IGNORED

help think up some new: "Did you know"? sayings fo

scrummy

In fear of sounding horribly naive... is this actually true?!

(p.s. never played Battlemorph)

I'm only going off what I read on the website I mentioned. I'll have a look in the manual when I get a chance and see if it lists him on the credits. I've looked at Wikipedia and it does state on there that he was a well known voice artist for video games in the early 90s but no specific mention of the Jag. Edited by Gulfman

The jaguars chip designer was not paid, therefore did not create any development tools for the chipset.-rumor...

Unlikely for several reasons:

* The chips designers for the Jaguar have been interviewed in the past, and to my knowledge, they did not mention this.

* Even in relatively small teams (like the one that designed the Jaguar), it would be very unusual for a chip designer working on such a project to write the development tools him/herself; it's a different job (and a full-time one).

* There were development tools (altough not a lot of them, and not very good ones). Some of the people who worked on this are known; their names appear in old docs. Atari had a contract with Brainstorm for this.

That doesn't mean Atari was above not paying people for their work. IIRC, they did this several times, including releasing a late beta version of Zero 5 as the completed game and not paying their invoices to the developers.

• Like 3

Trivia: the chipset designed for the Jaguar was intended to be used not just in games consoles, but in future desktop computers, too. For this reason, the Jaguar includes unusual features for a console: support for Intel (in addition to Motorola) processors, custom video modes, video incrustation... They're mostly unused or unusable, though.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

Other trivia:

- Unlike most of the other consoles at the time, the Jaguar doesn't have any region-locking mechanism, and Atari actually required all cartridges to be compatible with both NTSC and PAL systems.

- The Jaguar is known for having various bugs, but the most embarassing one is probably in the intro sequence that's displayed every time the console is powered on: while the letters of the word "ATARI" are rotating, the leftmost "A" has visible 3D rendering errors.

- I'm not sure about this one, but I think the Jaguar was the first non-portable console which supported linking up several consoles together for local multiplayer games.

• Like 1

Trivia: the chipset designed for the Jaguar was intended to be used not just in games consoles, but in future desktop computers, too. For this reason, the Jaguar includes unusual features for a console: support for Intel (in addition to Motorola) processors, custom video modes, video incrustation... They're mostly unused or unusable, though.

About that, I've been told by people who had a look at the Falcon's TOS source code that there were some files that had Object Processor bindings - possibly there were talks of using it instead of the Videl chip.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Other trivia:

- Unlike most of the other consoles at the time, the Jaguar doesn't have any region-locking mechanism, and Atari actually required all cartridges to be compatible with both NTSC and PAL systems.

Well that's pretty awesome. I'm not going to be afraid to hit up telegames UK then, even if I will have to translate game text from Olde English to Murrican.

• 2 weeks later...

In fear of sounding horribly naive... is this actually true?!

So there we go folks, Rob Brydon is a Jaguar Legend.

He confirmed it yesterday on twitter!! Said he did do voices for it, and the Studio was in a field! ?

Edited by Gulfman
  • Like 1