IGNORED

Most under-rated 2600 games

Red 5

We all know Adventure is on most people's top ten list, but I was just interested in seeing games that people loved that might not be so popular.

I personally could not stop playing Tunnel Runner and still think it was the best game made for atari. The first 'First Person' video game I can think of.

Fathom was also a favorite of mine. I thought it was genious how the levels expanded every time you saved the mermaid.

And last on my list of great under rated games... Maze Craze.

The two player version was fantastic. Automatic maze generator meant it was never the same game twice and being able to put up a fake dead end in 2 player mode made this the first Mario Kart in my book.

I only have Room of Doom (with manual :) ) but I would agree that particular game stands out from other atari games. What one would you recommend as a 'must have' on the 'fun to play' side as opposed to just collecting?

I only have Room of Doom (with manual :) ) but I would agree that particular game stands out from other atari games. What one would you recommend as a 'must have' on the 'fun to play' side as opposed to just collecting?

I really like Cakewalk, Cosmic Swarm, Mines of Minos and Stronghold. If you get a chance, give them a go on an emulator. They're all standouts IMO.

Spacemaster X-7. I love this game... I got it for my birthday when I was a little kid

and played it all the time. It's challenging, and has a difficulty level that increases, but at a reasonable pace.

Dark Cavern. (You knew from my icon that I was going to say it.) It's a lot of fun, requires quite a bit of

skill to be really good at (on the hard difficulty with the swivel-headed robots), and has the added challenge of limited ammo.

Tapeworm. Yes, it's Snake, and everyone's played Snake for every platform since

the abacus. But it's a really nice implementation of it... the graphics are cute,

the walls and birds make it challenging, and the darkness level is a great touch.

Frogs and Flies. No, it's not complicated, by any stretch of the imagination.

But it IS fun, and a great test of timing. It's one of those games that's really

great for two players. Not to mention the adorable firefly.

Towering Inferno. I don't know if you can say this one is underrated, since I've heard

a lot of people talk about how much they like it, but it's not as well-known as a lot of games,

and it's always been one of my favorites.

Marauder... Motorodeo... and Secret Quest get my votes. If Motorodeo wasn't so bloody rare, I bet it would be near the top of everyone's lists... the game is almost 2-player Excitebike for the VCS.

--Zero

Marauder... Motorodeo... and Secret Quest get my votes. If Motorodeo wasn't so bloody rare, I bet it would be near the top of everyone's lists... the game is almost 2-player Excitebike for the VCS.

Just got Secret Quest last weekend and agree with you completely.

The first time I was hooked on a new (to me) Atari game since I was a kid.

I'll second E.T. .... great game and doesn't deserve the constant bashing.

I definitely agree... I spent a lot of time playing E.T. when it came out, and it doesn't

deserve its reputation. I think a lot of people were turned off by falling in pits

and having trouble getting out right away and never tried it long enough to realize it's a

lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

E.T is was one of my favorite....and Asterix/taz is excellent!

Star wars Death star and Empire' date=' fishing derby and Starmaster are on my top list also![/quote']

Starmaster was definitely up there for me.

WAY better than Star Raiders.

I even liked Starmaster better than the Starpath version PhaserPatrol.

Lots of people like E.T. (contrary to the 'worst game ever' posts I always see...)

Recently got a copy of Solar Fox, and can't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe it's because I'm terrible at it? :wink:

I had Private Eye way back when (shouldn't we trademark that phrase or something?) but my parents accidentally threw out the instruction manual the day after I bought it; I never completed one game on it properly!

I remember loving Reactor all those years ago. Just got it again a few months ago and can't see why I liked it so much, maybe for the music?

Must say one of my all-time favorite 2600 games is Super Breakout, particularly Progressive. I could play Progresive for hours when I was 10 years old. These days, I almost came close to an hour at it a few weeks ago...

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I loved beating that game because I knew I accomplished something difficult...when I was a kid at least. :)

MK

Same here. I was the ONLY one in my group of friends that solved it.

I thought I was hotstuff till SwordQuest brought me back to earth....I could not figure that out for the life of me.

Closet ET fan too...did I say that outloud :ponder:

Most under-rated games:

Spike's Peak(I love this game, but most people can't look past the difficulty)

Return of the Jedi(simple, but a fun game nonetheless)

Venture

Most underplayed good games:

Secret Quest

Crossbow

Xenophobe

Blueprint

Up n' Down

Tomcat F-14