IGNORED

High Score Club Week 7: Missile Command!

Ze_ro

I guess flipping the score on Gravitar wasn't good enough to get me a patch.  

Jeff

Sure you can get a patch. Send me your name and mailing address to my EMAIL (resqsoft@earthlink.net). That is the only way you can get one, as long as it was on real hardware.

-Lee

Doing a little better, here's my new score

by the way I personally don't think it's fair that Todd is stopping right before the score flips. We did not do that for Mario Bros. I believe that endurance should be a factor in playing games as well. Remember unless the score maxes out twin galaxies count's everytime you flip the score. Also if we stop right before it flips for every game it would be impossible to beat Todd Rogers. What I am saying is if someone flips the game then that score should count. I think it destroys the essence of what the high score club is about when people like Todd Rogers stop before it flips.

I personally don't think it's fair that Todd is stopping right before the score flips.

I suppose it's up to him where he stops... but given that he got to 1 million so fast, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was able to just play for 3 days straight and roll the score dozens or hundreds of times.

I was hoping that playing on game 16 would prevent people from rolling this one so easily (Well, I think it's pretty hard anyways!). I don't like the idea of these things turning into endurance marathons, but we've also set an unusual precedent where some games (Circus Atari and Mario Bros) encouraged rolling the score, while on others (Gravitar), we just tied everyone at the roll-over point. If anyone can come up with a good solution that keeps things competitive without forcing people to play the game for 10 hour sessions, I'd be more than willing to consider it.

--Zero

were getting far too technical here, this is only supposed to be for fun. If you can flip the score, then in my mind you have mastered the game, the only thing you fight at that point is your endurance and level of concentration rather than the game itself. For Twin Galaxies this is fine, but for the HSC lets just stick to the first roll of the score. :)

I am in favor of endurance! I think that is just a part of video games. Believe me, I won't stop at flipping the score. :)

There can only be one #1 score, and in my opinion that is the only player that should be given the 12 points. You could flip the score and screw up right after! Tough luck. :)

Question:

Do people here "really, really" want me to marathon games that can be marathoned in the spirit of the High Score Club. If the majority ruling does infact want and allow me to do that in the limits of this club then so be it i most certainly will. I didn't want to offend any one by stopping short of 1 million points on Missile Command but like others have said some players can play on and on to the point of 10's of millions. I want to make this as fun and competitive as possiable in lieu of my participation and by the looks of things this was a REAL good concept that was in mind when they thought of this club. There are games that i DO suck at some of my close friends know which games that they are but we will just have to wait and see if someone here picks one of them out until then lets GAME ON and have fun.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

Maybe there could be some general guidelines for playing, like ending at the max score possible before flipping the game. I could have played a lot longer then I did and not only flipped the score, but kept on going until I flipped it again, but I had to go to the bathroom and the game in all honesty ceased being fun and started to be a boring repetetive routine at around 100,000.

I honestly don't think I'll be playing this one again in the foreseeable future.

The problem with these types of games is that they level off after a while and just become a simple boring routine.

One thing I like about the Activision titles is that there is a maximum score possible in most of them whereas a lot of the other games made for the VCS reset to zero and go on forever. Maybe we could just list our scores as "FLIPPED" if the score in a game was flipped back to zero and make that the highest possible score.

I vividly remember playing Pacman on game three for several hours when I was younger to see what happened when I flipped the score. Nothing happned. The game just kept on going. I honestly don't see the point in sitting in front of the TV playing a game for hours on end just to say that you flipped the score X amount of times.

I'm also in favor of developing some sort of a handicapping system to give players of different levels a chance to score some overall points. Maybe a point or two can be awarded to the player who improves his/her score the most from the beginning of the week to the end of the week or something along those lines.

Yes i agree Thomas sort of like that 1 ship only River Raid hack that you made for me for the CGE tournament. BAAAAAAAAAH GACK Asteroids game # 32 that would not be a wise choice but im sure that there are planty of Asteroid players out there who enjoy plaing the game never the less. True the purpose here is skill and how well you execute and play each selected game of the week after all its not called the Marathon Club..LOL..

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

Well despite my earlier comments during the Gravitar HSC. I honestly do not care if someone spends hours on end in an endurance contest. If that is what they wish to do, so be it.

I think for the purposes of the HSC stopping just before it flips is/was a good decision by the better players.

Being that we only have a week to play each title it does not leave much time for marathon contests. I dunno about anyone else but I have a hard enough time squeezing in a few hours much less 7 or days.

Maybe you could create two rankings. One for highest scores achieved overall, and another for most improved. I dunno.

Or maybe a set amount of points for those who reached the score limit, and then a couple points left for those who rank below. If done this way the good players will still be high ranked but at least everyone else will seem close.

Just some ideas.

The reason that I stopped at Megamania is because the game forces you to. This is one thing I do know if I am able to flip a game than I will continue to play until I lose my men or have to go the bathroom or give out. I will still post my high score even if you will only post my high score before I flip. Remember this Lee Krueger Should not have to give 20 pacthes for a high score game during a week. I believe the high score patch is something of honor and should be given to the person who lasts the longest. For those who would like to make it an endurance marathon. I say if they make it where they will not count our fliped scores to just post our highest scores anyway and battle for the honor of being the unofficial number one :twisted: