IGNORED

CV Cart Connectors?

joeybastard

Yesterday, a guy I work with gave me his old CV. He said it broke when he was a kid and his father tried to fix it but it never worked again.

I opened it up when I got home and was shocked to see the plastic part of the connector with a chunk missing and a bunch of the metal connections bent beyond salvaging.

It powers up OK and works with the 2600 module but the CV cart part is destroyed. Anyone know where to get these connectors? It looks like it will be a royal ass pain to change it out since it's soldered right to the board.

I have a dead MOBO that I was keeping around for parts, send me a PM if you want it.  ;)

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm skilled enough with a soldering iron to undertake this anyway. I don't want to waste your parts board by making a bigger mess of it.

I have a spare CV I use for parts too, I was just thinking it would be easier to buy the part loose rather than risk more damage by desoldering 2 connectors off 2 boards.

Maybe I'll convince my brother in Florida to do this for me :evil:

Thanks for the advice folks :)

desoildering

:ponder:

I have a dead MOBO that I was keeping around for parts, send me a PM if you want it. ;)

Hey now, Im a programmer, not an english major. :sad:

Hey now, I am no english major, I am a programmer as well and on top of that I am German. :P

Actually, I just checked the board and the connector is not only soldered in but also bolted down. No way are you gonna get that out without breaking something.  :(

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Even if you grab it, it feels solid as a rock in there. Oh well, I have a working CV, this was just a project.

www.ecoleco.com may have the connector.

Soldering isn't that hard. The things you need...

A wet sponge in a fireproof container, like a glass cereal bowl (to wipe the tip off)

Iron and solder

A good static-free area

A Solder Sucker

And as far as the actual soldering goes...

Never let the tip touch the solder. Never let the tip touch the trace on a board. That could seperate the trace from the board, thus causing you other problems. DO touch the tip to the wire on the onnecter. When the wire gets hot enough, touch the solder to the wire. The solder should then magically fill the hole in the trace.

Drill a whole down the middle and it should seperate. Take your time and you shouldn't break anything. Desoldering is easier than soldering IMHO. If its an aluminum rivet, it should be fairly soft. Worth all the trouble if you have a spare connector. Learn a new skill and get a new tool in the process. :D

It still shouldn't be that hard to change, even with the rivets.

@Shortly, ecoleco doesn't have the connectors by themselves. All they have is a recon. mobo. for $50. They expect you to send it to them for repairs like that, and they are extrememly expensive when it comes to repair.