IGNORED

High Score Club Week 7: Missile Command!

Ze_ro

Man, I don't know how you guys are doing so well at this game... I've been trying to improve my score, and managed to get marginally higher with 16,350 points... but 19 times out of 20, I get completely washed out in the first level!

Are you guys all playing with trackballs? Or am I just not very good at this one?

--Zero

Finally broke 100k!

I'm finally getting the timing down for the smart bombs. It's a heck of a lot easier when you can knock 'em out with one shot!

At first I would keep my cursor all the way down to where it would sit above a city and just gaurd that city and my base by moving left and right. Now I try to head off smart bombs as high as I can and I'm often in the middle of the screen.

Just one mistake and it's over. :)

Zero,

Just concentrate on protecting your base and 1 city directly to the left or right of your base. Also, most of your shots should be in the middle section of the screen, not all the way at the bottom just above your cities. This way you have a second chance to defend your city if you miss. It gets a lot easier once you can tell which missiles are a danger to your city or base and which ones aren't. You just have to study the angles of those missile trails.

Hope that helps. :)

Jeff

Here's what about an hour an 15 minutes will get you... :) As usual, it took me about 2½ hours of playing before I had a good game.

Is it just me, or does it take you guys a while to warm up to a game when you sit down to play? :? If there's not a clear couple of hours, I don't even bother sitting down. :ponder:

And also, how much luck do you think is involved in the game? There were several times when something was heading for my city and my bunker, both at the same time. Sometimes you can use skill to get around it, but other times, it's six of one and half a dozen of another. :|

See you all again on Thursday.

ò¿ó   smiling_to_kaboom.gif

post-178-1085116293_thumb.jpg

Well I can barely play this game at all with the standard Atari joy, but switching to my homebrewed arcade stick yeilded a respectable 317,020. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play some more tonight & Saturday.

-S

....Lee Krueger Should not have to give 20 pacthes for a high score game during a week. I believe the high score patch is something of honor and should be given to the person who lasts the longest. For those who would like to make it an endurance marathon. I say if they make it where they will not count our fliped scores to just post our highest scores anyway and battle for the honor of being the unofficial number one

This has been a problem. My wife is actually making the patches. She has a few done, but is finding it overwhelming. I'm not sure what to do about multiple folks reaching the flip point or maxing out the score. I know I can do it on Missile Command and Megammania. I did once on Kaboom!, but not with small buckets (my hats off to you Todd). We cannot afford to make multiple patches for everyone. We have a backlog as it is. Personally, I feel, if you can roll the socre, you've mastered th game and this is a "Hi-Score" Club, a test of video game skill, not an endurance test.

If anyone has an idea how to work this better.. Perhaps, the first one to max out a score gets a patch. I'm not sure if that is fair. Perhaps, if multiple patches are to be awarded, we will have to charge for them. Those who don't pay, won't get one :(

I will continue to make the patch designs, post them and honor those who've earned the right to one.

Lori and I are thinking of shipping the patches out on a quarterly basis because multiple winners will recieve more than one and it cuts down on the number of trips to the post office (in the case of Todd, we may have to send them via rail car ;)

Perhaps an evaluation of the rules should are in order for maxing out scores.

Just my thoughts.....

Keep on playing though. I am enjoying this immensely.

-Lee

If anyone has an idea how to work this better.. Perhaps, the first one to max out a score gets a patch. I'm not sure if that is fair.
You're right. That would suck. Not everyone can sit down on Monday morning and play for 6 hours until they flip the score.

"In the event of multiple players reaching the maximum score, the player who registered the earliest will receive the patch and the remaining 'max scorers' may order one if desired." ...maybe? :?

ò¿ó   smile_to_atari.gif

I don't see any problem with Lee charging a fee for the winners of the patches. Embroidery is a LOT of work and Lee and his wife should be conpensated for their time.

@Lee--What're you gonna do if someone selects Laser Blast as a game of the week? I know of at least 30 people on these boards who can max that score on their first life. :P

If anyone's keeping track, I got bored last night and rolled the score on Missile Command, then went on to get another 125,670 before I got tired and turned the game off. That's either a score of 999,999, FLIPPED, or 1,125,670 depending on what the rules are :)

I have a suggestion....

If more than 2 people max out or flip a score, then no patches will be awarded. The reason being, that I believe the game (or game variation) will be considered too easy and not worthy of a merit patch. I think this will solve some of our patch probelms and make it more rewarding for those who do earn one.

However, I will still make the patch design and post it, and give credit to those who reach the score for the sake of the club.

As was mentioned, if we select Laser Blast, I don't think it is fair to ask Lori (my wife) to make several patches for everyone. She probably wouldn't do it and ask me to take a hike if I requested this "too" many times of her.

And yes, $$ donations for materials and such are always welcome ;)

-Lee

Why not have the winners of each week's contest pay for their respective badges regardless if 1 person or 5 people max it out?? Seems fair to me and fair to Lee.

Bragging rights belong to the winner and if they want a badge (I know I would if I ever win one of these things!), why not shell out a few bucks for it.

Jerry

Lee,

I would suggest asking the winner if they are interested in the patch - if so I would picth a price to them ($5 or so) and ship them out quarterly. If someday I can win one of these Id be happy to pay such a price for a nice patch. If they dont want it no harm no foul :)

I'm very very slowly getting better at this game... got 17,940 today. This game totally kicks my ass on a regular basis though. I'm hoping that I can break 20k by the end of the week at the very least.

--Zero

I'm still unsure as to a solution for the whole "rolling the score problem"...

I don't want to resort to choosing only extremely hard challenges, because there are plenty of people who have a hard enough time keeping up as it is.

Perhaps the first person who manages to roll the score could propose some sort of "elite" challenge (specifically something that would never be able to turn into an endurance match), and everyone who manages to roll the score would then take on that challenge to fight for a "true #1" spot. For example, an appropriate challenge for Missile Command might be to see how many points you can get doing only the first round (Does this ever reach a maximum?). This extra challenge would likely not lead to any higher rankings or extra Fuji's or anything like that... probably just for bragging rights, breaking ties, or deciding who gets the patch in the end. What do you guys think?

--Zero