IGNORED

MAME: Anyone played ALL the MAME entries?

Inky

Okay, Has anyone tried to play all the MAME roms straight through (Barring clones, pirates and Mah Jong)?

I'm thinking of trying to attempt that very feat. Not in one marathon session, mind you. The idea is to play about 5 games a day, and put up a brief synopsis and 4-star review on a site....

Is there currently a comprehensive MAME review site?

(Barring clones, pirates and Mah Jong)?

Oh sure, take the easy way out :P

Is there currently a comprehensive MAME review site?

Not that I know of, but you might be interested in reading some of the "MAME Club" threads over at Digital Press. I've compiled a list of all the games chosen so far, with links to each of the threads.

Even ignoring clones and such, there are still around 2000 games in MAME... so even if you played 5 per day, you're still looking at over a years worth of "work". Not to mention that there are plenty of games that will be unplayably slow, even if you have The Computer of The Gods. Games like Driver's Edge won't even play full-speed on a 3GHz machine.

If you really want to start up a definitive MAME review site, you'd be better off recruiting people to contribute reviews for games so that you wouldn't be stuck doing all the work yourself, since you'd probably get burned out from playing some of the crappier games just to get a review of them. I'd be glad to toss in a review or two every week.

--Zero

(Barring clones, pirates and Mah Jong)?

Oh sure, take the easy way out :P

Take out Mah Jong, and MAME emulates like 3 games....

:D :P :D

EDIT: If anyone would be willing to see this to its fruition, I'd appreciate help. The only thing is that the reviews would be done in alphabetical order...

For no other reason than that I'm a masochist.. :P

I'm thinking of trying to attempt that very feat.  Not in one marathon session, mind you.  The idea is to play about 5 games a day, and put up a brief synopsis and 4-star review on a site....  

Have a nice year, Inky. We'll se ya sometime in 2005! :roll:

Screw mame, I can honestly say I've at least tried a pretty darn friggin good percentage of listed games in the actual ARCADE itself. :D I'm talking from the 70's to now. From when I was a 9 year old kid to being a 35 year old kid, I have sought out and spent a huge amount of time in whatever arcade I could find through most of my known life. And since I travelled to Japan and the States and Hawaii a lot too.. that's a lot of arcades. Throw out a game name to me.. most likely I dropped a quarter to play one variation or bootleg of it at one point in time (newer games notwithstanding.. who plays those?) :)

That being said.. there is still way too much in there to try them ALL out. It even boggles my mind. Inky, you're a frigging nut. :P

I could help, just send me a CD with all the ROMs on it.  I don't have anywhere near all of the ROMs that MAME supports.

I think you need 6 dvd's these days for an entire set.. yep, ridiculous. I know :roll:

Sure but MAME can play fanhacks which a real arcade pretty likely won't have.

Indeed! One of my favorites is the "2600" versions of various games like Pacman playable in Mame :)

download.php?id=4341

download.php?id=4342

Another one of my favorite is "House Party" which is a hack of Mappy. Fun stuff :P

Here are a couple of fun roms for mame. They are on a free site by geocities, so they will most likely reach the hourly bandwidth pretty fast.

http://www.geocities.com/bkarston1/bjkatari.html

If it is unavailable try again in an hour. I know geocities sucks, but I don't want to pay.

Check out these roms though, you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

EDIT:  If anyone would be willing to see this to its fruition, I'd appreciate help.  The only thing is that the reviews would be done in alphabetical order...

For no other reason than that I'm a masochist..  :P

I was actually thinking about this today, and was thinking that the best way to actually get something like this done would be to set up a web-accessable database that would let people submit their own reviews through simple webpage forms (Sort of like GameFAQs)... except that the web page would hand out "assignments", so you'd log in, and the system would assign you five randomly chosen games that hadn't been reviewed yet, and you wouldn't be given a new assignment until you had reviewed all five of those (If someone didn't finish their assignment after a month or so, the games would be "released" and added back to the pool of unreviewed games).

Otherwise, if you let people review whatever they choose, you'd get 20-30 reviews for Pac-Man before you even got 1 for Pandora's Palace. Once the time came that every game had a review, you re-run the entire database so that each game would get a second review... and then a third, and fourth eventually.

In order to maintain the integrity of the database, you might allow Slashdot-style meta-moderation... so someone could mark a review as "uninformed" or "insightful"... once a review got moderated down far enough, it would automatically be removed from the database, and the game would be flagged so that it would be involved in future assignments.

In fact, even if you just did this for yourself, it would be an interesting (and probably fun) way to do this. Assuming you did an assignment each day, you wake up with five new games to play that you might never have seen before. It's like opening presents from yourself!

--Zero

Thanks to either Fretwobbler or Liveinabin (Dang, I can't remember who, and I lost the business card he included) I have almost the whole set of MAME roms (11 CDs!).

Ze_ro, that's an excellent idea. My only problem is that whilst I can do HTML, I'm not handy at all with any of the scripting languages.

All I can say is, good luck finding all of them

Get onto the newsgroups, and wait for a flood... it'll take a few days, but it's by far the easiest way to get them all.

Ze_ro, that's an excellent idea. My only problem is that whilst I can do HTML, I'm not handy at all with any of the scripting languages.

I could probably whip up some PHP/SQL stuff to do what I mentioned... but I have no way of hosting it really. I imagine a MAME review site would require far more bandwidth than my cable modem could provide.

--Zero

All I can say is, good luck finding all of them

Get onto the newsgroups, and wait for a flood... it'll take a few days, but it's by far the easiest way to get them all.

I don't use newsgroups, maybe that's why I'm having trouble getting some of the ones that I really want :ponder:

I could probably whip up some PHP/SQL stuff to do what I mentioned... but I have no way of hosting it really. I imagine a MAME review site would require far more bandwidth than my cable modem could provide.

--Zero

Don't worry about the hosting. As soon as I have a domain, I have a host.. ;)

Thanks to either Fretwobbler or Liveinabin (Dang, I can't remember who, and I lost the business card he included) I have almost the whole set of MAME roms (11 CDs!).

Must have been Fretwobbler, I'd love to have that many ROMS. At last count I have about 30 :D

I'll see if I can set up some scripts... but I'm still fairly new to PHP myself, so it might be a while before I get junk like cookies and such working properly (Either that, or I just hack away at some already available code). I'm always looking for an excuse to try new stuff like this though. I love learning new computer stuff, even if I have no pressing need for the knowledge :)

--Zero

Alright, here we go with the first meaningful version of the system I mentioned. It's not terribly nice looking, it's not fully functional, and there's absolutely nothing specifically MAME about it at the moment. You can post reviews without logging in, and it's probably horribly insecure and full of bugs... but it's a start.

Introducing: Reviewpoint.

Feel free to test it out and add some reviews. Everything that is there so far is just nonsense that I used for testing purposes. I think my HTML is fairly clean, but please let me know if things look ugly in your browser of choice (Looks fine in Mozilla and Opera on this end).

--Zero

Alright, here we go with the first meaningful version of the system I mentioned. It's not terribly nice looking, it's not fully functional, and there's absolutely nothing specifically MAME about it at the moment. You can post reviews without logging in, and it's probably horribly insecure and full of bugs... but it's a start.

Introducing: Reviewpoint.

Feel free to test it out and add some reviews. Everything that is there so far is just nonsense that I used for testing purposes. I think my HTML is fairly clean, but please let me know if things look ugly in your browser of choice (Looks fine in Mozilla and Opera on this end).

--Zero

:o :o :o

That's good stuff!!!

Off to register the domain! :)