IGNORED

Who Owned An "Unpopular" System?

Tempest

For me, it was my Tandy Color Computer 2 (like another one of you guys). Thankfully, I had a faithful friend in middle school who lived and breathed his upgraded CoCo 1, so it didn't matter that we didn't have C64s and that my Apple ][+ was somewhat outdated by then. ;)

My parents got us the Odyssey2, because it was a "computer" rather than the 2600 or Intellivision. :-)

Most of my friends had the 2600, and a few had Intellivisions..

We were the only people we knew (And I lived in L.A., there were alot of people around..) who had the O2, so no game trading... :-(

Although, I did have fun with that system.

desiv

My friend who lived across the street from me had an Odyssey II, I had a VCS. I used to kind of give him a hard time because I would get a new game about once a month and he couldn't even find a place that sold games for his system. Still the ones that he did have were much better than most of my Atari games. K.C. Munchkin vs Pac-Man for example.

To this day his remains the only Odyssey II that I've ever seen in person.

-S

We had a TI-99 4a when they were relatively new. We had a nice setup also with the tape drive and the speech synthisyser (sp?) and a bunch of games.

I just recently tried to find it again in the piles of stuff we have in out basement (I thought I knew where it was) but I have yet to find that box again. I hope my parents didn't give it away :(

I remember when the nes and master system came out in 85 and how quickly the nes became known as the cooler system. I'm not talking about some well known title, but only to the idea that the master system was frowned upon in comparison to the nes. Before the systems came out I was telling my friends that the master system wasn't nearly as good(cool) as the nes and most of them did get the nes for Christmas that year. For the life of me I can't think of why I thought the nes was so superior to the master system. :? I was only 7 in '85 so who knows what infuenced those opinions. These days I realize that the sega master system was the more powerful system and and it only lacked the software support given to the nes.

I was telling my friends that the master system wasn't nearly as good(cool) as the nes

So, it was your fault!

But, in mere non-moments, it will not be your fault, because Sega's crack team of chronoassassins will be deployed within soon-to-never-have-happened minutes...

All you Timex/Sinclair owners. See, if you had grown up in the UK, you would have been at the top of the pecking order. The Spectrum was the undisputed king of the playground (mainly because it was really cheap and the tapes were really easy to copy :) )

We had a Tandy computer from when it first came out. My parents were still using it well into the 1990s for word processing before I finally exposed them to these crazy new "things" known as the Internet and Pentium computers.

Then again, they were still using rotary phones and refused to get touch tone until about 1998. :D

Well I had the C-64 in the late 80s. There were still kids playing it but I

really wished I could be in on all the excitment over Zelda and Mario

back than. When that was sold and replaced, it was with an XT!!!

Very poor decision in 1990. I had fun with some of the older games of

Sierra but 386s and VGA were coming out and Wing Commander and

Ultima VI were the rage and all I had was 4.77 Mhz and EGA :sad:

Luckily my Mom spoiled me that year at Christmas and got me a

Gameboy which became my #1 game system.

I still have my Sega master system with the original box and 2 controllers and the light gun. The light gun no longer works and only 1 of the 2 controllers still works. The system itself works and I have about 6 working games.

So as far as game systems go, I have had a 2600, A Sega Master system, Genesis, Playstation and my current Playstation 2. I now have a 5200, 7800 and a Odyssey 2 system in my collection but I am not counting those because I have only recently got them and did not have them when they were available back in the days.

All you Timex/Sinclair owners.  See, if you had grown up in the UK, you would have been at the top of the pecking order.  The Spectrum was the undisputed king of the playground (mainly because it was really cheap and the tapes were really easy to copy :) )

Uh, the Timex/Sinclair 1000 is NOT the same as the Sinclair Spectrum; it's actually based on the Spectrum's predecessor, the Sinclair ZX81, just with 2K RAM memory under the hood rather than 1K that the ZX81 had. An American version of the Spectrum, the Timex/Sinclair 2068, was released, but it never was well-known enough for me to even locate it, and also it was incompatible with the Spectrum machines.

I went for the 7800 back in the late 80s over getting an NES because they were really cheap, and so were the games. I think 50 bucks for the unit and 15-20 bucks for the cartridges. Plus at the time I was so accustomed to the Atari brand that the Nintendo's D-pad drove me nuts. Clearly this cross button was not the true way to go about playing Pac Man.

One of the neighborhood kids had a Nintendo anyway, but it was so abused it already exhibited the blinking screen syndrome (1988!) so we mostly ignored it.

A year and a half later I unfortunately sold it at a yard sale before moving, and put the money towards finally getting a Nintendo. I guess I got bored with it, you can only go so far with arcade ports.

Other than the Atari 2600, NES, Commodore Amiga, and Sega Genesis, i've always owned unpopular consoles and computers. For me, it's kind of an 'underdog' kind of thing. I owned a TI-99/4A when everyone I knew had a Commodore 64 or an Atari 8-bit computer. I had an NES for a while, but Nintendo's business practices turned me off of them, so I tossed the NES into the closet and bought an Atari 7800. Later on, I got a TurboGraphx-16, Pioneer LaserActive, Atari Lynx, Atari Jaguar, Nuon, etc. etc.

I loved my Game.com, still do, the card games and puzzles just sucked on other systems. To bad it never caught on. Now how's that for an unpopular system?

I was always a generation or two behind everybody else with consoles as a child, so even though in it's day, Atari 2600 was popular, I had it when Nintendo had been out a while. :lol But I loved my games back then, so what if other people couldn't get past graphics and thought it sucked.

Uh, the Timex/Sinclair 1000 is NOT the same as the Sinclair Spectrum; it's actually based on the Spectrum's predecessor, the Sinclair ZX81, just with 2K RAM memory under the hood rather than 1K that the ZX81 had.  An American version of the Spectrum, the Timex/Sinclair 2068, was released, but it never was well-known enough for me to even locate it, and also it was incompatible with the Spectrum machines.

Sorry, doh! I should have known that, after all, the ZX81 was my first computer too.

What a great micro it was, no sound, no color, 1k memory (unless you fitted the most wobbly volutile RAMpack in history) and you had no idea if your program was actually loading. I loved every second of owning it :D

I remember once (and hey, I was young) tapping 1 and 0 repeatedly and filling up the screen with 1's and 0's. See, my brother told me that machine code was just 1's and 0's and I wanted to see if I could make some kind of Space Invaders game :ponder:

the most obscure system i ever owned was in 1985 and it was a laser 310 computer, before that was a Gemini (ATARI 2600 Clone) and then in 1986 i was all hung up on Color Computer 3 with the ADOS 3.1 upgrade,

and after that i found by the curb an old intv 2 system and about 12 games

and at the age of 18 (1998) sold them all for $100.00 even to a guy who had like 6 kids at the time game consoles in my hometown of lawrence kansas were not worth much and i considered myself lucky to have even gotten that much for them all together.

now when i look back on those days i wish i had them all again.

Escpecially the Gemini although not a "Real Atari" i would be able to play all the old games as well as purchase new carts !, man i am so Depressed now what a fool i have been.

OA