IGNORED

Gamestop heads up

I really do not understand your problem with the DC??

/Troop

It's simple really. Sega lost much credibility after the Sega Genesis. I supported them from a hardware standpoint throughout, hoping they would change. But alas, many of us early adopters were left out in the cold whenever Sega realized that they had released yet another hardware failure only to prematurely abandon it. Sure, they were drowning in debt throughout, but the funny thing is, not only was the hardware poor, so were the games!

Dreamcast fanatics today are often those who bought their systems on clearance for $50 along with their budget-priced used games. They weren't there from the beginning, nor did they have to endure nearly a decade of Sega's empty promises (and poor titles), so to them, Sega and the DC are OK in their eyes. Yes, me supporting Sega throughout was partly my fault, but I was damned if I'd go to the Sony side. It was not until I heard that MICROSOFT would be releasing the XBOX and finally bringing some levity to this market that I rejoiced! At last, years of Sega's mismanagement and blundering ways would be put to an end! And even today in their 3rd party software-only state, they still have yet to match the greatness they once exuded during the Tom Kalinske days (16-bit era for those who have no idea).

The problem with saying that Sega blew gonads in the 90's is that you have to include the Saturn in that list, which I decidedly do NOT think sucks in any way. Dreamcast was a fine successor to it that in many ways was ahead of it's time.

And yes, I got mine for $50, so sue me.

And yes' date=' I got mine for $50, so sue me.[/quote']

Me too and I curse myself for not buying it the day it came out so I could have enjoyed it the whole time.

I find myself totally at odds with AdrianM on Sega. I find the Genesis to be the most unfun of the Sega consoles and think the Dreamcast is far superior to any of the current gen systems.

And yes' date=' I got mine for $50' date=' so sue me.[/quote'']

Me too and I curse myself for not buying it the day it came out so I could have enjoyed it the whole time.

Exactly. If I hadn't been such a poor broke schmuck back on 9/9/99 (I was living on Ramen noodles at the time) maybe I would have.

I find myself totally at odds with AdrianM on Sega. I find the Genesis to be the most unfun of the Sega consoles and think the Dreamcast is far superior to any of the current gen systems.

I wouldn't go THAT far. I still love playing the Genesis, so to me the only system Sega made that WASN'T good is that horrible 32X abomination.

Well again, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just think a counterpoint to other opinions makes for more interesting threads. I agree the Sega CD and 32x are big disappointments but I consider them to part of the Genny, not entirely separate consoles.

I don't hate the Genny either, I don't hate any game system. I can always find some games that are fun and some that suck on any system. It's just that on the Genny I'm disappointed more often than not. Same goes for the PS1 and why I never bought one. Of the current, I enjoy the GC more than the other 2, but I like my DC better then the new 3 combined.

I'm kind of surprised that a lot of you don't consider the Saturn a failure. Granted it had two of my fave games...Sega Rally and VF2, but it didn't exactly have a great domestic games library and the thing was really looked down upon thanks to all the PS fanboys and media back then who took every opportunity to trash the system and its weak 3D abilities.

As time progressed, it even became difficult just to find games for the system. After the experience with the Saturn (and the new Sega with Stolar and later Moore at the helm), lord only knows why I decided to get a DC on launch day. Perhaps it was the promise of finally seeing the much-lauded Project Berekely (later known as SHenmue) come to fruition to which I agree, the system was worth owning for that game, but I had been betrayed by Sega numerous times before. Bah, whatever. In any event, I am glad to see Sega where it is today. Serves em right! :)

I got my Dreamcast when it came out, and my Saturn when it came out, and I love them both to death.

To keep on topic...I think they phased out anything pre-DC at the gamestops around here. Last time I went to the one at the mall they said they don't carry DC games anymore (but they had an N64 for sale..go fig)

I'm surprised your Gamestop stores still have NES and SNES games...my local shops have long since liquidated their old 8-bit/16bit games and now are working on phasing out DC (YES!!)' date=' N64 and PS1 games and hardware![/quote']

There is one Gamestop by me that gets new NES and SNES games everday. They get them from the other Gamestops that don't want them anymore.

Gamestops in the area are still doing fine. I like the GameInformer monthly that they put out. They still sell loads of Nintendo, SNES, and Genesis titles. I just got a Playstation for the first time about a week ago and it is great! Well, I'm an rpg lover myself and that is all that I've played so far for the PS1. Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII. I know the PS1 has many great games in other genres too so I don't see why people don't like this system. :?

I just got a Playstation for the first time about a week ago and it is great! Well' date=' I'm an rpg lover myself and that is all that I've played so far for the PS1. Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII. I know the PS1 has many great games in other genres too so I don't see why people don't like this system. :?[/quote']

A lot of people liked it, it sold millions and millions. The PS1 was and is a great system.

The Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, SNES, Genesis, and NES are all great systems.

I really do not understand your problem with the DC??

/Troop

It's simple really. Sega lost much credibility after the Sega Genesis. I supported them from a hardware standpoint throughout' date=' hoping they would change. But alas, many of us early adopters were left out in the cold whenever Sega realized that they had released yet another hardware failure only to prematurely abandon it. Sure, they were drowning in debt throughout, but the funny thing is, not only was the hardware poor, so were the games!

Dreamcast fanatics today are often those who bought their systems on clearance for $50 along with their budget-priced used games. They weren't there from the beginning, nor did they have to endure nearly a decade of Sega's empty promises (and poor titles), so to them, Sega and the DC are OK in their eyes. Yes, me supporting Sega throughout was partly my fault, but I was damned if I'd go to the Sony side. It was not until I heard that MICROSOFT would be releasing the XBOX and finally bringing some levity to this market that I rejoiced! At last, years of Sega's mismanagement and blundering ways would be put to an end! And even today in their 3rd party software-only state, they still have yet to match the greatness they once exuded during the Tom Kalinske days (16-bit era for those who have no idea).[/quote']

Ok, so you're saying you don't like a good console because the company sucks and made mistakes?

I've had a Sega Genesis since it first came out, I had the SegaCD since it first came out. I've bought an assortment of crappy carts & CD's. I've wasted money. I've gotten bent when they suddenly drop offical support for the sake of their next console.

I've done the same with Atari, Sony, Microsoft, Coleco, Commodore, Nintendo, and many others. Sega doesn't have exclusive rights to crappy hardware & software or bad business techniques.

Personal gripes towards the company on a whole aside, the DC is a fine machine technicaly that can still hold it's own against modern consoles.

BTW, I bought my DC back when the price dropped to $149.

This is what happened to me back in the day:

Bought a Saturn...."Gee very few games that are cool, Playstation has lots of cool ones".

Took it back, bought an N64........"Gee very few games that are cool, Playstation has lots of cool ones".

Took it back and got a Playstation...."My goodness, Resident Evil....Wipeout... FF...Metal Gear...... I'm in heaven!"

Thats what happened to me in the mid-90's.

I was there, I paid full price for everything and ended up with a playstation and never looked back until the DC came out.

When the DC came out I eventually sold it and got the PS2.

When the XBOX was announced, I couldn't help but buy one cause I loved Halo and some of the better quality games.

Because of my love of videogames, I now own a Saturn, DC, XBOX, PS2 (which plays PS1 games), Gamecube and Xbox.

My point is: I was screwed over by Sega with their lack of games support.....later on....that fact didn't bother me anymore and I own those systems with the few good games they have. It also seems many companies now understand that the games are what make a system great.....which is a good thing.

Granted the financially smart thing to do is support one system, but hey...I like them all! I've just learned to only buy games that I like and rent if need be and WAIT till they drop in price.

game on!

I bought my Dreamcast on December 23rd, 1999 (my birthday). I hadn't bought a game console since the Atari Jaguar in late 1993, so the DC got me back into 'modern' gaming. I didn't feel burned by the 32X or Sega CD. They were just add-ons to compliment a console, not replace it. And I didn't buy a Saturn until this year, so I didn't get mad at Sega for not shoveling money into a console that was clearly in 3rd place, and no amount of new games was going to change that. I have no dislike of Sega, because they made business decisions that needed to be made. However, I can't stand Microsoft, and I never play my Xbox, that was given to me for my birthday in 2002. But I don't constantly bring up my dislike of Microsoft in every forum post that mentions the Xbox.

I bet if you took the most extreme DC hater, locked him in a hotel room with Samba De Amigo, a couple kegs, and some bikini models, he'd come out with a changed opinion :)

I'm still trying to find the damn maracas (first party, not the crappy knockoffs) for a decent price. Have the game, but no maracas.

I have no dislike of Sega, because they made business decisions that needed to be made.

That is where you misunderstand. Sega began to lose focus during the latter stages of the 16 bit era (1993-1994) which would ultimately lead to their downfall. "Why" you ask? Because, after successfully holding their own with the Genesis against the SNES in 1991, Sega saw fit to expand into other hardware avenues with their overpriced (and poorly selling) Sega CD and 32X add-ons. Their support for these add-ons was lukewarm at best and their business strategy made little to no sense whatsoever (wtf were they doing releasing a 32X as a stopgap solution instead of encouraging users to move to the Saturn in the first place? The Saturn launch itself was handled in typical bumbling Sega fashion which prompted some high profile resellers to drop the console altogether).

The Sega community as a whole began to view Sega in disgust with their spastic business decisions. You see, the whole point is that these stupid decisions would ultimately HURT Sega in the long run and put them where they are today. They incurred massive debt from these failed ventures and were forced to take on more of a reactionary stance in their business decisions. The Saturn died off far sooner than they would have hoped and from late 1998 to to the time that Sega (was forced) to launch the Dreamcast, they had no consistent source of console games revenue in the US (save for some PC games and whatnot) as the Saturn's final 3 games were released in 1998. The released the DC before they were ready to and they simply weren't in the right financial shape to roll out yet another hardware product (again, thanks to the massive debts incurred from their previous hardware failures), so ultimately they were forced to pull the plug on the DC and finally give in to a platfom agnostic publishing role!

Hate Microsoft if you will, but as a console company they've done nearly everything right and better still, they're here for you today as well as tomorrow.

I'm still trying to find the damn maracas (first party, not the crappy knockoffs) for a decent price.  Have the game, but no maracas.

Me too. I stupidly passed on them when I firs got my DC because I was thinking, $40 for controllers that only work with one game? Naaaahhhh...

Then I played Samba with them at a friends and felt stupid for not getting them ever since.

I will not make the same mistake with Donkey Konga :D