IGNORED

question as to the Nintendo Virtual Boy....worth 10 bucks?

adams_ale

There is a working and complete Nintendo Virtual Boy at the local pawn shop(Cash Converters) and it is priced at 10 dollars. I've never played this system before and was wondering if it is worth the 10 dollar price tag. I know it works because I looked through the eye piece and saw the red and black Nintendo screen. I do remember that this system didn't sell well because it caused eye strain. Is it worth it? I have good eyes and as long as it doesn't actually do harm to my eyes I'm thinking of getting it. I don't know. :ponder: :?:

I'd grab it for $10! You won't play it much but it's an interesting little system. There is a superb version of "Space Invaders" for the VirtualBoy. However, AFAIK, it was only released in Japan and thus pretty HTF.

I do remember that this system didn't sell well because it caused eye strain.

More like "because idiots refused to follow the instructions, failed to adjust demo kiosks, got headaches, and assumed it was the fault of the system and not their own idiocy."

A properly adjusted VB is a quite nice system.

Is it worth it?  I have good eyes and as long as it doesn't actually do harm to my eyes I'm thinking of getting it.  
Assuming it's properly aligned, yes.

A misaligned VB is one of the few ways it CAN cause problems.

They can be readily misaligned by dropping them, though tere IS a code built into the system for checking alignment.

More like "because idiots refused to follow the instructions, failed to adjust demo kiosks, got headaches, and assumed it was the fault of the system and not their own idiocy."

I definitely disagree with you here. The VB gives me headaches after only 15 minutes of gameplay. Even a properly adjusted system is still a strain on the eyes.

For $10.00 I definitely wouldn't pass it up. Even if you don't want it for yourself, you could use it as tradebait.

I definitely disagree with you here. The VB gives me headaches after only 15 minutes of gameplay. Even a properly adjusted system is still a strain on the eyes.

The final kick on mine was the brightness/depth controls.

A high brightness really bribngs out the system's one major flaw: 50Hz refresh.

And too high a depth of field just messes with your head.

No it's not worth $10. I would wait until it goes down to $7. You can save $3!

:roll:

my problem isn't the money. I think I stated clearly that I don't want to buy a system that is going to make me blind. :ponder:

ITS WORTH A LOT MORE THAN THAT! SEND HER TO ME, ILL GIVE YOU TWENTY! No its not gonna kill your eyes,I used to play it for hours striaght. It has a built it break time in case, it will pause the game and say you need to stop for so long.....BUT ITS NOT BAD AT ALL....

Staring at anything for too long will hurt your eyes.  The VB will not make you go blind.  It's definitely a worthwhile system.  If you end up not liking it, I may even buy it off you. :D

Prepare to fight for it! :throws off jedi robe::

::pulls out dual lightsaber::

Staring at anything for too long will hurt your eyes.  The VB will not make you go blind.  It's definitely a worthwhile system.  If you end up not liking it, I may even buy it off you. :D

Prepare to fight for it! :throws off jedi robe::

::pulls out dual lightsaber::

OOH OOH! I'll help! ::mobilizes Maverick forces and prepares to calibrate orbital laser::

my problem isn't the money.  I think I stated clearly that I don't want to buy a system that is going to make me blind. :ponder:

I think a bigger problem is neck pain, since hunching over to look into the system for long periods of time can be nasty.

It's a great system though... easily worth double what you'll pay for it. It does give some people eye strain, but I don't think it would ever be anything permanent.

--Zero

Oh wait, I probably should have asked... is this thing complete? I'm not talking about the box and all... but does it have the stand and the felt (?) eye guard thing that fits against your face? If it's missing either of these things, then the machine is essentially worthless. Not only is it pretty much unplayable without them, but the only source for replacements is from other VB's.

--Zero

Make sure the stand is not broken. You will not find a replacement for the plastic clip...

Other than that I'd pink up a 3rd one for $10.

Most of the really rare games for the system are from Japan, though you may find it hard to find WaterWorld and Nester's Funky Bowling. the rest can be easily found. And do pick up the Tertris from Japan..

Oh wait, I probably should have asked... is this thing complete? I'm not talking about the box and all... but does it have the stand and the felt (?) eye guard thing that fits against your face? If it's missing either of these things, then the machine is essentially worthless. Not only is it pretty much unplayable without them, but the only source for replacements is from other VB's.

--Zero

I'll be checking on it today. I saw a stand with it and it had a black guard around the eyepiece. I have had someone from AA pm me about it last night(wasn't familiar with them) so if I that doesn't work out I would put it on the marketplace for a trade or sale. If it is cool I might just keep it. I'll let everyone know.

:( I knew it was too good to be true. It does work, but there is no clip for the stand. The stand itself seems sturdy enough, but appears to have been glued together where the arms meet. When I checked it out the other day I only looked through the eyepiece to see that it worked. It's kind of heavy so I think I would have to have a working stand to want it. I was wondering why the stand wasn't connected.... :ponder: Now I know. I guess you get what you pay for. I looked on ebay and was quite surprised to see how much these things are going for! 50 dollars and up for this complete system! No one is selling parts though.... :sad: Well one day I might get this system, but apparently not today. :P

Id still pick it up for 10 bucks...

I used to play mine by laying in bed with it over my face...

Once you play warioland, you wont forget why you bough the system...

I think if if mario tennis was linkable it really wouldve done wonders... that wouldve been greta to play...

i still like that game as well.

Brad