling up and fighting. :) On Chrono Trigger I leveled all of my characters up to **(highest level) except for Magus. Legend of Zelda reminds me of an rpg because the story line is about saving not only the princess from harm but also the world and you are the only one who can help; also you have to collect orbs/crystals, whatever, just like Mystic Quest(terrible rpg). I remember the rpg I wanted to play on the Turbo-Grafx 16 cd now, it was called Y's. :ponder: :) I highly recommend that you try Shadowrun(on the snes), sigma. :thumbsup: Shadowrun is highly original and I love it's dark atmosphere.

Tactics: no idea, haven't played it, but popular opinion seems to be that it's excellent (but of course, you can't always go by popular opinion)

Leveling up is really easy in Chrono Trigger, if you find the right spots, and the enemies take a while to get old, unlike other rpgs.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but LoZ is an adventure game (except I think that maybe some of the later ones lean more toward action-rpg, not sure)

y's (on SNES) looked ok, but I couldn't get into it, I could just hardly play it at all.

Shadowrun: I'll try it if I find it, but later on, I already have a buttload of games that I need to finish (accumulated a big backlog lately).

I think earthbound is overrated, but that's just me. Don't go "how can you say that! blah blah blah," I shant be swayed, just like I don't like GTA and nothing you can say can make me like it.

I still greatly stress the fact that you should look for Terranigma and Tales of Phantasia, neither of which (to my knowledge) were released in the US. Terranigma; I don't know why, it's wonderful. ToP; it had stuff in it that you couldn't get away with back then, but probably could now. If you can't, PM me and I'll procure the roms for you.

I've got FF Tactics advance. Beautiful game. If you've ever played / liked Suikoden then you'll love this. It's got loads of character.

I really loved Xenogears (but it's only good for the one play)

Final Fantasy VII (at the time) and IX (though no-one else did, I thought it was magical)

The thing I like LEAST about RPGs is levelling up and fiddling with stats, I love the worlds and stories.

When you say Genny are you talking about the genesis or a girl? Shadowrun on the genesis is not nearly the game that it is on the snes. Most games that are made for both systems are very similar, but not in this case. Phantasy Star is a good choice for the genesis or any system for that matter from what I have heard from friends who have played it. :)