IGNORED

HELP! Stelladapter question

onkyo_emu

I would really like to know what button registers on windows control panel when an Atari stick is plugged into the Stelladaptor.

I really want to use this with StellaX, but that EMU seems to only want to recognize Button 1. My USB Atari stick from Red Octane is config'd for button 2 and only works with Z26.

Can someone please plug in their Stelladaptor and give me this answer. I would love to buy one, but want to make sure it will work with my preferred emulator!

Thanks!

The Stelladaptor uses button 1 for the joystick and the driving controller. It uses both buttons for the paddles, because there are two of them per port. If Stella can read USB joysticks, then it should work with an Atari joystick connected to the Stelladaptor too. The emulator needs to be prepared to handle the driving controller and the paddles though. So you'll have to wait for an update to Stella before you can use these controllers with it.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I really don't care about the driving controller or paddles. I just want to be able to use my Atari controller with StellaX. Everybody says great things about Z26, but the yellows seems so green.

So you're telling me that when you plug your stick into the Stelladaptor and pull up "gaming devices" and the properties in Windows Control Panel that you see "1" illuminate when you press the orange fire button. (Fingers crossed.)

Using my other PC USB sticks, StellaX only responds to button 1. So if that's the case, I'm in luck.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. The Stelladaptor uses PC button 1 for the firebutton on the Atari joystick.

Colours in emulators are always a problem, because everyone has their own settings for the colours in their TV and in their PC monitor. So it's impossible to find a palette that no-one would complain about. I guess eventually we will have to add a way for the user to customise the palette in z26.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I really want to use this with StellaX, but that EMU seems to only want to recognize Button 1.  My USB Atari stick from Red Octane is config'd for button 2 and only works with Z26.

StellaX (and Cyberstella) only work with one joystick and one button on that joystick, and it's not configurable. The latest Stella CVS code (for Windows and Linux) support up to 8 joysticks with up to 32 buttons per controller. Of course, since I haven't released it yet, that's not much use to you :) I really have to find time to get the sound issues fixed and a new release done ...

If Stella can read USB joysticks, then it should work with an Atari joystick connected to the Stelladaptor too. The emulator needs to be prepared to handle the driving controller and the paddles though. So you'll have to wait for an update to Stella before you can use these controllers with it.

It may recognize one USB joystick. I don't know, since I'm no longer developing that tree. And the update for Stella will have to wait until I get a Stelladaptor, and that won't happen until I can nail down the sound problem.

Steve

(Really slow) Linux and Windows SDL Stella maintainer

Thanks for your help. I've been talking to one of the guys over at Retrozone about this too. He's got an adapter that will do the trick for about 10 bucks less and I'm going to be ordering a NES pad too.

Ya, I know it won't do the driver or paddles, but I had neither as a kid, and all I care about is my old games that I owned on a CX40.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll be looking forward to another stella release.