IGNORED

Donkey Kong:Which system has the best port?

JagWarlord

I'm getting mixed answers now. I might as well buy th e CV version and compare the two :D

Just try them emulated and see. The CV version is choppy as all get out.

I haven't tried the Atari version, but my CV version on my Adam doesn't seem choppy... Problem with the emulator maybe???

I just wish it had all the screens....

I kept playing thinking that the 4th screen must be coming up soon!!! ;-)

But for me, not choppy at all...

desiv

Although it doesn't *look* as authentic, the Atari 8-Bit version plays the best and has all four screens.

I think the TI-99 4/a comes in a close second, due to less responsive controls, but not by much.

Of course, the best home version is the one in Donkey Kong 64 (the original arcade), but that's not really a *port*, it's emulated AFAIK.

I really like the 8-bit version. The graphics could be a bit better, but the Colecovision is too slow for me. I even like the 8-bit version over the 78oo one; although, the graphics seem better in the 7800 one. I would assume the Commodore 64 has a nice version (it always seem to have a good port of classic games). I'm also not joking here, but the CoCo had Donkey King on disk (I don't have it, but I have played it) and it was really great as far as I remember.

i dont think any console version of donkey kong did the arcade version justice. maybe some computer ports did a better job, but even the graphically accurate NES version is missing the "how high can you go" and the "pie factory" stage.

and while INTV donkey kong is pure garbage, Imagic's Beauty and the Beast is golden :)

The Atari 400/800 version gets my vote.  The Colecovision version isn't bad, but there's something just "off" about it.

The Intellivision gets my vote for the worst version.  Bad graphics, bad gameplay, and terrible controls.  Ugh!

Tempest

The CV 1st level is displayed with DK on the wrong side, I guess to fit into that resolution/aspect ration. The TI99 is the only version with "how high can you get" IIRC.

The TI99 is the only version with "how high can you get" IIRC.

:?

The Atari 8-bit had that included. It even has the opening sequence where DK climbs to the top and knocks down the girders.

Aside from the first level where DK is on the opposite side from the arcade, the Atari 8-bit version is as complete and as perfect as can be.

As someone who is a certified Donkey Kong FANATIC (I play the damn game constantly) this is my choice.

1. N64 DK hidden game. It aint perfect however, and it's a pain to unlock. But it was the best at that point. Prior to that, it was;

2. Atari 400/800 DK. Has all the stages, But of course had gameplay all it's own.

But in the end, chrisbid is right. For such an old game it's funny how hardly any dedicated modern console version of donkey kong did the arcade version justice. To me, the NES version was ultimately dissapointing because you just KNOW they COULD have made it so much closer to the arcade game... they just got lazy :sad:

No, in this modern day and age, for the best home console port of Donkey Kong, you gotta go with... yep, Mame. And since consoles starting with the dreamcast (and shown below on the Xbox.. and I'm sure many future consoles will have this ability) with a little simple fiddling can now run it, it's the only way to go if you want 100% arcade perfection. You can choose the U.S. or Japanese version which makes a pretty big difference in your experience. The gameplay of course is 100% accurate with all your patterns and timing of the arcade game intact. I mean here it is below, quickly hooked up onto my now famous p.o.s. computer room tv :)

I like the first one with it stretched to fit the tv screen.. I make believe it's some awesome cool hyper version of the Colecovision or Atari 8-bit ports. The 2nd pic is with the correct aspect ratio... which is how I'd imagine official compilations would make you play it (like the N64 version does). :thumbsdown: I personally like the full screen.

Not official of course... but damn is it schweet :D

post-31-1075190558_thumb.jpg

post-31-1075190559_thumb.jpg

I like the Game Boy Color version.. I count it because it does have all four levels. THen it goes from there. But the best overall one is the one in DK64 as someone said. The whole Arcade game AFAIK.

The (Super) Game Boy version really shouldn't count. Not because it has more levels, but because the added moves that Mario can use right from the start radically alter the gameplay to the point where it's just not the same. That being said, it's probably my favorite version after the original arcade. It's just not a proper port.

And I wouldn't count MAME either, for the same reasons I stated against DK64. If it's emulated it's the original game. The whole point of comparing ports is to see how each development team / programmer got the game to run on different hardware. An emulated game is, by it's very nature, a carbon copy of the original. So saying that the MAME version is the best port is like saying the arcade version is the best port.

No, in this modern day and age, for the best home console port of Donkey Kong, you gotta go with... yep, Mame...  it's the only way to go if you want 100% arcade perfection.

I haven't messed with any new versions of Mame for several months... have they got the sound working without samples? the low quality samples have always been a frustration for me, although I too think this is the best version available. Maybe if samples were taken directly from the N64 version, it might be better? (I haven't ever played this, so I really don't know.)

Also, does anyone know if there is a Dreamcast emulator that runs Donkey Kong faithfully?

The (Super) Game Boy version really shouldn't count. Not because it has more levels, but because the added moves that Mario can use right from the start radically alter the gameplay to the point where it's just not the same. That being said, it's probably my favorite version after the original arcade.

This game is one of my all-time favorites. When I first played it on a Super Gameboy (upon initial release), I thought that it was just another lousy port, not unlike the NES version... and so I didn't give it much chance. When gameboy emulators started implementing the extra color graphics of the Super Gameboy, I tried the game again and played it after the graveyard shift at work till I beat it (it took three mornings... about 3 hours a piece). I don't yet own this one, but the game alone is worth owning a Super Gameboy for. I will own the cart soon - just give me time. :-)

(am I a blabbermouth tonight or what?)