IGNORED

Just fixed a master System... well, sorta

spongebue

A few days ago I went to work and someone had a Sega Master System (all open/naked) hooked up to the tv, and I asked whose it was. I talked to the owner a bit about it (myself being one of the few my age that likes older systems) and asked why it was opened up. He sait that the first player up button didn't work, and I offered to take a look at it. (I didn't know what exactly I could do, but it was worth a try) I knew it wasn't the controller because he said it still happened when he swapped the controllers. Later that day, I took it home and traced the wire from the pin on the joystick to the chip, when I saw there was a capacitor. I suspected that was the reason it didn't sork, and it worked after I swapped it with the second player cap. I am glad that it is now playable, but now I would like it if I could get the second player going as well. Does anybody know what kind of cap (i.e., what uF) it is? It is also a pretty weird one since it has 3 pins on it, not the usual 2. (middle one seems to go to the ground) If anybody has a dead SMS and would be willing to send a cap to me, that would be cool, too (PM preferred if possible).

Thanks,

spongebue, his coworker

Later that day, I took it home and traced the wire from the pin on the joystick to the chip, when I saw there was a capacitor.  I suspected that was the reason it didn't sork, and it worked after I swapped it with the second player cap.  I am glad that it is now playable, but now I would like it if I could get the second player going as well.  Does anybody know what kind of cap (i.e., what uF) it is?  It is also a pretty weird one since it has 3 pins on it, not the usual 2. (middle one seems to go to the ground)  If anybody has a dead SMS and would be willing to send a cap to me, that would be cool, too (PM preferred if possible).

Thanks,

spongebue, his coworker

Sounds like a supression capacitor to me or it might be a filter was there any writing on it that could help identify it?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.  It says "222 100v"

I was hoping there would be a manufacures part number, oh well. Its probably 2x 2.2nF, 100V capacitors although I have no idea what material they are made from, then thats about as much as I can tell you. You could try manufacturing your own if you can find a repacement. Connections would probably be as follows...

C1  C2

-||¬-||-

|

0V

it may also have a 0.1uF connected across each end (in parallel with C1 & C2).

Are you sure that the original problem was not just a bad solder joint that you cured while changing the parts over as capacitors especially small value capacitors are generally very reliable components.