IGNORED

help think up some new: "Did you know"? sayings fo

scrummy

Thanks ALbert this is great.

--

Some Early Atari Jaguars made a hissing sound. This was a RF issue and was fixed on later models.

--

(1)

When I got my Jag in early '93, I called Atari and customer support told me that the noise was from a fan in the Jaguar. I was kinda bummed a year later when I took it apart and found that there was no fan in there.

I kinda made a mess of the insides but after putting it all back together it worked and no more hissing sound.

--

Kinda neat.

Note: the hissing sound is documented in the Jung faq

(2)

The Atari Jaguar CD unit has a backdoor hack allowing you to create your own effects.

The VLM code? If he starts listing codes and secrets in the software' date=' where do you draw the line? There's hundreds of easter eggs, codes, etc in the Jaguar library.[/quote']

Indeed there are, and lots are listed in the rarity guide/software database here, talking of which, that should be updated, to include the newer homebrew/proto releases, and Im sure there is lots of extra tips/cheats/info/etc that could be added too.

The VLM code? If he starts listing codes and secrets in the software' date=' where do you draw the line? There's hundreds of easter eggs' date=' codes, etc in the Jaguar library.[/quote'']

Indeed there are, and lots are listed in the rarity guide/software database here, talking of which, that should be updated, to include the newer homebrew/proto releases, and Im sure there is lots of extra tips/cheats/info/etc that could be added too.

Agreed. :)

..Al

Zylonbane,

You are correct red robot. I always thought of the VLM hack as more than an easter egg but alas I suppose it is really just that.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that the VLM is just a progran running from the toilet and not some physical reality of the device itself.

Cheers to your new icon.

These are all great' date=' keep 'em coming. I'll add most of these all at once in a batch update. :)

..Al[/quote']

Translation:

"DAMN! I thought you guys would only come up with one or two new bits of trivia! this is going to take me weeks to update now.. ARGH!"

:)

Translation:

"DAMN! I thought you guys would only come up with one or two new bits of trivia! this is going to take me weeks to update now.. ARGH!"

No, these are fairly easy to add, but easier to do in a large batch. When they go in, they'll be edited and appropriate links will be added, but it's not too time consuming. So definitely keep 'em coming. :)

..Al

ooooh! FUN!

Did you know:

The Jaguar's boot sequence "roar" is not a jaguar at all' date=' but actually the sampled growl of a LION from the San Diego Zoo.[/quote']

Ahh, that's a great one. :) I remember reading something about this, I'll have to see if I can find the source..

..Al

ooooh! FUN!

Did you know:

The Jaguar's boot sequence "roar" is not a jaguar at all' date=' but actually the sampled growl of a LION from the San Diego Zoo.[/quote']

Ahh, that's a great one. :) I remember reading something about this, I'll have to see if I can find the source..

..Al

Do lions live that long? :) perhaps an interview if the lion is still alive? :)

• 9 years later...

Some real ones:

The Atari Jaguar game Defender 2000 has a easter egg that lets you play as Flossie the sheep.

The Atari Jaguar CD unit will also play cd+G Karoake disks.

The Atari Jaguar game Tempest 2000 contains an audio sample from the movie VideoDrome.

The Atari Jaguar Virtual Light Machine will leave you tripping balls.

Scrummy you always had us tripping balls. Where the hell is this guy? I haven't seen a good Scrummy post in years here!

Well, seeing as Chris took it upon himself to Deca-Bump this dusty old thread, I'd just like to ask...

NTSC Jaguars have red power LEDs; PAL Jaguars have green power LEDs.

...is this actually true/fact?

The only reason I ask, only ever living in the UK, is that ALL of the Jags I have ever owned have always had a Green LED.

Do all you guys over the pond (i.e. 80%+) have Red LED's then? If so... I'm quite envious, as Red was always the obvious colour choice to have been used - regardless of regions imo.

Well, seeing as Chris took it upon himself to Deca-Bump this dusty old thread, I'd just like to ask...

...is this actually true/fact?

It is. If your Jag has a green LED, you've got a sucky 50Hz black-borders chug-a-long Jaguar! :0)

It's not quite that simple, some games cater to 50/60 better than others and some even have special revisions, but personally, I'd take the 15 minutes and add that switch (most of that 15 minutes will involve lacerations and foul language as the shielding let's you know it's quite happy where it is, thankyouverymuch... :0)

EDIT: and hey, while you're in there, LED swap for something more fun. I have blue and orange in my two main Jaguars.

The Jaguar's emergency backdoor encryption key code is, in hexadecimal: $03D0DEAD.

This one is not quite correct. $03D0DEAD is not the backdoor key, it's a "magic" value that's used in the boot process, and it means the cart security check succeeded.

By the way, the security check is often called "encryption", but that's a misnomer. The actual game code and data in Jaguar carts and CDs (as well as Lynx carts, and probably 7800 carts too) are not encrypted at all ; they're just digitally signed.

• Like 4

How about "Did you know: The Gameboy Advance version of Doom was ported from the Jaguar Doom source code"

Nice!! It felt like it.

The Jaguar's boot sequence "roar" is not a jaguar at all, but actually the sampled growl of a LION from the San Diego Zoo.

Did you know:

That the opening of "Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure" has an opening sound more similar to the roar of a Jaguar.

I always thought it sounded like a toilet flushing.

LOL, could see that.

Did you know:

Rob Paulsen, voice of Yakko on the Animaniacs, was also the voice of Bubsy Bobcat in Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales.

Edited by doctorclu