IGNORED

Assembly with an emulator

LDA#$AF

I am looking to do some Assembly programming for the Atari 800.

I've got a copy of Atari Roots, De Re Atari, Atari Assembler cartridge and the MAC/65 cartridge so I think I am ready to go - at least when working from my Atari 800.

I would also like to work from an emulator on my laptop, but I can't seem to find a combination of assembler and emulator that work together.

I've tried the Atari Assembler ROM file with several emulators without success. I've also tried the Mac/65 atr, but it doesn't seem to have the debugger (no OS/A+, perhaps?).

I see myself moving to a cross assembler eventually, but I'd like to work from an emulator and the machine for a while.

I'd appreciate any comments that you may have.

• 1 month later...

If you get APE from www.atarimax.com and a pro cabe, and you have an atari 800 then you would be set up pretty good.

You could do your assembly and debug on the atari 800, save the file, use ape to make an atr file, and then run the atr file on many of the ibm emulators.

There are conversion programs to convert atr to think dfx files if you need it.

You can use the mac65 debugger on the atari.

You could also use a null modem cable and put a terminal program on the atari, and the ibm to move files over to the ibm if you need some format other than .ATR files, for what ever emulator program.

Seems to me, that there was a version of ddt a 6502 debugger available on disk, called ddt. dynamic debugger t??????

Can't quite remember all of the name.

I see myself moving to a cross assembler eventually, but I'd like to work from an emulator and the machine for a while.

Start as you mean to go on - using A800WinPlus with the debugging options built in is a fine way to debug programs in development.

(I posted this on another thread somewhere)

Choice of cross-assembler varies - many favour TASM/DASM but I go for the CA65 assembler that comes with the CC65 toolkit. TextPad for my editor and cygwin to provide a shell environment for the 'make' ;)

However there are a few IDE environments that you can setup (or 'plug') the Atari tools into to manage your projects. My advice, try and stick to something similar to what you commonly use, e.g. if you use M$ Visual Studio regularly then setup a MAKE environment that will launch the A8 cross tools instead.

Good luck!

Mark

Atari800Win provides an easy way to access "real" files. You can use Dasm or another PC assembler to compile a binary on the PC, and then load that in the emulator just by attaching it as a cartridge. If the game is not using the cartidge address space, you can dump the binary in a hard drive folder (i.e. a folder that is treated as the contents of a virtual disk drive within the emulator), and then use a short loader program to transfer it to the emulated 8-bit's memory.

Choice of cross-assembler varies - many favour TASM/DASM but I go for the CA65 assembler that comes with the CC65 toolkit. TextPad for my editor and cygwin to provide a shell environment for the 'make'  ;)

Xasm and Crimson Editor here and, just to prove how much variety there is, i hate Dasm 'cos i'm using it for 2600 code and it's got the silliest error reporting system i've ever come across... =-)