IGNORED

Creating a Game Room - Suggestions Please?

Hi all!

I havent posted in a LONNNG time, sorry :(

Anyways, ive been collecting Atari 2600 stuff for a year now, but off and on, i only have the vadar system and about 52 games, but im back in it now, so be ready! i also have a gamcube system w/ games and GBA w/ games. And im thinkg of turning my current room, which is very dumb and boring, into a chill out place with my game collection. And i was redoing my room recently, so this is the perfect timing! Right now, everything is in my closet except for my bed dresser and some storage bins with cloths. So i can post pics of what i have to work with, later, cuz right now im in Chicago for soccer.

Anyways!

What do i need/should i have for a game room? I dont have a TV, so i need to get one next weekened, hopefully. Im also thinking of getting a mini fridge.But i need ways to store my games and have my collection out to show, and my future collection. What should i get to make it a game room feel? FYI- im only 14, so i dont have too much money to work with :)

Well hopefully this is enuff info to start out with...if you have any questions, feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks in advance

Megan

A game room starts with the chair you play your games on. You can look at Goodwill or and used funiture or thrift store for a cheap comfy chair. Also get an uncomfortable chair if you invite anyone over to play games to give yourself a home field advantage.

As for tvs, sometimes you can go to a store and buy a display model for cheap. I got a 27' RCA from Walmart for $100 because it was a display model and had a few sctaches on the side.

Check your newspaper's classified ads, sometimes you can find a good deal on furniture, tvs, and even games.

What do i need/should i have for a game room? I dont have a TV, so i need to get one next weekened, hopefully. Im also thinking of getting a mini fridge.But i need ways to store my games and have my collection out to show, and my future collection. What should i get to make it a game room feel? FYI- im only 14, so i dont have too much money to work with :)

A games, a TV and systems are really all you need. The rest is just cosmetic.

Well lets see...

Storage bins to store consoles and extra controllers. check

TV ... a yeah that would help

Something to sit on, preferebly comfortable.

A receiver and speakers to pump that sound thru.

Some type of switch box to hook your multiples systems to.

A power strip to plug everything into.

A clock so you wont lose track of time.

Maybe an entertainments center with shelves so you can store your currently being used systems in there.

I use bookshelves to show my stuff. I picked up 3 DVD storage thingies from best buy that can hold up to like 1500 DVD's or something like that. Most game boxes fit great and the shelves are mostly adjustable.

That's about it off the top of my head.

There are usually 2 types of games room.

1. Just to play your favourite games

2. a museum to display your prized stuff in as well as play in.

First you need to decide what one you want, then I suggest you look at other people gaming environments and borrow all the best ideas.

Hmmmm...

Well i think i want it to be more as a museum to show of my collection, and so that i can play them. But right now i really dont have that big of a collection to work with :)

Im heading home soon back to Minnesota, so hopefully i can take some pics and show u guys what i have to work with.

Thanks, Megan

PS- Where are some other sites i can look other peoples game room's? I know theres DP and i saw some on videogamebible.com, but are there any else?

I have an intristing way for you to hook up suround sound. Listen carefully.

What you need:

-T.v.

-Inexpensive or newer stereo

-cd player to cassete player adapter

-speaker wire

-speakers

1st. Go and get yourself a good stereo, I got a 5 cd, 2 cassete one at Office max for around 80 Bucks. Makesure its around 80 watts.

2nd. go to any A.v. store and get the cassete adapter. Looks like a tape with a wire coming out.

3rd. Make sure your t.v. has a hedphone jack

4th. Get some speaker wire

5th. Go to some auctions and get some speakers. I got 4 huge Sony ones for 10 bucks. You can also mod RCA speakers by chopping the ends off.

6th. instalation: Position your speakers where you want them. Wire them to the stereo. plug the plug of the cassette adapter into the tv. and the cassete into the stereo. hit down the play button and here the volume.

Oh, you might want to get a nice broken in couch.

Centerice, IKEA has the best home furnishings for the bes prices.

Here's a great cabinet $20, glass doors so you can see your collection, adjustable shelves for whatever height you need them. The other plus is they're cheap enough you can get a couple of them now or later depending on your budget and the size of your collection.

And the stool is great because you can also use it for storage... it's only $35....

I'm also pretty partial to these checkmark wall shelves.... imagine your games stored in plain sight... at an angle....they'll look like they are climbing the wall :) Not to mention really reasonable at $9 a piece....

Now if you have a little extra money or can save up or hit the parents up for some I say try to get the futon armchair, it's only $90, I think I'm going to pick one up for my son my next trip to IKEA, it's way more comfortable than the brick he's using now..... not to mention it comes with the mattress, which most futons you have to buy separate....

I love decorating! here's the link to IKEA online so you can browse to your hearts content... I love IKEA because their stuff is modern and inexpensive.... in other words perfect for me.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/index.html

post-2859-1086055324_thumb.jpg

post-2859-1086055325_thumb.jpg

post-2859-1086055326_thumb.jpg

post-2859-1086055327_thumb.jpg

I mite try out that surround sound thing once i pick up my stero. Thanks for the tips :)

Foxy,

Thanks so much for the IKEA links and pics. I love the futon chair!! I looked at the store locator, and the store in St.Paul/Minneapolis store doesnt open til July 14th....:( which is a bummer, but maybe i can find a diff. store closer.

Thanks again :)

Megan

Number 1 has to be book cases, and more book cases. Tall but rather slim unless you want to double over carts. A king size sofa bed, good for when you want to escape and watch a vcd or something. A nice tv, better then the one in your living room if possible.

Wow I really like that stool that Foxy pictured but its not sold in the UK Ikea's :(

I saw it last time I went to one. I think it must have been in the old catalogue. It's designed as a games chair for kids. You lift off that clear seat, put the console inside and the leads run out of the chair to the contollers/mains/TV. They're quite small but pretty funky all the same.

For my gameroom, I ripped out the nasty wood paneling, and built shelves in between the studs. It's cheaper, and will save tons of room. Get a couch (preferably an old one like Al Bundy had), a small fridge for next to the couch filled with some good ol' video game medicine. If yer into the 80's games, try making a room from the 80's, Iron Maiden on the stereo, Space Invaders on the screen. People will think you're nuts, but it would be a good conversation piece.

Wow I really like that stool that Foxy pictured but its not sold in the UK Ikea's :(

I saw it last time I went to one. I think it must have been in the old catalogue. It's designed as a games chair for kids. You lift off that clear seat, put the console inside and the leads run out of the chair to the contollers/mains/TV. They're quite small but pretty funky all the same.

Wouldn't that mean you have to stand up and turn around to change games?

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/se...162&cattype=sub

I know it's a big link but oh well that should get you to it......

hit the product selector - sofas, sofa-beds & armchairs - sofa beds - futon and viola!

:wink:

you cant go wrong with media storage units, nothing fancy either just those plain wood things they sell at record stores with the "napa vineyards" stamp on them.

the cassette ones are perfect for loose genesis, astrocade, SMS, jaguar carts, they also work for cased game gear and game boy games.

CD size racks (without individual spacers) are great for all CD games of course but also work well for 5200, channel F, TI-99 carts, boxed virtual boy, lynx and NGPC.

video tape racks are great for boxed genesis, SMS, N64, jaguar, SNES games.

a decent bookshelf will cover the rest, several of mine came from the trash but once they're filled up with boxed games nobody looks at wood anyways. avoid using a particle board (most ikea stuff) for your TV/system shelf, they'll sag under the weight and often come apart at the shelf edges. i use a stainless steel metro wire shelf (like you would see in a kitchen). it can hold a ton of weight and the open structure means the wires can go where ever they need to without making ratholes in the back of the shelf.

plastic drawers and tubs are good for storing your extra cables and controllers, once your collection gets rolling you'll find that wire piles and tangles are a gamers worst foe. try using baggies or rubber bands to keep em seperate.

all for now...oh anyways i'm constantly rearranging my game room, in some strange way its one of the funnest parts of the hobby for me.

I just covered an entire wall in my game room with shelves. Nothing fancy, just some pine 1x10 boards and shelf brackets, but now I can finally display all of my game systems, controllers and games and everything is easy to access. I spent about $40 at Home Depot on materials and about two hours putting them up.

My game room is small and pretty crowded with my desktop computer with it's two monitors, my MAME cabinet, woodgrain TV (RF input for classic systems), composite monitor (composite input for modern systems), and the wall covered with consoles, CDs and carts. It's my favorite spot in the house! :D

-S