IGNORED

Hangly Man - with music

Nukey Shay

Atari Troll

...  You cease to amaze us all Nukey!

I'm betting that Atari Troll meant to insert a "NEVER" in there somewhere. :-)

This hack rules over all other hacks!

@Nukey: If you were to cut out the redundant routines and plumb the code back together, could you free up enough bytes to put Hangly Man, Hangly Man +, Hack'Em, and Hack'Em + all into one 8k ROM?

Not really. The redundancy is there because I can't scrape up enough cycle time to have a generic routine handle differing mazes - almost - but not quite. So I copied the whole thing, and had one set load one maze, the other set load a different maze. A compromise would be to just use the Hack'Em maze as the first one and empty that for the the second...but without gaps in all the walls and the additional tunnels, it wouldn't be much like Hangly Man either. I managed to get the score display and the lower portion where the extra men (nearly 1k total) are changed to handle both mazes, but the rest of it that fills in the center is nearly 1k for each. 1k is devoted to the data and gameplay sprite tables...so that makes the total free space @ 100 bytes in the 1st bank. All the intermission GFX and music routines are in the free area in the 2nd bank (where the gameplay display kernal used to be)...and that is down to about 300 bytes free. Still far away from the 1k mark that would be needed to add in a 3rd maze.

Unless a way can be found to eliminate the copied kernal. If that could be done, 1k would be enough space for roughly 12 mazes (or more...depending on how complex they are).

Still has the possibility of jumping...and I'm going through and trying to cut back on still more cycles used outside of the display (I still have a page of free rom memory left).

On occasion, a monster gets out of bounds in the maze...trying to track down that glitch. I've only seen it happen a couple times...but that's twice too many. (not a game killer, since beating the board corrects it).

Also, there appears to be a page fault in the intermission routine...that's got to be fixed as well. So far, I just mixed things around a bit...but I haven't looked around for it yet (I figured that I'd save that part until they are polished up anyway).

Still bugfixing...

The jitters are almost eliminated...it seems to only happen now when 2 monsters are eaten at the same time (tho I'm still unshure how this is possible...the program should only be dealing with them 1 per frame :?). There is also the slight possiblity that a monster will become out of tune with the maze itself - moving right through walls. I'm currently trying to fix that glitch.

Started changing the score font...so some digits might appear a bit off.

Added upper/lower tunnels to the open maze. There is really only supposed to be one, but the program will not allow an asymmetrical layout for the "rules" to moving sprites...so two tunnels it is.

hangly_man.zip

Still cleaning up...

I think that I've got the problem of monsters moving through walls corrected...this was due to incorrect EOR values being used to change directions. Right now, it appears that there is only a slight timing problem left to correct. The collision detection routine has been altered to check 2 monsters per frame, so that should correct the problem of moving through them (and I was able to narrow the collision parameters a bit...so they won't kill you with the slightest touch).

The score font has been fixed up. Due to timing issues, it's not possible to flash the score anymore..but it's not such a big deal. The logo will still appear at the end of a game.

I also corrected the upper tunnel in the open maze. The top line was appearing/disappearing as monsters moved on that line in the previous version.

hangly_man.zip

A little closer...

Timing during the program section has been increased by 128 cycles. Now it only seems to "bump" very seldom...I think the kernal itself might have an extra cycle someplace :P

I corrected the speed increase for the red monster (when the long timer has it's high bit set)...but now it looks like the "2" symbol got lost someplace :x

I also trimmed out the positioning table from bank2 (for intermissions). Instead, the game flips to bank 1 to grab the correct value and then swaps back. And now I've got 122 bytes free in bank1/204 bytes free in bank2.

hangly_man.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree...but there's no chance of adding that in. Energizers are the same as dots...and they can only appear every Nth scanline.

Still at a standstill on this...since the screen flicker is still present occasionally (haven't tracked down the cause).

I got one of the ghosts stuck in the "straight across the screen" pattern the other day when playing too. Obviously a rather rare occurrence in the latest version but still there.

I'm playing on a real system via a CC2, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What I can play of this is excellent! Great Work Nukey...but can anyone tell me why it is playing as super sonic speed?! in Z26?

All the other games are fine..but this thing is acting like it is on some major steroids!!!

otherwise, it seems good. But in my case it is literally unplayable in emulation on z26 here...

:(

Well..something has changed on my setup. I am running WinXP pro with a new installation of SP2 on it. I have Z26..not sure which version..but It is within the past few months easily...

But I noticed that all my games are now running at like 3x or maybe even 4x speed in Z26. I am sure there was a setting I used to correct this..but I can't remember what it was for the life of me.

Oh well...I did work in StellaX but again, this time it seemed really really slow...