IGNORED

86 Re-Releases. Why?

Tempest

Why did Atari bother to re-release many ancient games in 1986-1988? While some choices were ok (ROTLA, Asteroids, Space Invaders, etc.) the rest were questionable at best. Who in their right minds would by Black Jack, Hangman, Basic Programming, Home Run, or Golf in 1986? These games were outdated by 1979, much less in 1986! Did Atari actually sell any of these or was it just an attempt to empty the warehouses? Maybe it was an early attempt at nostalgia?

Tempest

• Like 1

Isn't this around the time they released the Atari 2600 Jr.? I know many games were released at this time, and they probably re-released many older titles at the same time, since many were probably out of circulation by then. I could be wrong, of course. :)

"The Fun is Back form A-TAR-I!"

..Al

• Like 2

I've wondered about this as well. My only (quite uninformed) conclusion is that it must be one of two reasons:

1. Overstocked ROMs and labels that they figured they'd clear out; what could it hurt to get 'em out there and try to make back some early '80s manufacturing costs?

2. The NES had just caught on in a big way. Atari might've predicted (or already witnessed...my memory's struggling with this) a huge new boom in the home gaming industry, and wanted to have as many products on the shelves as possible, just in case the cartridge-buying mania got anywhere near what it had been in 1982.

Isn't this around the time they released the Atari 2600 Jr.? I know many games were released at this time, and they probably re-released many older titles at the same time, since many were probably out of circulation by then. I could be wrong, of course.  

Yes it was and that might explain the rerelases of Asteroids, Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, and other hits. However it doesn't explain things like Basic Math and Black Jack. Thankfully they did release finished games like Jr. Pac-Man, Midnight Magic, and Solaris.

"The Fun is Back form A-TAR-I!"

Great... Now that will be in my head for hours...

Tempest

Why did Atari bother to re-release many ancient games in 1986-1988?  ... Black Jack

The paranoid conspiracy theorist in me says that the sole reason was to give me yet another picture label to obsess over! :roll:

• Like 1

Wasn't the 5200 being forgotten about while all of these re-releases were coming out. My question is why they stopped supporting that sytem. It could have sold well if Atari didn't treat it like an unwanted child.

The same thing appears to have happened with many 5200 games. I have several 5200 carts with 1986 and 1987 copyrights. These labels are very easy to tell apart from the original releases, as they don't use the fancy silver, foil labels, and instead are just gray (the same as what Atari did with silver label 2600 games). These seem to be pretty uncommon, so it doesn't appear they were produced in great quantities.

..Al

• Like 1

Wasn't the 5200 being forgotten about while all of these re-releases were coming out. My question is why they stopped supporting that sytem. It could have sold well if Atari didn't treat it like an unwanted child.

The same thing appears to have happened with many 5200 games. I have several 5200 carts with 1986 and 1987 copyrights. These labels are very easy to tell apart from the original releases, as they don't use the fancy silver, foil labels, and instead are just gray (the same as what Atari did with silver label 2600 games). These seem to be pretty uncommon, so it doesn't appear they were produced in great quantities.

..Al

5200 games from '87? I know there were some releases in '86, but not '87...

I know I have at least one from 1987, Pac-Man, and I just verified it. I have a fair number of these gray-label carts that I've been hanging onto, but I haven't yet organized them to see exactly what they all are and what the copyright date is on each.

..Al

More importantly, why did they re-release ET? That makes even less sense to me

Could have been when the home video was released. Wasnt that around 86?

I am about 97% sure (for reasons somewhat too embarrassing to mention) that E.T. didn't come out on video until 1990.

@Chris++ (re: warehouse full of old carts):

Well they probably did have a warehouse full of the old carts (or at least old PCBs and chips) but most of these rereleases had new, poorly-done labels.

I know I have at least one from 1987, Pac-Man, and I just verified it. I have a fair number of these gray-label carts that I've been hanging onto, but I haven't yet organized them to see exactly what they all are and what the copyright date is on each.

..Al

Really? I'd really like to see a scan of this...

I believe the re-released silver carts can be identified by the rather less shiny gray inked label (as opposed to the silver foil) -- at least, for the 1988 carts that I know of. I have a RealSports Volleyball and Pole Position cart with a copyright date of 1988 that have the "gray" silver label variation. Probably a cost cutting measure, since foil is much more expensive than glossy paper and ink.

More importantly, why did they re-release ET?  That makes even less sense to me.

Considering how they supposedly destroyed millions of them, why make them again later?

Mine's a copyright '82, although I bought it NIB in '90 . . .

Even selling the older primitive games kinda makes more sense (well, except for the keyboard ones, since they no longer made the controller). I have to agree on that one . . .

At least there wasn't a SwordQuest re-issue . . .