IGNORED

High Score Club Week 2: Superman!

Ze_ro

Okay, I've had enough of this fucking game.

Heheh, yeah, I hear that... As fun as this game is, it's really frustrating to try to get such a fast time. Even though I know 1:15 is still an impressive time, it's still not even good enough to break the top 10. However, it's a nice to play a game where I don't have to set aside an hour or two to get a high score like with Circus Atari (Well, it can still take two hours of playing to get a high score, but at least you had about a hundred chances to get that score in that two hours)... Oh well, only one more day.

It's cool to see that there are a variety of workable strategies out there. I never build the bridge first, I usually try to alternate between grabbing a bad guy and getting a bridge piece... After I become Superman, I go up, then down, then into the subway. There are almost always three or four bad guys on one of the subway screens in there, so I'll get one of them (Luther, if possible), take him to the prison, grab one of the bridge pieces (not the one right above the prison) and take it to the river, then through the subway again to grab someone else, then another bridge piece... then try to round up the rest of the bad guys before finally grabbing the third bridge piece and assembling the bridge while on my way to the phone booth. It's worked well for me so far, and I'm sure I could break the one-minute barrier with a lucky game featuring cooperative bad guys. The real problem with this strategy is that you really have to hope that the helicopter doesn't grab any of the bridge pieces, otherwise you're probably screwed.... but I give up and reset on about 4 out of 5 games anyways, so no big deal.

One thing I really don't like about building the bridge first is that it gives the bad guys too much time to scatter around... even if it only takes 19 seconds to finish up the bridge, that's plenty of time for them to wander to the less recognizable screens and ruin your time completely.

--Zero

I am SOOO happy I couldn't sleep tonite...

0:54

I am stunned!

I will leave my Atari turned on and tomorrow (later today rather ;) ), I'm buying Polaroid film to take a picture of this :D

Zero, it never hurts to try. Remember, my strategy eliminates the green crook before any Bridge piece is touched. I gave my best tips possible and Sly's idea of nabbing the 2 extra crooks to the right of the Jail (before getting the Bridge piece directly above the Jail) in addition to the green crook is also helpful.

Nice to know I just beat Todd's World Record, he'll be excited to hear it!

OH MY WORD ANOTHER WORLD RECORD!!!

Well done 5th Ghost I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED!

I didn't do any better than my last time so i have just gave up i did try but

i got fed up and bored

The average review score is about right but it's still not as bad as ET!

(PS Plz anyone dont choose ET plz!) :D

Todd Rogers should start worrying about this club. If the club keeps this up in the span of 2 years Mr. Activision will have a lot of his records tied or broken. This kind of reminds of the old man who had collected yarn over a fifty year span to make the worlds largest ball of yarn. Then a town got wind of this record came together to destroy this mans record in a year or two. After all these years of collecting records Todd Rogers might be going down for the count by the hands of the high score club:twisted:

Thanks!

Glad my tips helped improve your times! (stayrunner, Christophero Sly) :thumbsup: Keep it up!

I didn't tape my game of course, I usually don't keep the VCR in the gameroom. I will however get Polaroid film and take a picture of the screen.

My hardware used is my Heavy Sixer, original CX-40 joystick and I chose to use my picture label Superman cart 8)

Here's my Superman collection:

superman.jpg

The Superman manual to the far bottom right is a bilingual manual that I found locally (wierd!) I'm still debating whether or not to try to remove the price tags from the Sears box and the "non" Special Edition box that the picture label cart came in.

It's funny that I never attempted to learn how to play this game till this week-it just seemed like a lame game. Thanks to this weeks contest I finally discovered how interesting and addicting this game really is!

Todd Rogers should start worrying about this club.   If the club keeps this up in the span of 2 years Mr. Activision will have a lot of his records tied or broken.   This kind of reminds of the old man who had collected yarn over a fifty year span to make the worlds largest ball of yarn.  Then a town got wind of this record came together to destroy this mans record in a year or two.   After all these years of collecting records Todd Rogers might be going down for the count by the hands of the high score club:twisted:

From what I hear from the man himself, he has so many WR's that it would probably take a century to match all of his records! I don't think he has any need to worry :)

Wow. You guys have thoroughly impressed me. I was worried that due to Superman's rather low popularity that this week wouldn't turn out as well as last week, and although there have been fewer entries, it's definitely been a hard-fought contest. I haven't had any luck beating my 1:09, so I'll likely have to settle for the 2 points that come with 9th place unless I can bust out a good run in the last hour or so of the week.

In case you didn't read most of that last paragraph, let me remind you that this week will be ending in a little over an hour, so if you're still planning on getting in some more crime fighting, now is your last chance!

I think it's totally awesome that the High Score Club has once again managed to top the Twin Galaxies #1 score, although I'm afraid our streak might stop at two, since the high score for next weeks game is exceptionally high. Don't let that stop you from trying though!

--Zero