IGNORED

5200 Zaxxon vs 8bit Zaxxon

Cafeman

First of all, here is my new feature on 5200 Zaxxon:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200zaxxon.html

I've hunted for more info to put into that article, but there really wasn't much to be found. Anyway, as this review relates, there was both an identical 16K version of Zaxxon for the 8bit, often found on cassette, and also a disk version which was 32K which had more stuff.

Has anybody here actually played the 32K 8bit version, and tell me a few things about the differences? I've read about the differences in older 80's mags, but I'd still appreciate hearing about 'em since I never played that version myself.

Also, Ron Fortier kind of disappeared off the videogame map in the mid 80's; anybody ever meet him or know him? Just curious.

There is a Ron Fortier in New England who is part of a 2-man "Those Wine Guys" thing on TV, they are wine experts; I don't think it's the same guy. FYI.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Cafeman ]

The picture looks like the old 8-bit version I used to have as a file on disk(was probably transfered from a cassette), But now that I know a 32k version exists...I'll be hunting the .atr ftp sites for it!

On a side note, my fraternity in college (Sigma Chi), had the actual arcade version in our lounge, I had the job of restoring it at the time, it was in sad shape until I repaired it, (I actually restored the art work on the cabinet by using a picture of what it looked like new (the cabinet artwork was half gone-ripped off), plus I replaced the switches in the joystick (it was busted so it always went left-I fixed that contact), I only repaired the old parts, as we didn't know where to obtain new ones...I, of course, was the reigning champ, with one brother hot on my heels! An old favorite of mine as well...I'll have to plan a trip to my old Frat house to see if they still have it (it's been 7 years).

Zaxxon was (is) one of my favorite games. I had the cartridge version growing up for the Atari 400/800, while my friend had the cassette version and I'm sure that they were 100% identical. I've also heard of a suped up 32K version but I've never seen it. The furthest I got was to where the opening in the wall was only one brick wide (or maybe two). anyone know what happens after that?

The best I could find on Ron J. Fortier was that he may have gone to work for EPYX after he left Datasoft. He was apperently working of some Databse program for the CoCo at that time (for Datasoft I assume, not EPYX). I'd be curious to see what happened to him too, he also programmed one of my other favorite games: Bruce Lee. I could never beat it, although I came close a few times.

Tempest

Tempest

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

Tempest, I used to get that far on my Atari 8bit version, too, but I don't on the 5200 version. THe firing just kills my hands and I die a lot more. Strange enough, the analog stick gives me NO probs at all on the 5200.

I'm trying to play the VSS emu of Zaxxon to get up to the robot and snag a picture of it; but using keys to control isn't too easy and I can't get there!

quote:

Originally posted by Raccoon Lad:

Hey Gunstar, what did you use to repair the side art, I'm assuming paint, but what kind? I'm asking because my Up'n Down arcade machine has side art that was obviously picked at by some jerk kid, and I want to fix it up, but I'm sure I'll never find replacement sideart.

It was acrylic paint that I used, I bought tubes of it from a local art store...I left what was left of the original decals on the cabinet and just painted in the parts that were missing. I don't even remember where I got the picture of the Zaxxon machine from that I used to copy, I think a brother located another Zaxxon machine somewhere and photographed it. They were Polaroids...