IGNORED

Playing unencrypted games in MESS

Mitch

I found a cool way to play unencrypted ROM's in MESS and I thought some of you guys might be interested in it. It so easy I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned before.

All you need to do is download the OS ROM from Eckhard's 7800 dev system and rename it 7800.rom. Then replace the regular OS ROM with the renamed one. Now you can play unencrypted ROM's (great for programmers) and try out PAL ROM's.

Have fun

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I was aware of all that.

Actually, the point that I was trying to make is that I was hoping for Mitch, or yourself, or somebody else with a modified 7800 would make the PAL roms available for download. I don't have any PAL games or a modified 7800 (yet).

Although most of the PAL games won't have notable differences from their NTSC counterparts, some games, like Impossible Mission, are different. AFAIK, all the available 7800 roms are NTSC. I don't think it's too early to start thinking about PAL roms with the next release of MESS right around the corner.

quote:

Mitch already has a dump for the Pal Impossible Mission AFAIK.

Mitch?

ahem.. giving out my secrets now eh?

Actually, PAL dumps are being worked on, hopefully by the time that PAL ROMs are supported in MESS, there will be a good amount of them (including Impossible Mission) ready to go.

I actually started mapping the PAL version of Impossible Mission but I still couldn't beat it.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I remember trying this out once, I wanted to see if I could play 2600 games on mess. I figured I could select 2600 mode. Well it didn't work.

I have always wanted to try the PAL version of Impossible Mission, especially now that Impossible Mission will work. Does anybody have a rom of the PAL version? Anybody plan on posting it? I would really like to see if in fact 'the bug' was really fixed.

Impossible Mission doesn't work in any format either NTSC nor Pal under Mess or V7800 right now. Mr. Boris updated some bugs outta the 7800 driver and now has Impossible mission and some others working. But we all have to wait for next release of Mess before we can really test them out. BTW...this driver update should allow either Pal or the NTSC versions to function under Mess once released.

Just so you know that it is a worthwhile cause, PAL 7800 Impossible Mission is beatable Yep, I can do quite easily to be honest heh... though it is harder than the C64 version because the man doesn't jump as well, and the robots are fatter (and hence harder to avoid). And there are less passwords to use. Still, there's a reason to get the damn thing working in MESS huh?!