IGNORED

High Score Club Week 10: Vanguard

Ze_ro

I'm having a hard time playing this game (espiaclly on the emulator)

I'm using setting b/b what is evrybody else using.

Also I'm using the keys and not conrtoller.(I'll try with controller see if I'm better)

I tried with controller,I found out I do better with keys.

I still didn't get a good enough score for the club.

hopefully I'll get better.

Im Back

Congratulations for surviving a turd of a game. :lol:

LOL

When this game was in the arcades (well, actually the arcade was the front of Zayer's :D ) I was obsessed with it; it was one of my all-time favorites to play. I seem to remember that in the arcade version, when you hit the ENERGY bar, you could fly your ship through the walls and eat away at them. Was it like that? I had to have been around 8 years old then so my memory is shakey...

I forgot how bad the 2600 version was but I will try and tough it out to keep up with good ole' Todd ;)

Honestly though, the 2600 version isn't all that bad when you think about it, just that the difficulty never increases past he second wave which can make it a little boring.

132,070... woo! It seems that every time I try this game, I have to have one fairly bad play, and then one play that beats my old record. Oh well, I'm not complaining if the second play breaks my record each time ;)

I don't understand why people don't like this game, I think it's great! It's certainly less repetitive than most 2600 shooters, and any 2600 game that pulls off horizontal scrolling gets an extra point in my book! The only parts of the game that I found disappointing were the fact that the difficulty doesn't really go up all that much (luckily the game only gives out two extra lives at most, otherwise I would have rolled it by now), and the final level with Gond is rather lame... everything else is great though.

Here's some more tips:

On the "striped zone", the left and right sides will be the same for each iteration, so if you find one side easier, then stick with that one and forget about the other side. I'm not sure at the moment which will get you the most points though.

If you're feeling brave, you might want to pass up the invulnerability... you'll be able to shoot down ships easier with your guns than by running into them while invulnerable, so as long as you can avoid getting killed, you'll likely get more points if you don't get the invulnerability!

For the horizontal scrolling levels, you're better off staying near the far left of the screen. This gives you more time to react to missiles that are fired at you. Enemies on these waves only move to the left, so you never have to worry about getting hit from behind or anything like that. Resist the urge to move forward to shoot a stalled enemy, even if he's the last one left... once he's gone there may be another wave of enemies that'll show up immediately after he dies, and you'll be in a bad position to deal with them.

There are only two "worlds" in this game (I'm referring to the map they show you after you beat Gond), and they keep repeating the same levels in the same order... it might help to keep in mind which level you'll be going into so that you can prepare yourself for where the enemies will be coming from.

For the Kremlus wave (the snakes that you can dock with), you might want to only dock with them twice, and then start shooting them. This leaves you a small margin of error in case you hit one by accident later on. However, docking with them is worth a good chunk of points, so try to make sure you get in that 3rd docking before the Romeda's come after you!

--Zero

Damn, I had a really good run going... I was sure to break 200k, but somehow I got killed twice in a row on that stupid striped zone :(

Oh well, 186,100. I'm determined to break into the top 3 on this game.

By the way, I noticed this as a tip on AtariAge's page for Vanguard:

"Collect the small "E-boxes" and gain extra invincibility time by running into an opponent. The invincibility music will restart each time an opponent is touched, allowing for a longer duration"

This is completely wrong... the music does NOT restart after you hit an enemy! Or am I not understanding this properly? :?

--Zero

Well that damn continue option screwed me up! I was over 83,000 (& not realizing I was on my last man) I hit the fire button when I died, not being able to get a screen shot or the exact score!!! I'll settle for 83,000 even, but I'll leave final judgment up to Zero.

- Sal