IGNORED

StellaX vs Z26 Colors and using the new Stelladaptor

onkyo_emu

I'll try to keep this to the point. I've read a few places where people say the colors on Z26 are better than Stellax. But when I load Adventure on Z26, (with NTSC and all settings proper) the color (yellow castle/figure/yellow dragon) seems an shade of green-yellow. I also notice the same problem with Activision's Seaquest. But on stellaX, the colors look like REAL yellow, just as I remember.

The reason I bring this up, is that I want to use an atari style joystick with my emu system. (And have it look like the original) I bought a CX40 style stick w/ usb from redoctane, and it work so-so (stick movement way too stiff) but it's wired to use the sole button as #2 when viewed in windows control panel. Z26 ver 2.11 picked it up and the button works! Ya! But stellax senses the movement of the stick but ignores the button.

Soooo . . . Can I either fix StellaX to look for button two on a USB interface, or fix the colors on Z26? And will the Stelladaptor work on StellaX??? I've got a new CX40 enroute with fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest CVS code of Stella (version 1.4) includes the ability to switch between the following palettes:

Stella 1.2 (StellaX), Stella 1.3 & 1.4 (Cyberstella) and z26.

As for the Stelladaptor, I haven't got one yet, so I can't add support for it to Stella. It almost definitely will not work with either StellaX or Cyberstella.

Steve

It almost definitely will not work with either StellaX or Cyberstella.

Steve

Is there a reason for this? Stelladaptor will work with any emulator that supports USB game controllers. Driving controller support will need to be added to the emulator (see the tech. specs in the Stelladaptor on how to do that).

Joe

Steve

Is there a reason for this? Stelladaptor will work with any emulator that supports USB game controllers. Driving controller support will need to be added to the emulator (see the tech. specs in the Stelladaptor on how to do that).

Joe

I should have clarified; it will most likely not fully work with StellaX (if at all), since it only works with one joystick and 1 button on that stick. And I don't even know if it supports USB joysticks.

The code is quite old. Basically, StellaX looks for the first joystick on the system, and button 0 on that stick. So configuration of buttons, and two player games are impossible.

If someone manages to get it working, it would be a fluke :) As for seeing the Stelladaptor specs, I wouldn't even attempt to start coding or release code without having the actual hardware. Specs will only get you so far ...

Steve

Steve

Joe

For the record, Mac OS9 doesn't seem to like the Stelladaptor AT ALL. It thinks it's a mouse. It comes up as Stelladaptor if you pull up the USB device list in the System Profiler, but as device type it registers as a mouse (and does in fact move the mouse cursor, albeit far too fast to be useful).

Steve

Joe

For the record, Mac OS9 doesn't seem to like the Stelladaptor AT ALL. It thinks it's a mouse. It comes up as Stelladaptor if you pull up the USB device list in the System Profiler, but as device type it registers as a mouse (and does in fact move the mouse cursor, albeit far too fast to be useful).

This isn't surprising. I'm hoping that once I eventually get a Stelladaptor and get it working in the SDL version, *and* the SDL version is working in MacOS, then it should 'just work'.

Notice that's a lot of ifs :) But on a related note, it seems that at least one tester has compiled the latest CVS Stella code under OS X and actually played a game of Qb. So a new release of Stella (v. 1.4) for the Mac may not be that far away :D Of course, someone still has to write a nice Cocoa-based frontend for it ...

Steve