IGNORED

Donkey Kong:Which system has the best port?

JagWarlord

And I wouldn't count MAME either, for the same reasons I stated against DK64.  If it's emulated it's the original game.  The whole point of comparing ports is to see how each development team / programmer got the game to run on different hardware.  An emulated game is, by it's very nature, a carbon copy of the original.  So saying that the MAME version is the best port is like saying the arcade version is the best port.

Yes I'm aware of that Rhindle ;) Hence why I posted my choice of 8-bit DK (in addition to N64 DK..which by the way I don't think is fully emulated, but we've had this discussion before). It's also why I said I "make believe" when playing the mame-x vers. that it's some hyper version of the older ports :)

I just wanted to convey my joy at the emu'd version being so accessible on a console. But yeah, technically and officially... the best port? I'd have to say Atari 8-bit :) But dang.. it's hard to discount Console Mame (i.e. emu'd arcade) in this day and age

The TI99 is the only version with "how high can you get" IIRC.

Actually, the TI version lacks the "how high can you get" intermissions. The Atari 8-bit version is the only one I'm aware of that includes it.

One other element the 8-bit version has that other versions lack is the "springs" that Kong throws on the elevator level.

I've never played the C64 version, but I'm curious...does it have all four boards, background music, Kong on the correct side on board 1, "how high can you get" intermission screens, animation screens, and "springs" on the elevator level?

I haven't tried the Atari version, but my CV version on my Adam doesn't seem choppy...  Problem with the emulator maybe???

I've played it on real CV's and Adams before. It's the same choppy ladder climb and same choppy barrel rolls as the emulators.

I'm playing it right now on my Adam, and I'm still not sure what you mean by "choppy". It plays fine. He climbs the ladder fine..

From my perspective, playing it now, it's not choppy...

desiv

(Are you possibly talking about the number of animated frames not being as high as you'd like?? For the time, it was awesome, and it's still fun now. And player control is fine. Great when I consider I'm using the sucky Coleco sticks.. :-) )

(Are you possibly talking about the number of animated frames not being as high as you'd like??

Probably what I call choppy you call lack of frames. But I notice how the barrels do not roll smoothly down the girders and Mario seems to "miss" spots on the ladders and his jump isn't very smooth either. Plus the lame hammer animation isn't much better than 2600 DK. Also there is no barrel "destruct" or Mario death animation, no "How high can you get?" no Donkey Kong intro...

The CV (and Adam) versions are severly lacking. If you want a near perfect port you'll see that the Atari 400/800 Donkey Kong has none of these problems.

Probably what I call choppy you call lack of frames. But I notice how the barrels do not roll smoothly down the girders and Mario seems to "miss" spots on the ladders and his jump isn't very smooth either. Plus the lame hammer animation isn't much better than 2600 DK. Also there is no barrel "destruct" or Mario death animation, no "How high can you get?" no Donkey Kong intro...

Eh, making me have to get my CV out to check this myself......

Any who.

I didn't notice any issue with mario missing spots on the ladders. Most of everything else, yeah, but not so much in my opinion that it would be noticable unless you're a DK fanatic.

On the other hand, your other points regarding the barrel destruct, mario death and so on (kong being on the wrong freaking side). MAJOR points that make it a pretty bad port. Atleast as far as arcade comparison.

It's still fun to play regardless, IMHO. :)

Also there is no barrel "destruct" or Mario death animation' date=' no "How high can you get?" no Donkey Kong intro...

The CV (and Adam) versions are severly lacking.[/quote']

Gregory, you've had people post twice already stating that's not true. The Adam version does have the "How high can you get?" as well as

intermission stuff, etc. The Adam version came on a data tape and was a larger version. Are you confusing that for the cartridge version which could be played on both (and is most likely what you're loading in an emulator?)

Gregory,  you've had people post twice already stating that's not true.  The Adam version does have the "How high can you get?" as well as

intermission stuff, etc.  The Adam version came on a data tape and was a larger version.   Are you confusing that for the cartridge version which could be played on both (and is most likely what you're loading in an emulator?)

Even less people have an Adam then have a Colecovision. So while it is the better version, that doesn't help any one much. :) :P

Gregory,  you've had people post twice already stating that's not true.  The Adam version does have the "How high can you get?" as well as

intermission stuff, etc.  The Adam version came on a data tape and was a larger version.   Are you confusing that for the cartridge version which could be played on both (and is most likely what you're loading in an emulator?)

Even less people have an Adam then have a Colecovision. So while it is the better version, that doesn't help any one much. :) :P

I have *two* ADAMs, but no Donkey Kong. :(

However, I have plenty of copies of Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom. :roll:

Gregory,  you've had people post twice already stating that's not true.  The Adam version does have the "How high can you get?" as well as intermission stuff, etc.  The Adam version came on a data tape and was a larger version.   Are you confusing that for the cartridge version which could be played on both (and is most likely what you're loading in an emulator?)

Since I've never owned an Adam personally, of course. The ROM I have (which was renamed by GoodCV) claims to be the Adam version.

Still, if Coleco used the original code, I highly doubt that the smoothness I've been talking about since the beginning of the thread was addressed.

post-590-1075299736_thumb.jpg

I have *two* ADAMs, but no Donkey Kong. :(

However, I have plenty of copies of Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom. :roll:

I need a copy of Buck.... Got a spare?

Gregory,  you've had people post twice already stating that's not true.  The Adam version does have the "How high can you get?" as well as intermission stuff, etc.  The Adam version came on a data tape and was a larger version.   Are you confusing that for the cartridge version which could be played on both (and is most likely what you're loading in an emulator?)

Since I've never owned an Adam personally, of course. The ROM I have (which was renamed by GoodCV) claims to be the Adam version.

Still, if Coleco used the original code, I highly doubt that the smoothness I've been talking about since the beginning of the thread was addressed.

Nop, this 24KB version isn't the Adam version. In fact that's weird but there were two different DK versions for the CV: 16KB and 24KB. I know this because I opened a lot of DK carts last year. I played both versions and didn't see any difference. I still need to dump both and check the differences in program.

Eduardo Mello

No, in this modern day and age, for the best home console port of Donkey Kong, you gotta go with... yep, Mame...  it's the only way to go if you want 100% arcade perfection.

I haven't messed with any new versions of Mame for several months... have they got the sound working without samples?

No. They have not. Weird eh. Maybe they forgot about it :lol: Although I suppose I'd rather have semi accurate sounds using samples rather than emulated sound if it's going to be wrong. Not to say that the emulated sound if it's implemented in Donkey Kong would be wrong... but hey, look at Phoenix :P

the low quality samples have always been a frustration for me, although I too think this is the best version available.  

You know.. they aint that bad really! I've got Donkey Kong sounds engrained in my brain since childhood and also, luckily there's even a couple of arcades around here with the game, so I've played the arcade machine as early as a couple days ago, and the mame samples hit it pretty ok to my ears I guess. But one thing you might want to try is there's also of course "unnoficial" samples out there. Twisty's has some good ones.. I think they also have a Donkey Kong 'walking sound' fix there as well iirc. http://www.fraggersxtreme.com/samples/

Also, does anyone know if there is a Dreamcast emulator that runs Donkey Kong  faithfully?

I'm trying to remember if I ever got DK to run on MameD. I think I remember that it ran, but the screen cut off the screen, and there was no sound(?). I dunno.. it's been a while. :ponder:

The (Super) Game Boy version is one of my all-time favorites.

Ditto. the Gameboy version rocks! :D But I think of it as more a puzzle game than anything. Great game though. But when it's over, it's over.