IGNORED

Gamestop heads up

so ultimately they were forced to pull the plug on the DC and finally give in to a platfom agnostic publishing role!

How "platform agnostic" is taking Microsoft's money in exchange for making "X-Box Exclusive" titles?

They also make PS2 and GC exclusive titles too, lest you forget.

But generally speaking, they are out to publish on whatever platform they can get their hands on these days (from N-Gage to teh XBOX!).

Poor Sega, but in the end, they did it to themselves! :thumbsup:

I've never been a huge fan of Sega. I thought the Genesis was neat in it's time, but not neat enough to buy one. I felt pretty much the same about all of the Sega consoles that came after. I did buy a used Gamegear at one time, but quickly got bored with it. Today I came across a CIB Dreamcast for $20. Seemed like a good price so I picked it up. This is the first Sega console I've ever owned. I figure if I try it for a while and decide I don't like it I can always get my money back on ebay.

-S

I've never been a huge fan of Sega. I thought the Genesis was neat in it's time, but not neat enough to buy one. I felt pretty much the same about all of the Sega consoles that came after. I did buy a used Gamegear at one time, but quickly got bored with it. Today I came across a CIB Dreamcast for $20. Seemed like a good price so I picked it up. This is the first Sega console I've ever owned. I figure if I try it for a while and decide I don't like it I can always get my money back on ebay.

-S

Or you could dispose of it! :D

But anyway, as much as I despise and urge people to rid themselves of the DC, do try out Shenmue.

But anyway, as much as I despise and urge people to rid themselves of the DC, do try out Shenmue.

And Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Samba, Sword of the Berzerk, House of the Dead II and a ton of other games.

Give the DC a real shot before giving it up. :)

I agree w/ MMF on this one as well as several other people - I do love (probably more then most) my dreamcast. We have 60+(lost count,lol) games for her and I am happy to have 2 of my own! One I paid 100$ for - got yelled at for playing my friends more then they did - and the other was recently so I can have a second. I still play and enjoy my first dreamcast and unlike some never had a problem with it- both US and Import games. The dreamcast has an amazing variety of fighting games - the intitial reason why I had wanted one as well as fun racing,kids games, and yes fishing games. If you'd like lists of aweosme games I am sure we could flood this thread. Oh and, You bet I did indeed say fishing games,lol. :)

I never really had a problem with the genesis or game gear (one of my fav's) either - I like both systems. We don't have much for the saturn bout 25-30? games some of which were pretty expensive, s I can understand a lack of support for that system. Of all our systems (not including our C64, Odyssey2 or Ataris) SNES and N64 seem to have the priciest games yet are so easy to find - the also seem to have been more niche systems designed for certain types of gamers. NES, Dreamcast, Genesis, even Playstation have inexpensive games for all individuals and are readily available in today's market.

Just curious, Adrian, but if Microsoft always does things right why did the lose 500 million dollars on the Xbox last yr. as well as placing 3rd among PS2, Gamecube,Xbox?

- I am not asking to get flamed all, I am mearly curious as to how Adrian will respond to this one. :twisted:

*For the most part I am impartial to systems, sure I do have favorites but I don't really "hate" one or the other. Each definitely fit in it's own niche in our home and we enjoy playing them all for different reasons.

Just curious, Adrian, but if Microsoft always does things right why did the lose 500 million dollars on the Xbox last yr. as well as placing 3rd among PS2, Gamecube,Xbox?

- I am not asking to get flamed all, I am mearly curious as to how Adrian will respond to this one. :twisted:

Interesting data you have there. From my data, the XBOX is firmly in second place (with the GC traling in 3rd)...I'd like to see evidence of your claims.

As for a $500 million loss, that is expected as MS is laying the groundwork for XBOX 2 in this current generation of the console wars. Setting up the XBOX LIVE infrastructure was expensive. Building/distributing the consoles is expensive. And so forth. Are they concerned with turning a profit in the generation of the wars? Not really...and this was stated from the very beginning (basic knowledge really...read Dean Takahashi's "Opening the XBOX" for a detailed view of the XBOX business strategy as well as how the console market works for more insight). MSFT is mainly gunning to get a foothold in this industry which they've done. The REAL work will begin on more EVEN ground (the XBOX launched a year after the PS2) with the XBOX2. Encouragingly enough, game sales are brisk and XBOX LIVE is taking off. You see, standards do make a difference when it comes to building a console correctly...unlike Sony and Nintendo which make you buy haphazard Add-Ons for hard drive and online capabilities.

Microsoft has budgeted some $2 billion in the XBOX platform. They are in it for the long haul and as many know, the XBOX 1 is the trojan horse that allowed MS to penetrate into the console games market (with great success I might add!).

microsoft has the capital to take a staggering loss. It's all part of their plan to create a stranglehold on yet another market. I will never own an X-Box. I feel as strongly about this as Adrian does about the Dreamcast.

-S

microsoft has the capital to take a staggering loss. It's all part of their plan to create a stranglehold on yet another market. I will never own an X-Box. I feel as strongly about this as Adrian does about the Dreamcast.

-S

I'd rather have Microsoft strangling the console market than some lame electronics company (known for their abysmal quality) like Sony.

Nintendo has seen better days and it is now time for them to step aside and focus on the handhelds (or Pokemon). They have clearly fallen by teh wayside as far as console supremacy is concerend and it is best that they simply get out of the way (a la Sega).

Actually Microsoft is not a company I'd recommend for their quality control, considering the buggy versions of software they release and then continually patch after the fact. Not to mention, they've had plenty of hard drive issues in X-Box production.

Took the words right outta my mouth Megamanfan.

I own a PS2 and when the next generation of consoles come out I'll almost certainly buy a PS3. I say almost because there is always the possibility of a dark horse console that hasn't been announced yet. What I will not buy is an X-Box 2 or any other Microsoft-related console.

-S

Adrian M - Interesting data you have there. From my data, the XBOX is firmly in second place (with the GC traling in 3rd)...I'd like to see evidence of your claims.

Chickybaby- Just curious, Adrian, but if Microsoft always does things right why did the lose 500 million dollars on the Xbox last yr. as well as placing 3rd among PS2, Gamecube,Xbox?

Hey jerseydevil, I'm from NJ too. Have you noticed a serious uproar of new gamestops opening everywhere or is it just me?

Where ya from in Jersey? I live about 2 miles from Giants Stadium.

I haven't really noticed any new Gamestops but a lot of the old Funcoland and Software etc have been made into Gamestops. There are a lot of Gamestops here. In my county (Bergen) there are at least 8 stores.

I work in Voorhees, NJ (Home of the Flyers Skate Zone where they work out. In fact my office is right around the corner. I see Coach Hitchcock getting a haircut at the Hair Cuttery here from time to time... Sorry Jerseydevil...I do have a an old replica of a Chico Resch jersey- The one with green shoulders not black) I am fortunate to be close to two Gamestops in Marlton and South Philly that still sell Dreamcast games and equipment. I found a greater proliferation of EBgames rather than Gamestops. The EBs got a better selection of the old stuff, especially the Dreamcast, but I find the prices to be higher than Gamestop. Can't beat Gamestop's 30% off deals.

Actually Microsoft is not a company I'd recommend for their quality control, considering the buggy versions of software they release and then continually patch after the fact.

Those are **NOT** bugs in Windows... they are Undocumented Features!! :D

Are they concerned with turning a profit in the generation of the wars? Not really...and this was stated from the very beginning

I might be wrong here but anytime you are a publicly traded company and lose money, you must face "Revenge of the Investors" at some point. I don't think even MS can afford too many consecutive reported losses before the investors rise up and chant "Off with his head".

But then again, if things look too bleak MS can always release Windows 2K5 or an "updated" (two new pictures) Encarta :D

Mendon

I didn't get in on the SMS or Genesis (or NES) as neither machine really appealed to me at the time and I wasn't that involved with console gaming as my classic systems and classic computers were serving me well. But I did get in on the Saturn the day of its early release (and I think the early release was a BIG mistake and can understand why retailers were PO'd) and loved the system. I bought an import DC months before the U.S. DC release and was standing in line on 9-9-99 waiting for my domestic system.

I've never regretted buying either the Saturn or Dreamcast and I still consider Sega one of the most inovative companies around. Why?

1) the Saturn and DC were the first and only consoles that can browse the internet.

2) free games. I got my first FREE game from Sega with Christmas Nights. Didn't have to pre-order anything or send in any PoP's; just registered my system and one day CN showed up in my mailbox with a nice Thank You note for buying a Saturn.

3) first game with voice recognition: Seaman.

4) creative accessories like the keyboard, modem, broadband adapter, and maracas that actually added to the gaming experience.

5) game-styles or graphic's that hadn't been tried before: Seaman, Jet Grind, and Samba

6) didn't try to censor games. The Saturn version of Duke Nukem included all the hookers & cussing while the N64 removed them for Duke Burger.

7) First gaming network: Sega NetWork.

I could list more but you get the idea.

Sega has made corporate mistakes; perhaps more than other companies have, maybe less. But I'm not sorry I bought any Sega product and they have all provided me countless hours of enjoyment and been money well invested.

Just my opinion.

Mendon

...I do have a an old replica of a Chico Resch jersey-  The one with green shoulders not black)

I miss those old Jerseys, they had more character than the new red and black ones. Of course, the Devils sucked badly in those days, but you could sit downstairs center ice for $10. Now that same seat costs $95.

We don't have many EBs in northern Jersey, we have more Gamecrazys.