IGNORED

Cool Old Skool RPG Features

I'm getting farther along on my Homestar Runner RPG for the 2600. I'd like to hear maybe the 2 or 3 features that you think made an old skool RPG extra good. Anything from simple interface concepts to specific magic powers. There are some big limitations on the Atari (mainly RAM and display related), and I may not be able to implement any of them, but I figure it's worth asking as I've only played a handful of games to completion (mostly the SSI AD&D stuff).

-paul

If I remember Phantasie (sp?) from the C-64 correctly, one of my favorite features was exploring the dungeons with false walls. You'd be looking for a way to get to the clue or item and wouldn't seem to be one, so you'd have to take a guess and start shoving anywhere you thought was right. Or if you consider Gauntlet an RPG (yeah I know, but it is a "dungeon crawler" at any rate) you can do the "trap door" style where stepping on one spot suddenly opens the path to the rest of the dungeon.

I would like to see the plain old fashion:

HP-Hit points (health)

MP-Magic points (to cast spells with)

AC-Armor Class (defense points)

I hate the new "Combining, Junctioning, Material-Inserting, Magic-Drawing" combo type systems that you have to mess withto play these games. I realize that the memory requirements for theses things would be more that the game could afford, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Oh yeah, that and a good plot or story to the game, that makes it more interesting and has you coming back to play and see what happens next.

Oh, and secrets!!! Hidden treasures, items, weapons, etc!

Ok, now I'm done!

Good luck! :)

Oh yeah' date=' that and a good plot or story to the game, that makes it more interesting and has you coming back to play and see what happens next.

Well, since the brothers Chaps are involved, I don't think we'll have to worry about the story not being good, or about a lack of secrets, for that matter. Not only that, there's a voice sample or two stuck in there, I'd bet on it.

Damn, I want that game so bad I can taste it.

Ability to equip one weapon, one armour, one shield, one helmet etc.

Magic for: light, removing traps, teleporting, healing, group and single enemy attacks, summoning NCP monsters, curing, possessing, improving AC, improving critical hit.

When fighting, the options to: fight, defend, hide, run, magic.

Having to find the place(s) on the map where you can level up.

When controlling a party, only having those at the front able to melee fight, and the ones at the back having to use magic. Of course the SSI AD&D games you played Paul completely rewrote this aspect by allowing everyone to melee and cast magic :D

So far almost all the ideas are things that are already high on my want-to-include list. That's good, cause it shows me I'm on the right track!

Speech: Not sure, it takes a lot of ROM space and we're already planning on including a lot of other things that take lots of space (like mini-games). But we'll see how much space is left when everything is in place.

And I should note that in this game there will not be parties -- you'll only get one character. It's just not possible with the RAM space and the fact that we're using a code based save system. But we're going to try to make the battle system so that party-like strategies are possible.

Something that was really important to me was having a decent sized world. I think you'll be surprised at how big it is considering the Atari's limitations.

-paul

I would like to see the plain old fashion:

HP-Hit points (health)

MP-Magic points (to cast spells with)

AC-Armor Class (defense points)

I hate the new "Combining, Junctioning, Material-Inserting, Magic-Drawing" combo type systems that you have to mess withto play these games.  

EXACTLY!!! I friggin hate all those combining crap. One thing I didn't like about Final Fantasy 3 was it was too easy to give everyone the same powers and magic.. to the point where you'd end up with a homoegenous party all replaceable by another. I much prefer where every character has DISTINCT powers and weaknesses. You know.. the simple, Mage/healer, Fighter, Thief, Caller, Black Magic user, etc. Keep it simple. Keep the characters unique so each has a part. (not that there's many characters in homestar runner anyway

Oh, and secrets!!!  Hidden treasures, items, weapons, etc!

Yes yes!! Secrets :D Cool little things to discover. Not too obscure though, but just enough to reward those who take the time to play the game and really explore or whatnot.

Things I like in a RPG:

- At least some non-linear play. REAL choices.

- Manual stats allocation vs only Random.

- Secret doors

- Cursed items you have trouble getting rid of once you pick them up :twisted:

- Having a few really large scale battles.

Things I hate:

- Enemies can attack diagonally or at any angle for missle attacks, but I am limited to vertical and horizontal. :P

- Fake choices! The game offers a choice, but if you choose one it makes you go back and choose the other. Grrrr! :x

- An endless stream of piddly battles that are no challenge because you are level 1000+ but those groups of 2 goblins or 1 large spider insist on fighting you every 2 feet. BORING!

a familiar theme in RPGs is the power of music. most games like zelda, dragon warrior, final fantasy etc have a musical item that will be crucial to the plot at some point. in the homestar runner world, the Cheat's 2 dollar casio has got to be a crucial item needed to open up a gate or kill a certain enemy at some point.

Ahhh, old school RPGs. So much of my youth was spent playing games like Ultima, Temple of Apshai, Dungeon Master, Alternate Reality, and so forth. Some facets that I enjoy:

- Stats system with obvious benefits to improving each stat.

- Large world to explore, with pretty much free reign to do so.

- Plenty of NPCs to converse with.

- Lots of side quests to explore, but not required to finish game.

- Turn-based combat

- Areas and items that require a bit of exploring to find (call them "hidden" or "secrets" if you must).

- Well-written story

- Large number of weapons, armour, and other items to find during your quest, so you can often upgrade your character

- Magic.

Thats a start, at any rate. :)

..Al

So far almost all the ideas are things that are already high on my want-to-include list.  That's good, cause it shows me I'm on the right track!

Speech:  Not sure, it takes a lot of ROM space and we're already planning on including a lot of other things that take lots of space (like mini-games).  But we'll see how much space is left when everything is in place.

I'm guessing the game is 32K? And mini-games, in a 2600 RPG?

Considering how I (who already own a 2600, of course, this one I have no longer works) will almost certainly buy another one just to play this game, and if they sell it on their site as well as here, it will probably boost the U. S. thrift store and flea market economy, as a bunch of people will also do the same . . .

Has anyone else ever made a killer app for a 26-year-old unsupported system? :)

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

The game is currently planned at 64k. The RPG itself should fit into 32k fine, but with the mini-games, I'm pretty sure we're going to need more than 32. As I think about it, I seriously doubt we're going to need more than 48k so a few voice samples might be feasible.

It'll be released in May.

-paul

A few more ideas:

Having dungeons a set square size (16x16 for example) and able to be plotable on graph paper. Have them wrappable as well (not all enclosed by walls) for added intrigue.

Darkness. Nothing like making life harder if you kill the light in a few sections.

Random battles, but not TOO often. Balanced enemies for the dungeons in question.

The need to discover certain bits of information in the dungeons and then use that to answer questions later on.

The choice of alignment as per the SSI games (good/neutral/chaos, lawful/neutral/evil) and how it may change your interaction with certain NPCs in the game. Hence a way to vary the plot and solution to the game ;)

And I should mention that while the game will support a code-based saving system, as an alternative it will support  this.

-paul

WOW. Cool! Is that a first? A 2600 cart with saving capabilities?

What about some magic weapons? Weapons only found in Secret areas, or available after defeating a ceratin part or creature.

And don't forget about wackey items. You know, like a health potion or magic potion with random effects..."you drink the potion, you gain 2 health" or "you drink the potion...your head increases 3 sizes making it impossible to stand upright, wait 2 rounds"