IGNORED

86 Re-Releases. Why?

Tempest

I have heard some of the rereleased Basic Programming carts did not include the required overlays. I have also heard some of the later Activision Space Shuttle carts did not include the required inserts/overlays. Some of the later labels specified the wrong type of controller. All this leads me to believe someone was dumping surplus ROMs.

Wow, that's quite interesting! But I don't undesrstand why a 5200 game would be released the same year the XEGS was released...

Don't look to me for answers, it is a bit puzzling. To think that Atari was possibly making games for the 2600, 5200, 7800 and XEGS all at the same time is somewhat amusing. :)

..Al

• Like 1

More importantly, why did they re-release ET?  That makes even less sense to me.

Considering how they supposedly destroyed millions of them, why make them again later?

Mine's a copyright '82, although I bought it NIB in '90 . . .

Even selling the older primitive games kinda makes more sense (well, except for the keyboard ones, since they no longer made the controller). I have to agree on that one . . .

At least there wasn't a SwordQuest re-issue . . .

then again...

post-1335-1084841579_thumb.jpg

They made this? They made THIS?

And they have a pic from "The Hogan Family" on the back? WTF? Was ALF too expensive for them? And I don't think that series is on the Atari Times list, either . . .

No, let's face it, Jack Tramiel = crackhead. We don't get Klax in the US, and yet, they release the worst games they ever made again . . .

Red label Skeet Shoot is gonna turn up someday, I just know it . . . :)

I still need that one.  Never seen it before.  What does the end label look like?

Tempest

end label is pretty much the same as the normal one, but has a glossy finish like a lot of the re-releases have. the font seems a little thicker, but that could just be printer variance.

manual is in black/white only, and still references the comic book, even though it was not included in the box... that's just like the 1986 basic programming manual which talks about the keyboard overlays, but the box doesn't contain them.

what year was E.T. re-released?

I'm pretty sure that 1986 was a theatrical re-release.

I bet that most of the 86-87 re-releases espcially 5200 ones are just old

stock they were clearing out. Warner payed for the production of all

the games, Tramiel just had to box them to make a few bucks.

I bet that most of the 86-87 re-releases espcially 5200 ones are just old stock they were clearing out. Warner payed for the production of all the games, Tramiel just had to box them to make a few bucks.

Which is why I'm sure that you're just as likely to find a silver or gray "Space Invaders" in a red box as you are a red label one.

I've got about 4 different silver label space invaders, but they all have different end labels. One of them is in blue letters, the other 3 are in red letters but one of them has a different font. They're all dated differently though. 80,86,87,88. The one dated 80 took me by surprise as it's the only silver label game I've seen dated that early. Most of them are between 82-88. :ponder:

• 12 years later...

I still question some of the titles they released (it's 1986 and you want to play Fun With Numbers?!?!). I'm guessing they released what they still had massive inventories of and didn't have to pay any licensing on. That would explain why they're almost all mega early games and none of them were non-Atari arcade ports.

• Like 2

I still question some of the titles they released (it's 1986 and you want to play Fun With Numbers?!?!). I'm guessing they released what they still had massive inventories of and didn't have to pay any licensing on. That would explain why they're almost all mega early games and none of them were non-Atari arcade ports.

That would be my guess too, although Atari Corp. did shell out for some old titles formerly licensed to Coleco like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Q*Bert, Mouse Trap, and Venture.

Regardless, I'm glad they re-released those crusty oldies; they're fun to collect since they're usually pretty funky or have all kinds of typos, printing errors, or alternate fonts and art layouts. Unfortunately, other collectors are catching on and they're getting more expensive now :thumbsdown:. I only wish Atari Corp. would have released a few more of the ones that never had a proper picture label release, like Star Ship, Slot Machine, or Miniature Golf (there was a PAL pic-label version of that, but still). Actually, those might be it. Probably didn't have enough backstock.

• Like 2

I've wondered about this as well. My only (quite uninformed) conclusion is that it must be one of two reasons:

1. Overstocked ROMs and labels that they figured they'd clear out; what could it hurt to get 'em out there and try to make back some early '80s manufacturing costs?

2. The NES had just caught on in a big way. Atari might've predicted (or already witnessed...my memory's struggling with this) a huge new boom in the home gaming industry, and wanted to have as many products on the shelves as possible, just in case the cartridge-buying mania got anywhere near what it had been in 1982.

Edited by atarian63