IGNORED

Best snes rpg is?.....what is the best rpg PS1 and earlier?

adams_ale

I know you are mostly asking about console RPG's, but some of the

classic computer-based RPG's are well worth a look, even if only on

an emulator. I highly recommend:

Alternate Reality: City/Dungeon (Atari 8-bit)

Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

The Bard's Tale (many systems)

Ultima 2-6 (many systems)

and so forth...

--The Eidolon

Would Harvest Moon(SNES) be considered an RPG, technically? That's the pigeon-hole I've always put it in, and so it would be my favorite, just ahead of Chrono Trigger . . .

Most US-produced RPGs (Ultima excepted) have just always felt to me like, well, rehashed D&D cliches . . . They usually don't have the story and motivation the imported console titles do . . . And has there been a good single-player RPG on PC that didn't rely on the obvious license? MMO stuff does not count, it's only as good as the people playing . . .

I didn't think about rpgs on the computer... :ponder: I'm sure I would love these rpg's but I have found that the games that I do have on the computer are harder "for me" to play than on the console as I have not become comfortable with the controls yet. I guess I could pick up a joystick to plug into the usb port. :ponder: :wink: I suppose Harvest Moon would be considered an rpg but I have heard that it is great!! I saw it on gameboy advance and it looked pretty cool. :D So many games to play, so little time(and money :P ). :) My only rpg playing system is the snes at the moment but I plan on getting other systems and their rpgs in time. :)

I didn't think about rpgs on the computer... :ponder: I'm sure I would love these rpg's but I have found that the games that I do have on the computer are harder "for me" to play than on the console as I have not become comfortable with the controls yet. I guess I could pick up a joystick to plug into the usb port. :ponder: :wink: I suppose Harvest Moon would be considered an rpg, but regardless, I have heard that it is great!! I saw it on gameboy advance and it looked pretty cool. :D So many games to play, so little time(and money :P ). :) My only rpg playing system is the snes at the moment but I plan on getting other systems and their rpgs in time. :)

I just thought of Actraiser on the snes! :D That is a great game!! The music is great and it has part action and part simulation. I don't know what the actual interpretations of and rpg are beyond the name: role-playing game. Can a simulation be considered a type of rpg? Or is it just in it's own category?

An rpg is a game told through a story via dialouge and battles are fought through simple choices. Basically your going through an action/fantasy movie where you actually think about your next move (example: final fantasy (ugh))

An action rpg is a rpg that where the battles are the same as an action game (example: terranigma, the greatest of all)

A strategy game is a simulation of how a general would view a war, with no story other than the battles themselves and no leveling up. (example: starcraft series, age of empire)

A startegy rpg is a rpg with strategy elements (example: tenchi muyo! game hen)

That's how I would describe it to an outsider.

Oh, just saw you said simulation. Simulations, well, simulates something, from running a country (civilization) to flying a plane (crimson skies)

An rpg is a game told through a story via dialouge and battles are fought through simple choices. Basically your going through an action/fantasy movie where you actually think about your next move (example: final fantasy (ugh))
I disagree. Some of my favorite RPGs have very minimal dialouge, and no real story(Tunnels of Doom on the 99/4a, for example).

Others have very complex battle engines, without being action RPGs(I'd be hard-pressed to call Star Ocean 2 an action RPG, much less Valkyrie Profile).

I look for a game system that allows the characters to grow in capability(strength, endurance, magic power, et cetera)through a means other than collectiong more items. By extension, this imples some sort of character stats, so they have a base to grow from. Basically leveling up(though I really think experience levels are kind of outdated and they ought to try something new every now and then, like FF2j did).

That's the main thing that seperates RPGs from other genres IMNSHO.

Tenchi Muyo! is a really minimalistic strategy RPG, BTW. Fun, though.

And some strategy games have stories.

:P

Fair enough.

I would describe it to that group as "You don't really care, do you?". And after recieving a noncommital response, with " I didn't think so. Never mind."

But that's just me. :)

I've got FF Tactics advance.  Beautiful game.  If you've ever played / liked Suikoden then you'll love this.  It's got loads of character.

I really loved Xenogears (but it's only good for the one play)

Final Fantasy VII (at the time) and IX (though no-one else did, I thought it was magical)

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I've got a bunch of PS1 RPGs: All of the Final Fantasy stuff that's been released, the big collector's sets by Working Designs and some Square stuff. My problem is starting one and finishing it! I like what I've played of Ogre Battle, Star Ocean and Legend of Dragoon. Front Misson 3 is one of my favorites.

If you like FF Tactics Advance, Ogre Battle 64 might be up your alley. Cool music, cool characters, lots of depth (not that I've beaten it yet).

On the Saturn, I'd definitely recommend:

Dragon Force: Nice story, lotsa different units and adorable sprites!

Albert Odyssey: Another cool story, cute characters -- and the ability to have a party with more than three members!

Blazing Heroes (also know as Mystaria the Realms of Lore): Don't remember a ton about this one, other than the characters are kinda wacky in a Japanese sorta way.

Panzer Dragoon Saga: One of the best games I've ever played. Action oriented (flying and shooting), great music, great story, tons of fun to level up your dragon. Can't find the link right now, but some guy took several years to go back and get perfect scores on all of the missions. :lust:

Oooooh.... and System Shock... that was some creepy stuff back in the day! :D

I don't think anyone has mentioned Drakken for the SNES.  While others may not like it, I found it to be an interesting game and played it a fair amount once upon a time...

I have Drakken, but it never get's played. If you would like it or anyone else it is free. Shipping would be 1.50. I'm pretty sure that it was the first rpg on the snes and one of the first games at all on the system(it shows).

:roll: knew I couldn't get rid of it..... :P

:P

Fair enough.

I would describe it to that group as "You don't really care, do you?". And after recieving a noncommital response, with " I didn't think so. Never mind."

But that's just me. :)

The whole problem with this subject is with all the genre merging. No one knows how to describe a game anymore. We used to have set genres and that was it, end of story. *sigh*