IGNORED

MAME: Anyone played ALL the MAME entries?

Inky

i think i am the only person who enjoys the mahjong games. Not for the stripping mind you, but because 4 player parlor version mahjong is still too confusing for me to truely grasp the strategy, but the 2 player video mahjong format is easier for me to digest.  :)

You know despite all the things and jokes said about the Mahjong games.. I still would like to learn the game so I can play them too. :D Someday... ;)

Is that what you call using a cheat.dat file? There are those use that to make games harder. I know about that page. If somebody wrote a history.dat file for mahjong games, that's a great resource. I know there's a another page for mahjong games, as I recall, it was in French.

What I never understood is why there are SO MANY mahjongg games! It's like, people always used to complain that there were so many 2D fighter games, but there must be at least 3 times as many mahjongg games in MAME. Are these really that popular in Japan? Or is this sort of like their version of Poker/Blackjack machines and VLT's?

--Zero

Or is this sort of like their version of Poker/Blackjack machines and VLT's?

Bingo. Pretty much akin to Video Blackjack and Poker machines in the US. You arnt able to win money playing them, so I assume this is where other aspects come into play. Kinda like if we had strip poker machines in our pachinko parlors. But then again, we need pachinko parlors first.. but you get what I am saying. Hopefully.

Well, what little I really know mahjong, it's game similar to Bridge. As to why it's popular in Japan, I really couldn't say. I suppose part of it has to do with pixelated boobies. It might be the same reason why dating sims and hentai games are SO popular in Japan. It could be that since Japan is really conservative country, it's like living a fantasy without actually doing it.

Actually, it is closest compared to Gin Rummy. The game has a rich history behind it.. the reason it is so popular is because there is symbolism in each piece, a story can be told just from playing the game. Hell, Mahjong tiles along with I-Ching straws are common oracles in both Japan and China. The parlor version with 4 players is a popular game to play in Hong Kong as well as China and to a lesser extent Japan, but the One on One style is primarily native to Japan. I am a big history nut and an afficianado of classic board games.. did you know that Shogi is also a popular video game in Japan? You don't see Shogi arcade machines often, but console versions of Shogi, Hanafuda, Mahjong, and Gomoku are quite common :)

http://www.ifa.au.dk/~harder/kanji.html

This discusses symbolism within the characters

http://www.xs4all.nl/~korntner/mahjong/fortune/

The use of Mahjong as an oracle :)

By the way, I've put some more time into Reviewpoint (Still running off of my server for the mean time)... it now sports an entire listing of games supported by MAME, and a news posting system.

Hopefully, the game list will evolve into a full fledged mame.dk (minus the screenshots (probably) and rom downloads of course). Aside from the game name, there's no actual information provided just yet, but I'll eventually have it provide a rom listing, hardware information, a history for the game (snipped from the history.dat file of course), and whatever other information MAME is willing to tell me.

--Zero

Fwew! I completely overhauled the site layout... it looks a LOT better now, and actually has some color rather than just shades of grey. I'm really quite pleased with it actually. I'm not usually very good at making snazzy HTML, but the tables turned out much better than I expected (I was worried I'd have to muck around with tables inside tables to get the look I wanted).

Obviously, I took some inspiration from AtariAge when designing the main page :D

--Zero