IGNORED

Who Owned An "Unpopular" System?

Tempest

Do they still make unpopular systems anymore? Come to think of it, I can only name the three giants who have released systems in the past years. I may be wrong about this, but why aren't there more systems by random companies on the market as it seems to have been back in the day?

I owned a SegaCD, 32X, 3DO, and Jaguar, do those count as unpopular?

Before I got my first videogame system, I didn't want an Atari. I wanted an Odyssey 2.

Similarly, the NES era had no appeal for me at all. I wanted an Atari 7800.

From 1983 to 1992, I played my Atari 5200.

Do they still make unpopular systems anymore? Come to think of it, I can only name the three giants who have released systems in the past years. I may be wrong about this, but why aren't there more systems by random companies on the market as it seems to have been back in the day?

Well, it takes obscene amounts of cash to do a "real" system nowadays. Nintendo, Sony, and MS spend more on their systems than some nations are worth.

Last system laucnh I know of was the Mattel Hyperscan, though.

They still exist, just not in the video game section.

:cool: When I was growing up. My first system was a Vic-20. At the time it was not very popular. All my friends owned a C-64. But to be honest I loved using the Vic-20. I still believe to this day we never got to see the full potential of that machine.

My second computer was a Tandy color computer 3. This will rate as my all time Fav machine. Even today I still collect and play with them. As I have found learning Assembly language is easier to learn on this machine. So both of my All time Fav machines were unpopular in their day.

Same here, I was gaming it up on the Saturn while all my friends were telling me it was crap, playing their PS1s. I didn't care, though, I had Sonic, Nights into Dreams, Vf2, and Clockwork Knight 1/2.

The Saturn was never a bad system and its a cult classic here in the U.S. In NYC, we seem to liked the Sega Saturn, because Sega was cashing into the whole Urban Street Attitude Thing. Overall, the Saturn was a Underrated Console (because it was to Japanese orientated), but in Japan, they were selling them like Hotcakes!!! The other problem was that the Saturn used Two Hitachi SH2 32-Bit Central Processing Chips (Sega loves using Hitachi chips, for some reason) which was more powerful then Playstations, but the SH2 chips were somewhat inferior to Sony's. Rumor has it that Nakayama-San selected the chip as a favor for his Golf pal!!!

Anthony...

I own many "unpopular" systems:

Magnavox Odyssey

Fairchild Channel F

RCA Studio II

Magnavox Odyssey 2

Milton Bradley Microvision

GCE Vectrex

TI 99/4a

ViewMaster InteractiveVision

Telegames Dina 2 in One (Personal Arcade)

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Tiger R-Zone

Tiger Game.com

Atari Jaguar

Sega Master System

Sega Game Gear

Sega CD

Sega Genesis 32X

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

JVC X'Eye

VM Labs Nuon

SSD Co. XaviXPort

Some of the Sega ones are questionable because they were all popular in some circles, but not main stream. Vectrex was never popular in its day, and is only popular in the collector scene. As for the rest of them... some are downright hated!

Edited by Rev. Rob